New Orlando Drone Laws
1699 13 2017-2-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BlazeAir
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

People who are planning on vacationing to Orlando and bringing their Mavic, or any drone, along with them to fly around that fun city might want to check out this news story first. The Florida city that is home to many fun attractions, just passed a new drone law. Found this story earlier, I have attached the link if you are interested in finding out more.
https://www.airvuz.com/video/AV-News-Orlando-Drone-Ordinance?id=58a73a6ad872cc3a5c329f86

Let me know your thoughts on this new Orlando Ordinance.

2017-2-17
Use props
BlazeAir
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Something is up with that link above, here is the correct link.... Sorry about that!

https://www.airvuz.com/video/AV- ... 3168f3fe63b60c9ed16
2017-2-17
Use props
FLwaverunner
lvl.1

United States

I like this approach. I wouldn't mind getting a permit to fly. Sounds like they are trying not to exclude drone hobbyists like so many other cities are doing.
2017-2-17
Use props
msisrael
lvl.4
United States

Seems crazy to not have a weight threshold.  Technically a Tiny Whoop would not be exempt from the ordinance.
2017-2-19
Use props
fans1c1296f5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just came from Orlando, I didnt know about this new law, I was just going by the regular FAA regulations. I was able to fly around the Orlando Eye after making a few calls for clearance
2017-2-20
Use props
Pwfirst
lvl.3
United States

I think it is another money maker for the city, better than a drone ban.
2017-2-20
Use props
devGOD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

$150 annually not a big cost i'd pay it if i lived in Orlando. it's really not a big deal
2017-2-20
Use props
Wes1977
lvl.2
Flight distance : 363862 ft
United States

devGOD Posted at 2017-2-20 21:15
$150 annually not a big cost i'd pay it if i lived in Orlando. it's really not a big deal

I think it's a big deal.  It's a very high tax in my opinion.   I do like if you have your Part 107 you can fly with out a permit.  
2017-2-21
Use props
Vimlossus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 113071 ft
United States

I think it's a very big deal. What most people are also forgetting to mention is that in order to get the yearly waiver, you need to have insurance. Not a big deal for Part 107 flyers, but for the hobby guy just trying to fly in his backyard, which might be near a school, will have to get insurance for a micro uas.

This is also reporting that if you have your part 107, you do not need the waiver, but that is nowhere in print in the actual city ordinance. So either the person mis-understood, or they have changed it and not published it, that part is not correct as far as I know.

To me, its just a way for the city to get money out of the drone industry. They cite safety concerns, but if you pay $150 a year, you can do whatever you want. Doesn't sound like safety to me, just a money grab.
2017-2-21
Use props
neo0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 115997 ft
United States

it's good in one way and bad on other way..$20 to $150 is greed of Orlando prices, it  should not be that steep.  I agreed that there  should be safety measure imply.
2017-2-21
Use props
neo0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 115997 ft
United States

it's good in one way and bad on other way..$20 to $150 is greed of Orlando prices, it  should not be that steep.  I agreed that there  should be safety measure imply.
2017-2-21
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Vimlossus Posted at 2017-2-21 07:17
I think it's a very big deal. What most people are also forgetting to mention is that in order to get the yearly waiver, you need to have insurance. Not a big deal for Part 107 flyers, but for the hobby guy just trying to fly in his backyard, which might be near a school, will have to get insurance for a micro uas.

This is also reporting that if you have your part 107, you do not need the waiver, but that is nowhere in print in the actual city ordinance. So either the person mis-understood, or they have changed it and not published it, that part is not correct as far as I know.

Couldn't agree more!
2017-2-21
Use props
JNadrowski2
New

United States

So I did some investigation. After bouncing around to a couple different departments, I got in contact with Sharon Grimes (sp?) at the Orlando Police Department. She was VERY nice and helpful. She is coordinating the permitting of this.  

In my conversation with her, she explained the following things:
1. They have yet to put a permit in place. It should be soon.
2. This permit refers to public property/lands.
3. THUS, if you take off, monitor and land on private property--assuming you have permission from the land owner--you do NOT need a permit.
4. You do NOT need a permit if you have FAA Part 107 (Drone Pilot Test). You also are NOT required to have general liability insurance. THUS, with this you could take off from a park or public lands.
5. The permit requires you to have general liability insurance and to name the city of Orlando as an insured on your policy.
6. She is going to shortly type something up and post it on the city of Orlando web site.

So, keep an eye out for more clarity on these issues on the Orlando web site. I'm not quite sure where they will post it so I can't give you a link.

I hope this helps! I know it gave me some comfort to talk with someone to confirm how I thought they would enforce the law.

FYI: I posted this 2016-02-21
2017-2-21
Use props
JNadrowski2
New

United States

JNadrowski2 Posted at 2017-2-21 11:02
So I did some investigation. After bouncing around to a couple different departments, I got in contact with Sharon Grimes (sp?) at the Orlando Police Department. She was VERY nice and helpful. She is coordinating the permitting of this.  

In my conversation with her, she explained the following things:

http://www.mynews13.com/content/ ... nce_-_12_7_2016.pdf
2017-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules