1576 22 2017-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

Greetings friends,

I had been thinking of replacing my ipad mini 2 with an ipad mini 4 for my Phantom 4 but now it appears that I will have a little more money to spend from my income tax refund.  So I was thinking of upgrading to an ipad pro 9.7" instead.  That way, not only will the processor be faster but I'll have a larger screen.  Does anyone see any reason not to get an ipad Pro 9.7" or is there any reason to prefer the mini 4?  ANy advice is apprecaited.  Incidentally, which ever one I get, I will be getting the version with built in GPS.  This ipad will be used almost exclusively for flying.

Thanks,

--Jim

Burbank, CA
2017-2-18
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Wait a bit more as Apple is supposedly updating their tablets in late March.  Could be brighter screen, more power, wider aspect ratio screen although it still might fit in holder, etc. ???  Dunno, but I'd wait.
2017-2-18
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft
United States

I use iPad air 2 and only use it on my Phantom 4. I love the larger screen and the extra size doesn't give me any problems.  It will be extra weight on the TX mount but that hasn't been a problem for me
The extra pressing capacity of my Air 2 has stopped any lag issues I have had wit other iPads. (not that this was a problem because the lag was for
only an instant maybe once in every 5-6 flights.)
The better your equipment is the better your experience will be.   
Get the pro and you probably never need to get another device...but like I sais before......iPad Air 2 works fabulous for me
2017-2-18
Use props
Imovetheearth
lvl.3
United States

Jim, I have the IPad Pro and it does just fit in the RC holder with one click to spare. The only issue I am having with it is that I can't seem to cache my videos to the IPad. If anyone knows the answer to that, let me know. You will like the larger screen. I always try and find a shady area to stand in to view the screen when flying.
2017-2-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Imovetheearth Posted at 2017-2-18 11:25
Jim, I have the IPad Pro and it does just fit in the RC holder with one click to spare. The only issue I am having with it is that I can't seem to cache my videos to the IPad. If anyone knows the answer to that, let me know. You will like the larger screen. I always try and find a shady area to stand in to view the screen when flying.

"The only issue I am having with it is that I can't seem to cache my videos to the IPad. If anyone knows the answer to that, let me know."

Make sure Cache is enabled in 'General Settings' menu, and that there is enough memory allocated. If the existing memory allocation has been used up you can either delete files yourself, or enable 'Clear Cache Automatically'.
2017-2-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use the iPad Pro 9.7 without any problems, a good sized screen which is also the brightest of all the ipads.
2017-2-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hi Jim, good day...

Using an iPad Air2 64gb Cellular here. Yes having the GPS module in the device is great.

I started with an iPad Mini2 , and find this larger screen awesome.

RedHotPoker

2017-2-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Imovetheearth Posted at 2017-2-18 11:25

Please try Aardvark's advice and let us know if the issue persists.
2017-2-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

It will be a great upgrade whether you get an A8 or A9 processor. You could always take Post #2's approach, but that's up to you. The iPad Pro's A9 will most likely be a solid device for a while.
2017-2-18
Use props
Imovetheearth
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-18 18:14
Please try Aardvark's advice and let us know if the issue persists.

Thanx DJI Jamie and Aardvark. Will check it again.
2017-2-19
Use props
JayOne
lvl.2
United States

Odan Posted at 2017-2-18 10:46
I use iPad air 2 and only use it on my Phantom 4. I love the larger screen and the extra size doesn't give me any problems.  It will be extra weight on the TX mount but that hasn't been a problem for me
The extra pressing capacity of my Air 2 has stopped any lag issues I have had wit other iPads. (not that this was a problem because the lag was for

i agree i use an air pad 2 and it works great no issue or anything..
2017-2-19
Use props
Micro Pilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 491988 ft
United Kingdom

I have the iPad pro 9.7" and it works great as you'd expect. Prefer the larger screen to the mini. Interesting comment regarding the GPS as its used exclusively for flying? I use mine for navigation when flying my plane but didn't get the GPS model as its still not as accurate as using an third part GPS i use (Dual Skypro)
2017-2-19
Use props
Grrrrrr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1212684 ft
United States

I am using the I pad pro 12.9 and absolutely love it. I had to get a 7 dollar adapter but it was well worth it.
2017-2-19
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Micro Pilot Posted at 2017-2-19 09:59
I have the iPad pro 9.7" and it works great as you'd expect. Prefer the larger screen to the mini. Interesting comment regarding the GPS as its used exclusively for flying? I use mine for navigation when flying my plane but didn't get the GPS model as its still not as accurate as using an third part GPS i use (Dual Skypro)

" still not as accurate as using an third part GPS i use (Dual Skypro)"

You've got me thinking now, a daft question here, but presumably this works without problems (Bluetooth ?) with DJI Go 4 and other mapping Apps etc ?

I wonder if there is a model incorporating Galileo as well, I know the chips are available for GPS/GLONASS/GALILEO ?
2017-2-19
Use props
Micro Pilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 491988 ft
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-2-19 10:30
" still not as accurate as using an third part GPS i use (Dual Skypro)"

You've got me thinking now, a daft question here, but presumably this works without problems (Bluetooth ?) with DJI Go 4 and other mapping Apps etc ?

Yep I've used it with the dual SkyPro with zero issues. SkyPro picks up glonas/gps
2017-2-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Imovetheearth Posted at 2017-2-19 06:38
Thanx DJI Jamie and Aardvark. Will check it again.

Please keep us posted.
2017-2-21
Use props
nicolasileso
lvl.1

Uruguay

Odan Posted at 2017-2-18 10:46

It's  the same for mere. I have an Ipad Air 2 and no issues so far. I love it. I don't think is worth the money difference if you are only going to use it for the Phantom tough.
2017-2-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I wonder what ever happened to Apple thoughts, of the promised iPad Air3 128gb Cellular?

RedHotPoker
2017-2-28
Use props
Imovetheearth
lvl.3
United States

Getting back to everyone on the cacheing of pics and video to the IPad Pro. Well, I found that when I went into the DJI Go app to the camera and looked down at the bottom of the screen, there is an
"editor" icon to click on. Guess what.......there they were...LOL! I kept assuming all pics and videos would go to my Gallery in the pad, not sooooo! It's amazing what you find when you start clicking on various icons.....now back to trying to "hone" my editing.............thanx everyone and I hope this helps someone else who is not an electronic wizard!
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

It's a great idea and smart drone pilot, who will go completely through the app of your choice, to become more comfortable and aware of all the parameters and user friendly choices.
Familiarity, is a good way to save your drone, incase of an app error in flight  or complete disconnection.

Practice flying in ATTI mode as well. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Imovetheearth Posted at 2017-3-16 10:21
Getting back to everyone on the cacheing of pics and video to the IPad Pro. Well, I found that when I went into the DJI Go app to the camera and looked down at the bottom of the screen, there is an
"editor" icon to click on. Guess what.......there they were...LOL! I kept assuming all pics and videos would go to my Gallery in the pad, not sooooo! It's amazing what you find when you start clicking on various icons.....now back to trying to "hone" my editing.............thanx everyone and I hope this helps someone else who is not an electronic wizard!

Great to hear you were able to get that sorted.
2017-3-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I use the iPad Pro it's great,
2017-3-16
Use props
Shark Mo
lvl.1

United States

Grrrrrr Posted at 2017-2-19 10:20
I am using the I pad pro 12.9 and absolutely love it. I had to get a 7 dollar adapter but it was well worth it.

Where can I find such an adapter?
2017-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules