Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Suddenly having connection issues
1228 6 2017-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.4
Flight distance : 99117 ft
United States

Not sure what's going on with sudden connection issues but thought I would ask here what to look for and monitor for the issue. Never really had connection or video streaming problems until recently, and as close as only 63 ft away at 30 ft altitude!
P4P running an Nvidia shield K1 tablet. The only thing that has changed is I updated the tablet to the new 7.0 Nougat.

I have flown out in wide open field to 4,000 feet distance at 200 ft alt and descended very close to high power large power lines at that distance with no issues. 2 days ago I flew over open field to look for deer at 100 ft alt and about 3500 ft distance and started to get broken up video signal as I was recording in 4K. So I turend back and started losing video feed on the way back. I flew it back LOS until video feed resumed so I flew more over towards a highway to watch some cars pass and look at a ditch. I was much closer, maybe only 650 ft distance and lost connection to aircraft. No powerlines or radio towers around and I was out in the country with no houses around. The app stopped working and I restarted the app (scary) Then the connection came back and I was able to fly it back to the home point. Also my flight log in the front of the DJI GO4 app did not record the flight. I don't understand why the log isn't there but that's beside the point sort of.
So yesterday I took it to the lake that is in the country, no houses nearby, no power lines, no nearby radio towers and flew out over the lake to about 3800 ft 80 ft altitude and started to get a little bit of laggy video so I stopped and turned around. Flew back and was fairly close down low going along the canal with a small tree between us and started to get laggy video. So I came back out and over the land where I was standing and it all cleared up. Then I decided to go back over the open lake, no trees in LOS and lost connection to the aircraft at a distance of only 63 ft and an altitude of 30 ft. It asked if I wanted to RTH because connection was lost? I thought it returned anyway after 3 seconds? Connection was established again so I flew it out over open water again at 20 ft alt to about 900 ft distance and all was fine the rest of the flight.

Anyway I'm not sure what to look for to diagnose the sudden lack of distance and connection issues. I had the radio set on 2.4 Ghz and channel automatic and wifi off on the tablet. Was using windsurfers pointed at the AC.
What should I look for and monitor during flight to diagnose this?

2017-2-19
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

By process of elimination. take out your range extendor out and try it again. Then see if you can downgrade your tablet to previous firmware and try
2017-2-19
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Or you can try Litchi.
2017-2-19
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.4
United States

I think I'm on to something. 1st off when I updated to Nougat 7.0 I noticed the option to select file transfer for the USB was no longer in the menu and last night I took the bird outside to just lift off. For several tries when I powered up the remote the tablet dinged and the "charging" indicator came on and the DJI GO4 app would not start automatically like before. The tablet was not going into USB file transfer mode and was just acting like the RC was a charger.
So I take it to the lake again today, switch it to 5.8Ghz and everything was going fine. Oddly when I got to the lake and powered on the RC the DJI GO4 app  opened automatically like it should and the tablet wasn't in charge  mode. I didn't make any changes to anything for it to suddenly do this  again since the night before the tablet would go into charge mode. Got out to about 1800 ft dist 80 ft alt over water and came back. When I got back close to the home point is when it started to get choppy video feed and then it lost connection again with the aircraft. I was able to control the bird LOS but the app had disconnected from the aircraft. It happens when you get back close to home point. And when it happens the DJI GO4 app crashes. A screen prompt comes up asking if I want to close the app or wait. I closed the app and restarted the app and everything was fine again.
I think the DJI GO4 app is crashing is what the problem is. Not sure if it's because of the Nougat update or if the USB is buggy because of the Nougat update but it never done any of this until I updated to Nougat 7.0.
I just found out how to get the tablet into developer mode so I can set the USB to data transfer so I will try that tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. But I have a feeling the Nougat update isn't cooperating with DJI GO4.
2017-2-19
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.4
United States

I would love to try Litchi but not until my DJI refresh year is up. I hear 3rd party apps void any claims/warranty?
2017-2-19
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

E.T._Drone_Home Posted at 2017-2-19 19:32
I would love to try Litchi but not until my DJI refresh year is up. I hear 3rd party apps void any claims/warranty?

Not true. DJI has already confirmed that.
2017-2-19
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.4
United States

For anyone else who has this problem the problem is Nougat 7.0. Se this post for the fix: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=85675&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D386%26typeid%3D386
2017-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules