Mission Crosses No-Fly Zone? (RESOLVED)
1429 4 2017-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

UPDATE: Turns out this behavior is to be expected, read the thread for details.

Today I was flying in an unlocked area and tried to run a POI mission but was prevented from doing so -- received a "Mission Crosses No-Fly Zone" error message.

My radius was pretty close to the minimum required for a POI, so I'm sure I was not actually about to cross into a NFZ. The area is in a green zone but is near the DC FRZ, which is why flying required unlocking. I'm guessing this is a bug where the code that manages POI is not code-aware of the unlocked status of the overall mission?

Has anyone else run into this?
Running latest firmware and DJI GO 4 app on iOS

2017-2-19
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I thought inyour previous post/response you mentioned that you got clearance from DJI??? Maybe poi NOT included or you need separate unlock?? I would check with DJI...
2017-2-19
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-19 19:55
I thought inyour previous post/response you mentioned that you got clearance from DJI??? Maybe poi NOT included or you need separate unlock?? I would check with DJI...

Yup, I have a working unlock for that area -- I think the code that handles functionality unlocking skipped over POI mode. I really should have tested Active Track to see if more than one Intelligent Flight Mode is affected.
2017-2-19
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-19 20:41
Yup, I have a working unlock for that area -- I think the code that handles functionality unlocking skipped over POI mode. I really should have tested Active Track to see if more than one Intelligent Flight Mode is affected.

Hey good luck and let us know
2017-2-19
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Heard back from tech support:

Sorry to tell that Intelligent Navigation Modes including Point of Interest, Follow Me and Waypoint will not function in no-fly zones.
We understand this will cause much inconvenience and this request has been reported to our R&D department for review.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused and your understanding is highly appreciated.

So this behavior is to be expected and may be addressed in the future. Waypoint navigation not working is mentioned on the individual unlocking request page, and after rereading the copy it's clear to me now that POI wouldn't be expected to work in unlocked areas. Here's the copy:

The custom unlock mechanism may disable certain features like waypoint navigation. Please plan to fly your equipment manually.

So, FYI.

2017-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules