Slave Remote Doesn't Work - USB Port? Firmware?
1499 11 2017-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alex37
New

United Kingdom

Hi All,

I haven't updated my Inspire since I purchased it in OCT '15. Yesterday I went through the process of updating the firmware on the AC, batteries and Master controller to the latest version which went fairly smoothly.

I have not had such luck with the Slave. It hasn't been used since the summer but it operated fine.
- When I turn it on I have a constant red light.
- When I plug in my phone (an iphone 6) it does not buzz.
- When I look on the ap it just says "disconnected".
- I do not have access to the kind of options that would allow me to update it/change between slave and master.
- When I hold down the scholar icon on the top right it just says "Product:Unknown, Current Version: Unknown, Device Disconnected, Select firmware version: None.
- When I try various old versions of the firmware (on the base assumption that POSSIBLY the remote firmware is very old) and put them on a USB stick and plug that into the controller, still nothing. Just a constant red light.

It seems to me that the USB port is unresponsive but I am wondering if this is related to the fact that the remote was in slave mode and now the up-to-date ap can't communicate? Yet perhaps that wouldnt explain the inability for the firmware to update via USB (although I have no clue what I am doing to be honest)

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a clear version history of the RC firmware for me to work through methodically?

Thanks,

Alex
2017-2-19
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Ok, they way I see it , you are either on very old firmware on your system ( the slave for sure is not updated or not found by the master   ) or the USB Port or cable is bad on the slave, or multiple problems not sure yeet.  
Ok, first thing I would replace is the cable from the RC  to the Go app.  This may be the problem  of communication between the RC and Go app .
(You may have a damaged module on the back of the RC but lets look at some other options for now.)

Why are you updating the slave with the USB thumb drive , this can be done on earlier FW but nothing past 1.6.  The proper way is through the GO App

What version of go app is on the slave ?

How did you update the Master RC and to what version did you update it to? W here did you gt the files to try and update, they are NOT on the DJI page and are special files. I have some but will get to that later.

The problem I see is you are not on the proper version on the RC slave  transmitter , this may be causing All the problems or just part of them .

What version is currently loaded on the Master RC and the aircraft ? check this on the "about " page of go app and make sure the AC and RC are ON  and the Go app is connected to the RC transmitter .

Once we know this we can figure out how to update the Transmitter .
So need somemore information to help figure this out

donnie   

2017-2-19
Use props
Alex37
New

United Kingdom

Hi Donnie,

Thanks for your detailed reply.
- I tried several cables - no change, furthermore other cables work with my master remote, it is just the slave that is the issue.
- I am attempting to update with the thumb drive because I see no other method since the Go Ap does not connect to the controller.
- I updated the AC and batteries via the files on the DJI website. The Master RC I updated via the ap.
- The Slave was bought separate to the Master and may have been on a different FW version but I have no way to determine what version is installed.
- Master is on 1.7.60, AC is 1.10.01.40, Go App is 3.1.5

I see you've been helpful for others in the past so appreciate your help here!
Thanks
Alex
2017-2-19
Use props
Alex37
New

United Kingdom

Whatever firmware exists on the slave controller will be someting from before October 23rd 2015.
2017-2-19
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

Alex37 Posted at 2017-2-19 07:51
Whatever firmware exists on the slave controller will be someting from before October 23rd 2015.

You would be on 1.3 on the RC at that point in time  and you would have been on 1.4 or 1.5 on the aircraft

So you may have a damaged USB part 54 on the  back of the RC ( bout 100 US dollars ) or the 1.3 may not communicate at all with the latest  go app.

so here is the Plan , Take the Thmb drive that you have and format it , then I want you to load this file on tho the RC and see if you can update the RC. If it does great , then we can update via the Go app to the latest one .  This should work .  If the HDMI on the back the RC is bad it will not and will have to be replaced , fairly simple .

So here is the file to try , it is the 1.6 file in the link , the 1.7 wontwork , so follow my directions and then load the 1.6 file
http://forum.dji.com/thread-47572-1-1.html

If the 1.6 file does not work then try this one here , it would be the next one inorder after 1.3
The Slave RC  did work before this latest update correct ?  Just want to make sure it worked at one time becasue it could be on much older FW if not .  

What file were you trying to use on the thumb drive on the slave RC transmitter ?  only certain ones will work , you did not try one of mine already did you ?  you were trying the ones on the DJI website correct ?  ( these wont work , or only 1.3 would .....Maybe )

http://download.dji-innovations. ... _FW_V01.04.0030.bin

I am just trying to get you as close to 1.7 as possible , once we get one of them loaded ( either one ) then we should be able to use the go app to get to 1.7

If this does not work then I feel you may have a defective part 54 on the back of the RC as I expalined earlier , but give this a shot and we will go from there

donnie

2017-2-19
Use props
Alex37
New

United Kingdom

Thanks Donnie,

So I tried that file and I still seem to have no change...just a solid red light when I turn the controller on. Memory stick is formatted to FAT32 and inserted into the USB port with only that file on it.

The only beeps I am getting now are those that tell me the remote has been on too long...still a solid red light.

You mention the HDMI port - how is this a factor?

Thanks,

Alex
2017-2-19
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

Alex37 Posted at 2017-2-19 08:07
Thanks Donnie,

So I tried that file and I still seem to have no change...just a solid red light when I turn the controller on. Memory stick is formatted to FAT32 and inserted into the USB port with only that file on it.

Try the other file 1.4 bin file . I hope you are using a PC to load the files MAC sometimes will not format the SD card properly . If you can get a PC  please try it that way  and format the thumb drive that way as well.

It will usually start beeping in 30 seconds .  The HDMI module is just the name for the Part on the back of the RC Part 54.  
2017-2-19
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

Thanks Donnie,

To me it really looks like a bad module on the back of the RC fairy easy fix....they just fail sometimes ..hapenned to me once and I have fixed two others that were sent tom me .

This RC slave did work at one time for you correct ? The reason I ask is it could be on version 1.2 and then woul need to go to 1.3.  If it worked in the past for you than that would not be the case because you would not have been able to update your other RC via go app.  If they worked in the past then you must have been on 1.3 T LEAST on  the RC transmitter .
Below is a sample of the part that may be bad.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ ... eywords=part+54+dji

2017-2-19
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-19 08:10
Try the other file 1.4 bin file . I hope you are using a PC to load the files MAC sometimes will not format the SD card properly . If you can get a PC  please try it that way  and format the thumb drive that way as well.

It will usually start beeping in 30 seconds .  The HDMI module is just the name for the Part on the back of the RC Part 54.

If you are up to it  and have some mechanical skills, you can simply remove the white housing on the back of the working Module and swap it for the bad one , then see if the go app works .   Normally what fails is the Outer first layer of the HDMI module , you don't  always need to replace the whole thing . I have done this on two occasions with success.  

Just an Idea if you want to test the module .  If not the module is 100 US dollars.  I have not heard heard of  the latest HDMI not working with 1.3 but on Monday I could ask my buddy at DJI and we can make sure of this.  It should at least give you some data and not the disconnect, that is usually a bad cable or HDMI module like I said.

donnie   
2017-2-19
Use props
Alex37
New

United Kingdom

The Slave did work previously. I have never updated the firmware in the past, it did what I needed out of the box in Oct 15 and I never felt a need to upgrade.

I did try a number of your files from a previous thread where someone seemed to be having similar problems. Nothing that I have connected to the USB socket has ever produced a response from the controller of any kind. Just tried 1.4 as well, no change. Just my USB getting hot, which I guess means power is going to it at least!

I suspect you are right and the HDMI module needs replacing then. Slightly unfortunate given that I have my dual operator drone certification tomorrow! I probably should have flown it recently with someone using the slave control to confirm whether this could be linked to firmware or not.

Ah dear

Much appreciate your help all the same, shame that not every outcome can be a perfect forum based resolution!

Thanks,

Alex
2017-2-19
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

Thanks Donnie,

I have to leave for a while But I promise to check back later , seeing that you are in the UK may have to get back with me tomorrow.

Just make sure to answer my questions.

The slave worked with our system in the Past correct ?  that assures me then you are on at least 1.3 on the RC.  If not I may have to give you file 1.3 as you could be on 1.2 on the RC.

Only do the Cover swap if you are comfortable , I don't want you to have two bricked RC's .  

If the slave RC worked in the Past with your system& you tried others cables to the USB port on the RC to the GO app then I am almost 100% certain the HDMI module has failed .

Last thing, I repeat myself a lot, all apologies , just want to make sure I make my point .( head injury a while back did not help either  )

Just saw your response , I am certain it is the module , good luck

donnie
2017-2-19
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Alex37 Posted at 2017-2-19 08:27
The Slave did work previously. I have never updated the firmware in the past, it did what I needed out of the box in Oct 15 and I never felt a need to upgrade.

I did try a number of your files from a previous thread where someone seemed to be having similar problems. Nothing that I have connected to the USB socket has ever produced a response from the controller of any kind. Just tried 1.4 as well, no change. Just my USB getting hot, which I guess means power is going to it at least!

Alex
sorry you are having trouble. I decided to get my slave remote out and look at this again since you were having trouble. My slave remote was on FW 1.6 and my Master was on 1.760 ... so they do not talk to one another.  I first connected the remote to the Go App version 3.11 (on my iPad mini 2 only for the slave) and turned off the slave mode.  Now I get the red led just like you but the difference is it will connect to the DJI Go app. I just finished the install and set things up again.

Please try a manual resetting your remote and see if you can connect to the Go App

Try to reset the remote controller.
* Turn on the controller, and the aircraft should be off.
* Press C1, C2, and shutter on the controller then turn the controller off.
* Turn on and try it again

Rich

IMG_8379.JPG IMG_8380.JPG
2017-2-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules