Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Autofocusing and External Mic Questions
923 8 2017-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ranze
lvl.2

United States

Just wanted opinions/clarifications on autofocusing and mic. I just want to make sure I have a fully working unit. Thanks in advance for the help:

Autofocusing: Before I made my purchase I read that autofocus doesn't work while you're actively recording. I just tried walking around the house to test this theory aaaand I don't notice much of any change/focusing showing on my phone screen while activity recording. Is this FIXED (through the last update)? This leads me to a second question about focusing. Should I be able to notice a BIG difference between when I do tap on object on my phone to focus vs when I don't tap on an object?

Mic/Audio: I bought a Rode Video Go and the video Micro. I noticed this issue happen more on the Go. But When I record something on the OSMO and play it back, (tapping the play button, on the bottom left) on the recording window on my phone. I HEAR STATIC POPPING-type noises when the connection between the mic cord and the Osmo is touched or "bumped." Like if you were listening to something on your phone and you plug in headphones, there are small popping as the jack is getting put into the plug. Like as if there's a loose connection between a jack and the plug (on any device). I've checked the connection between the wires and the mic and Osmo, and it's completely flush. But at times, if I happen to take a faster step or accidentally bump into something, there are thoses noises!

BUT HERE'S THE TWIST: When I get out of the active recording screen and back out to the apps home screen and play from the "Editor" tab, the static (static pops) aren't there... but in place of where the pops would be, there a VERY SMALL REMNANT of a small small pop (not static-y)... My question, IS THIS NORMAL? That A LOT OF STATIC POPPING happens when you playback through the actual phone monitor/recording screen  VS. playing it back from the editor (outside of recording, but within the app)? Or do you think there's a loose fit in the socket of the Osmo? I only had the Osmo for a week, nor have I went "OUTSIDE" to record much. I've been inside my home testing out all the functions, so it wouldn't be me, being harsh to the unit or anything....

Hopefully my description makes sense and someone could give some insight if this is normal or if this is something that needs to be addressed/fixed. Thanks for your time and consideration.

2017-2-16
Use props
Ranze
lvl.2

United States

No tips from DJI and the community? We have accepted that THIS IS THE STANDARD? Sad day.... Good luck with everyone.
2017-2-17
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

In a nutshell, this is how the Osmo+ focus works. The only time it will 'autofocus' is when you zoom the lens while you are recording a clip. It re focuses at the end of the zoom adjustment. Apart from that you have two options. Focus while shooting by tapping the screen where you want the focus to be. Make sure you have the focus icon active and not the exposure icon. The other option is to select 'infinity' focus. This will focus and lock the Osmo on the hyperfocal distance and give you acceptable focus from about 2 metres to infinity, ideal for action shooting at wide angle.
You won't notice a big change to the image on the phone display when you touch focus at wide angle but at longer focal lengths you should see a clear change of focus.
When you touch focus the Osmo will lock focus until you focus again.
It's normal to pick up audio noise if you knock the microphone lead.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Dave
2017-2-18
Use props
Ranze
lvl.2

United States

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-2-18 01:38
In a nutshell, this is how the Osmo+ focus works. The only time it will 'autofocus' is when you zoom the lens while you are recording a clip. It re focuses at the end of the zoom adjustment. Apart from that you have two options. Focus while shooting by tapping the screen where you want the focus to be. Make sure you have the focus icon active and not the exposure icon. The other option is to select 'infinity' focus. This will focus and lock the Osmo on the hyperfocal distance and give you acceptable focus from about 2 metres to infinity, ideal for action shooting at wide angle.
You won't notice a big change to the image on the phone display when you touch focus at wide angle but at longer focal lengths you should see a clear change of focus.
When you touch focus the Osmo will lock focus until you focus again.

Thanks for the insight Dave. I'll definitely just tap on the screen on my phone and yes I am on the green focus, not yellow exposure. But even when currently recording or watching playback, I don't see a significant change in focus. Maybe because the depth perception isn't much on the objects I was viewing/testing this on. But  you did bring up a good point about zoom. I haven't used this feature yet I figured to keep it un-zoomed to keep the quality of the film, and just zoom, with FCPX, during the editing.

May I ask, do you use the infinity focus function? and what are your thoughts on it rather than the autofocus or tap on screen focus. It just sucks, from what I read, that camera doesn't pic up on subject and focus on it's own. So I guess I have to make it a habit to always be tapping on something while filming. SMH. Thanks again.
2017-2-18
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I use the infinity lock if I'm shooting full wide angle in a fast moving environment . You'll get perfectly acceptable sharp footage for a subject at 2 metres and beyond. However with any camera there is only ONE perfect focus point and if you increase the zoom/focal length it becomes more critical to nail the focus. I wouldn't use the 'infinity lock' with anything other than full wide.
I use the zoom to frame my shots, rarely to 'zoom' while actually shooting. You can get some nice differential focus footage by shooting at a longer focal length and some nice 'macro' close ups too.
Remember the Osmo+ has a partial optical zoom. This has a different optical effect than the extended digital zoom or enlarging in post.

I find the 'tap to focus' an excellent way to work. I like the fact that it locks the focus even when you re-compose. The problem with a fully automated focus is that you are relying on the hardware to select exactly what you want in focus..not you!

Have fun!
2017-2-18
Use props
Ranze
lvl.2

United States

<---- This is my first ever TEST SHOT OUTDOORS!

I have calibrated my Osmo+ more than once, because of my worry from what I've read about this tilt problem. Sad there's already a tilt only a week of getting this, out of the box.
Yes I HAVE THE CURRENT FIRMWARE. YES, I'VE RESETTED AND CALIBRATED MULTIPLE TIMES. And THIS WASN'T THE FIRST. This is the only one I posted because I told myself give it a shot outdoors and outside of the house.

Also, If you listen around Second(s) 5-6, 11-12, and ,especially, the last half of the clip: CRACKLING AND POPPING! I must also add! I DID NOT EVEN USE MY EXTERNAL MIC BECAUSE I WAS ONLY TESTING VIDEO AND FILMING. So this cannot be through the leads/mic cord. This was going on inside my home while I was just practicing the basic functions at home. Now that I'm out, it's even more. I don't think this is normal, especially since I've only had it for a week and this is out the box!?

Can someone address this issue? I really don't think this is normal...especially since this is suppose to be a brand new unit that I JUST BOUGHT FROM DJI! Again, THIS CAN'T BE NORMAL....
2017-2-20
Use props
Ranze
lvl.2

United States

There's clearly a tilt issue and audio issue. and this is ONE WEEK OUT AND THIS IS MY FIRST REAL USE OF THIS OUTSIDE MY HOME. Spending $900+ on an Osmo and Accessories, this should NOT be the standard of quality using this product, is it?! If IT IS, everyone that has been all for Osmo and DJI, must be losing it. Please tell me I'm not crazy with my tilt and audio problems.
2017-2-20
Use props
Ranze
lvl.2

United States

And no that's not my hand rubbing the mic, because I consciously made sure that I was holding the Osmo lower than normal to make sure that it's not my figure touching the input plug or rubbing over the mic. On the 3rd day having this I posted about this and I thought I was crazy, maybe because I didn't have an external mic. I bought a mic that may have been faulty, because of static from touching/rubbing on the cords/leads. So I bought a second mic, it was a lot less, but still there every now and again when I happen to step a certain way......

Now I FINALLY tried this outdoor.... without a mic.... and now this.... LET'S HOPE SOMEONE AND SOMEONE FROM DJI can EXPLAIN AND FIX THIS PROBLEM only having this UNIT, LITERALLY, a week and a couple of days.....
Also, I find it kind of odd that I've been asking about this to get clarity from DJI and YET! THEY HAVN'T REPLIED. I would be left hanging YET AGAIN if it weren't for another user/customer....
2017-2-20
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ranze Posted at 2017-2-20 00:20
And no that's not my hand rubbing the mic, because I consciously made sure that I was holding the Osmo lower than normal to make sure that it's not my figure touching the input plug or rubbing over the mic. On the 3rd day having this I posted about this and I thought I was crazy, maybe because I didn't have an external mic. I bought a mic that may have been faulty, because of static from touching/rubbing on the cords/leads. So I bought a second mic, it was a lot less, but still there every now and again when I happen to step a certain way......

Now I FINALLY tried this outdoor.... without a mic.... and now this.... LET'S HOPE SOMEONE AND SOMEONE FROM DJI can EXPLAIN AND FIX THIS PROBLEM only having this UNIT, LITERALLY, a week and a couple of days.....

There absolutely is a kellogg cereal issue on the Osmo. I recently purchased an Inspire 1 pro and got a used Osmo handle to complement the X5, So far I'm pleased with the results, but the pops are a bit annoying. Perfectly honest with you, the pops I'm getting are happening with the internal mic only, I use a wireless levalier as external and have not experienced the popping on that mic, sound is clean as a whistle.
2017-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules