DJI And AMA Launch Joint Drone Safety And Training Program
3173 9 2017-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Drone Maker and Model Aircraft Organization Expand Public Safety and Education Efforts

February 15, 2017 – DJI, the world’s leading maker of unmanned  aircraft systems, and the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA), the  nation’s leading voice for aircraft modelers, are launching a joint  program to promote safe and responsible drone operations, train public  safety officers to use drones effectively, and support educational  outreach efforts.

DJI and the AMA will collaborate on other potential opportunities to  mutually support their missions and provide new programs and options for  those interested in small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS), the FAA’s  formal designation for drones. Both organizations will become more  visible in each other’s outreach and communications channels, and will  explore joint activities to inspire youth and adults to become involved  in model aviation and recreational drone flying.

“Safe operations in the national airspace are of the upmost  importance to the AMA,” said AMA Executive Director Dave Mathewson.  “This cooperative effort will further those safety efforts as we build  educational programs for those planning to use DJI products as they  explore the many activities that drones make possible.”

“By working with the AMA, we are encouraging safe operations by our  pilots who are looking to progress in the hobby and to reach new  audiences through this partnership,” said Ryan Tong, DJI General  Manager, San Francisco Office. “Recreational and educational operations  are a key source of innovation in technology, and model aviation in  particular inspires many to pursue careers in sciences, robotics,  aviation, and beyond.”

“As a Life Member of AMA, I know first-hand the value of its  community engagement and educational programming,” said Brendan  Schulman, Vice President of Policy & Legal Affairs for DJI.  “I am  excited for DJI to bring the latest in technology to AMA's membership,  and to work together to preserve the freedom to operate model aircraft  for recreational and educational purposes.”

DJI and the AMA will develop and promote a joint AMA membership  offering; advocate for the accessibility, affordability and safety of  personal drones; offer dedicated online support for pilots; and develop  youth programs to nurture interest in pathways to aviation and  technology careers.

The two organizations will work together to promote the AMA Public Safety course,  a hands-on training experience that provides public safety officers the  knowledge needed to safely and effectively use drone technology in  their daily jobs. The course includes live training in flight skills and  orientation management, culminating in a series of flights to apply  their skills in simulated public safety missions.

DJI will also provide support to all of the AMA’s educational outreach efforts, including the UAS4STEM drone construction and flight competition for teens, by offering a 10% discount on DJI products.

AMA.png
2017-2-16
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh! Cool. I am the member of AMA. lol
2017-2-16
Use props
SkyerUAS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1754019 ft
United States

It's geat to see DJI continuing to expand it's engagement with the aeronautical community.

SKYER
“Fly your drone as though you were flying in it yourself…”
See aerial short films at my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC304REG4t2_OWJmQDHLvQ2w
2017-2-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

DJI Joe, wow!! Am I surprised to read about this? No, not at all. Perhaps it should have happened before now, but no time like the present.
That's going to be a great partnership. I think it's something that will educate many-many people in the future. Propelling them along a smart and beneficial path.
Being a member of www.MAAC.com and our local www.ercha.ca.has brought me many unexpected rewards along my few years being involved with others, who have a similar passion for this adventure.
Having the mentorship and sharing the hobby with several likeminded individuals has been extremely satisfying, and very helpful. Appreciating their vast RC wisdom and many combined years of experience.
That's not something that comes along without great effort and a huge love of this rewarding hobby. It becomes a lifestyle when you spend this much valuable time and effort into its development and progression.
Congratulations for all of you folks, towards such a wonderful step forward, in the RC world. I know there will be many unseen and unexpected rewards that will surely be heading your way, from this kind of education, mentorship and fellowship. The comraderie we have to experience, meeting other like minded individuals along the way, can be one of the biggest and most appreciated parts of the sport.

I look forward to seeing the success of this combined, joint venture. It should be interesting and invaluable for thousands of eager RC participants. Such a bright idea. Way to shine...

RedHotPoker
2017-2-17
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-17 11:23
DJI Joe, wow!! Am I surprised to read about this? No, not at all. Perhaps it should have happened before now, but no time like the present.
That's going to be a great partnership. I think it's something that will educate many-many people in the future. Propelling them along a smart and beneficial path.
Being a member of www.MAAC.com and our local www.ercha.ca.has brought me many unexpected rewards along my few years being involved with others, who have a similar passion for this adventure.

Thanks for the insight. Steps like this are way more significant than the publicity surrounding it implies.
2017-2-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-2-17 12:08
Thanks for the insight. Steps like this are way more significant than the publicity surrounding it implies.

I'm probably going to be rambling here, so please excuse me.
DJI Joe, I don't give a darn about publicity. Where my interest and positive thoughts are concerned, involves the education and mentorship of young , up and coming RC pilots, who may never have a program such as this, without your wise participation. Being that DJI is already the worlds number one RC drone manufacturing company, it's another no brainier in educating them new pilots in a worthy and respectful program. Allowing the future of the drone industry to progress in a positive and publicly respected future. In the recent past we all have been painted in a dark and negative light, if only from the few inconsiderate unthinking pilots who have been doing stupid if not illegal drone piloting antics.

Being educated, and taught the correct way to fly, goes along with learning to fly intelligently, respectfully and safely. I wish more kids and young adults were also introduced to gun safety programs. Perhaps the accidental fatality statistics would drop way down. Education is the key. It's not really much different in firearms safety to the piloting of our drones. Respect, knowledge and proper education is the key to opening the door to much greater future possibilities. It's a benefi to everyone. Pilots and the general public alike. A Win~Win situation. My hat's off to you.
It never ceases to amaze me how DJI continues to develop and grow as a brilliant company.  Such a smart company. One which has a lot of respected class and unique style.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-17
Use props
DJI Tom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

I like the idea of the AMA!  Will help to create more responsible use of drones.  I do want to share for all those pilots who plan to use their drones to earn cash, you will need to get your FAA UAS certification and it does not have to cost you $300 to $400 for classes.  I receive my cert a month ago with a week of study (granted I have been flying drones for over 15 years, but I am no genius).  I watched a few YouTube videos on sectional charts and airspace, and downloaded this nice Googleplay app call UAS107 (see below link) for around $4.  Pass the exam my first attempt with an 85%.  Now the exam is not an easy one by NO means, it took me almost the entire exam time to complete.  But I did pass and all I spent was $154 which included the exam fee.  

Be responsible no matter where you fly and please follow all national and local laws.  Safe flying !

UAS107: https://play.google.com/store/ap ... nrobotix.labs&hl=en
2017-2-22
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Being extremely involved with the AMA and a R/C instructor myself, I have have been working with our AMA District associate VP to push for this training for quite some time.  I am wondering just how DJI will provide support to all of the AMA’s educational instructors. Chartered Clubs are non-profit and it would be great to see DJI provides materials and tools for these volunteer clubs making it attractive for them to jump in giving up the time to teach. I will assume most multirotor student pilots will learn and leave and be much safer out in the world but won't stick around for the needed revenue to clubs as the fields have nothing interesting to photgraph. Maybe some will stay and learn helicopter and fixed wing aircraft but the majority will head off to the world outside the flying fields.
2017-2-23
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Maybe DJI could put some efforts into getting a more globalized recognition of drone registrations and certification, which is still an issue today - especially in the hobby segment. Most of us buy drones for travel photography, and it seems nowadays you need a separate "registration" for almost every country.
2017-2-24
Use props
rblades
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65531 ft
United States

that's one nice thing about already being a pilot  it sure makes the test a lot easer  17000 with 3 type rating  have to say it has been a while since I looked at a vfr chart   
2017-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules