weird camera issues to include jello or ripple effect
4705 36 2017-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PimpDawg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Updated firmware to v01.03.0400 with no issues during update.

Weird camera issues today -

one video seems to have skipped or jittered or something. Another thing is I'm seeing jello effect when letting off acceleration in the top, middle, and bottom of screen at various points and it does it in regular and sport mode. Temperature during this flight was around 65 degrees fahrenheit. Another thing I noticed but didn't include a video clip of is a rotor showing in the upper left corner, just one. I've never seen that happen before. I'm hopeful that a gimbal calibration solves that.

Pretty unhappy with the quality of the video...

Steps I've taken -

1) refreshed firmware
2) reset all camera settings
3) gimbal calibration (successful)

Will test tomorrow and see if any of this helps.

2017-2-19
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Sweden

What are your camera settings ?
2017-2-19
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

Camera settings were on auto
2017-2-19
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

Still getting jello effect. Seems to be there in 4k/30fps but I don't notice it in 1080/60fps. Is this a frame rate issue?
2017-2-19
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, you can try rolling back the firmware and see if the issues are still there
2017-2-19
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-2-19 22:37

I will try that. Thanks.
2017-2-20
Use props
hybrid33
lvl.2
Flight distance : 912224 ft
United States

Not to thread hi-jack, but i have the black frame issue too.  My video won't export anymore due to random black frames in the vids.  Once I clip each black frame out, I can export just fine.  I tried rolling back the firmware, but that was a moot point as the issue is still there.  I've reset factory settings, refreshed, downgraded, reset after downgrade, imu calibration, gimbal calibration, all that good stuff.  My p3 works fantastic still to this day with zero issue.  I've even tried 4k at 30 and 24... tried 1080p at multiple different frame rates... I'm wondering if I should send this brand new mavic back in for an exchange.  

2017-2-20
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

hybrid33 Posted at 2017-2-20 13:15
Not to thread hi-jack, but i have the black frame issue too.  My video won't export anymore due to random black frames in the vids.  Once I clip each black frame out, I can export just fine.  I tried rolling back the firmware, but that was a moot point as the issue is still there.  I've reset factory settings, refreshed, downgraded, reset after downgrade, imu calibration, gimbal calibration, all that good stuff.  My p3 works fantastic still to this day with zero issue.  I've even tried 4k at 30 and 24... tried 1080p at multiple different frame rates... I'm wondering if I should send this brand new mavic back in for an exchange.

You mean random black frame inserted into a video?

That sounds like a hardware issue that you should send in the drone to solve
2017-2-20
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-2-19 22:37

My Mavic was on v01.03.0300 but since that is not publicly available I'll have to go back to v01.03.0200. I presume I'll need to backrev the firmware on my controller and batteries as well?
2017-2-20
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-2-20 19:02
My Mavic was on v01.03.0300 but since that is not publicly available I'll have to go back to v01.03.0200. I presume I'll need to backrev the firmware on my controller and batteries as well?

Yes, you do.
2017-2-20
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

I reviewed some of my raw video before the firmware upgrade when it was still on v01.03.0300 and the jello effect is there so I'm not going to bother with backing off to earlier firmware, as it won't help. Is this considered normal or a defect? I hate to have to just live with it after dropping $1000. Is that what I'm faced with?
2017-2-20
Use props
K4Unl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122175 ft
Netherlands

I have noticed the jello effect too when letting go of the accelerator.
What i imagine is that the camera has some speed still while the drone tries to slow down drastically.
This causes it to move upwards and hit the body of the drone, causing the footage to have a slight "bump" in it.

Honestly i think it has to do with the design of the gimbal, as this camera "hangs" with some rubber bands from the body, while the phantom range has the camera mounted on rubber dampers.

I did notice that if you make sure the drone slows down less adrubt (which you can modify in the DJI Go settings. I'd have to look where you can find it) it's no longer there.
Either that or put little rubber feet under the gimbal. One of the two should help solve this.

I also understand that this probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but i doubt DJI is going to change this for the Mavic.. Maybe something for the Mavic 2?
2017-2-20
Use props
Luchian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6706 ft
Romania

Same here, it's completely new, first time use (flight). As you see in video bellow when i move drone's direction gimbal has "jello effect".

I've checked gimbal, i removed all the stickers, calibrated ALL: IMU, CAM, RC STICKS, VPS and COMPASS, refreshed latest firmware and the problem still persists as you see in video.

2017-2-21
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

K4Unl Posted at 2017-2-20 23:44
I have noticed the jello effect too when letting go of the accelerator.
What i imagine is that the camera has some speed still while the drone tries to slow down drastically.
This causes it to move upwards and hit the body of the drone, causing the footage to have a slight "bump" in it.

You could be right. I've noticed it happens in regular mode (not sport) as well so it's not as if I'm flying it too fast.
2017-2-21
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Luchian Posted at 2017-2-21 02:20
Same here, it's completely new, first time use (flight). As you see in video bellow when i move drone's direction gimbal has "jello effect".

I've checked gimbal, i removed all the stickers, calibrated ALL: IMU, CAM, RC STICKS, VPS and COMPASS, refreshed latest firmware and the problem still persists as you see in video.

How cold is it where you are flying?
2017-2-21
Use props
Luchian
lvl.3
Romania

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-21 08:50
How cold is it where you are flying?

Temperature was ~6-7 degrees Celsius and drone temp ~30C
2017-2-21
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Luchian Posted at 2017-2-21 10:14
Temperature was ~6-7 degrees Celsius and drone temp ~30C

The firmware update just prior to the current one was said to address gimbal performance in cold weather, I'm guessing the colder it is the harder it is to stabilize the camera.

Might be worth contacting support directly and let them take a look at your video.
2017-2-21
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

Mine is happening in 65F degree weather so while cold weather might be a contributory factor for some, it is not in mine and probably other cases. So unfortunately I can't blame cold weather for the jello effect in my videos.

I'm still waiting for a DJI rep on here to chime in with some guidance.
2017-2-21
Use props
Luchian
lvl.3
Romania

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-2-21 10:42
Mine is happening in 65F degree weather so while cold weather might be a contributory factor for some, it is not in mine and probably other cases. So unfortunately I can't blame cold weather for the jello effect in my videos.

I'm still waiting for a DJI rep on here to chime in with some guidance.

I have friends who doesn't have any problems at -10 degrees Celcius, so if you have problems it's not from cold weather, you should send for repair/refund.

This is my second drone, first one  has "jellow effect" all the time, check video bellow, i send it back and refund, this one has jello only when i move the drone.

But now i think i'll send for repair because on new one is like on lotery

2017-2-21
Use props
guess_fr
lvl.1
France

hello, i've a similar problem but less visible into this video :
2017-2-21
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

Any DJI folks care to offer some guidance to those of us with this jello effect? Thanks.
2017-2-21
Use props
SummitXRon
New

United States

guess_fr Posted at 2017-2-21 14:16
hello, i've a similar problem but less visible into this video :https://youtu.be/bv-_tu_nosI

I've noticed it in my video's too. Also having a focus issue.
2017-2-21
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

DJI reps, can you please chime on the issues we're experiencing and offer some guidance on how best to proceed? Thanks.
2017-2-22
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

2017-2-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Would you please upload the original footage to dropbox and post a link here?
Please do not make any edit at all, I'll transfer the video to our engineers for further evaluation.
Sorry for the trouble caused.
2017-2-23
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

Here is the link -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqpihb828hzq5xc/DJI_0005.MOV?dl=0

this is just one video file (unedited) which shows weird skip around 10 second mark. Jello effect is around 1:12 mark when letting off acceleration.

I have more videos but they are quite large. If you'd like more let me know.

Thanks.
2017-2-23
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

I don't have jello, that's the gimbal maxing out one way or another or freezing up from what I've seen. But by default the mavic bucks like a horse on stop. Fly it ground level and let off the stick. You can adjust that.
2017-2-23
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

What I see in those videos is NOT jello effect.  They all have a similar problem, but it isn't jello.  Jello is a visual effect caused by poor choice of shutter speed.  Your video is jerking, like a mechanical or gimbal software problem.  Hopefully, DJI will figure this out.  I'm surprised to see this sort of problem show up with several people.
2017-2-23
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-2-23 01:39
Would you please upload the original footage to dropbox and post a link here?
Please do not make any edit at all, I'll transfer the video to our engineers for further evaluation.
Sorry for the trouble caused.

Dropbox link posted above. Please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks.
2017-2-24
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

Here is another video recorded today showing lots of ripple effect in my video. This is straight from the Mavic unedited -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drjqa414hwltp61/DJI_0009.MOV?dl=0
2017-2-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-2-24 10:37
Dropbox link posted above. Please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks.

Thank you, I've transferred both videos to our engineers, will get back  to you for any news.
2017-2-25
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

2017-2-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

We analyzed your video, ripple effect would  probably happen when the Mavic is braking. Please slow down when braking, do not pull down the sticks suddenly to brake the aircraft.
2017-3-1
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-1 18:00
We analyzed your video, ripple effect would  probably happen when the Mavic is braking. Please slow down when braking, do not pull down the sticks suddenly to brake the aircraft.

It happens when accelerating and braking. I changed braking setting from default value of 130 all the way down to 80 and ripple is still present in video. I don't think the ripple is caused by the manner in which I am flying, as it is happening with very slow movement and did not happen in my first Mavic, just in this replacement unit.

The Mavic glides a long way to a stop and ripple is still there. If I fly much slower, as you recommend, the Mavic will not move....this is NOT the solution and I am not pleased at this suggestion to cure an obvious defect.

First DJI told me to downgrade firmware to fix it. Now it's "fly slower"....REALLY? You can't be serious.

I am not pulling down on sticks to brake. I'm merely letting off the stick.
2017-3-1
Use props
No1much
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143878 ft
United States

Never has this ripple effect happened to the Mavic I got back after I RMA'd my old one for "jello" effect. And I have flown it in 30 degree Fahrenheit, into 15 mph wind and snow, in Sport mode, without seeing more than slight jello effect one time out of 10.

If the ripple effect is normal, then it sounds like my Mavic is abnormally good. ;)
Whatever the cause of ripple effet in others' Mavics, I hope it is resolvable, because the video is so much cooler to watch when it's so eerily steady flying at 40 mph.
2017-3-2
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

No1much Posted at 2017-3-2 10:32
Never has this ripple effect happened to the Mavic I got back after I RMA'd my old one for "jello" effect. And I have flown it in 30 degree Fahrenheit, into 15 mph wind and snow, in Sport mode, without seeing more than slight jello effect one time out of 10.

If the ripple effect is normal, then it sounds like my Mavic is abnormally good. ;)

Thanks. Glad yours is sorted out.

It frustrates me that this is passed off as normal considering what DJI touts on their website -

"We have created a miniaturized, ultra-precise 3-axis gimbal for the Mavic, capable of stabilizing the camera even during high-speed motion for smooth video and sharp photos."

In my opinion, the gimbal design is simply too weak to handle the performance of the Mavic. I believe that when they miniaturized the gimbal they miniaturized it's robustness.
MavicCamera.jpg
2017-3-2
Use props
墨老爷子
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

when the mavic is braking, ripple effect would  probably happen.
2017-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules