7633 17 2017-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zeldon50
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11634 ft
United States

Hi All-
Title says it all... All my shots taken last Saturday had crooked horizons (fixed in post). Does this indicate a gimbal calibration is necessary? First time this has happened. Also received high wind warnings...could wind effect the levelness of the horizon? I'm thinking not, because I shot 5 bracketed exposures each time (AEB) and Lightroom had no problem merging them into an HDR image.
Would like any and all input. Thanks!
zeldon50
2017-2-20
Use props
mpaka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19252874 ft
Serbia

Its a model issue. A lot of people are having horizon issue problem. Try calibrating the gimbal, but in my experience it will not help.
2017-2-20
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I have the same issue - the gimbal is almost always off. Fixes itself after standing still in the air for a minute, but hey - this isn't what I bought my drone for. OSMO has similar problems. Calibration does normally not help.
2017-2-20
Use props
Damacone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 358622 ft
United Kingdom

I had this problem - performed an IMU calibration and then a gimbal calibration and it seems to have fixed it...   though it could be coincidence.
2017-2-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It's a bit of a dji thing the dreaded tilted horizon, sometimes firmware seems to fix this, I find a proper gimbal calibration particularly if you heading out for an important shoot. You can offset the gimbal in the app if this persists.

Good luck..
2017-2-20
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have the P4P and P4P + and never had issue with tilted horzion... Just saying... When I got the both unit and the MP I did COLD IMU on a 100% flat surface, Auto Gimbal Calib and that was it.
2017-2-20
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Both my P4 and P4P have this issue. I now keep Gridlines on and the 'Adjust Gimball Roll' window on-screen at all times. This allows me to note when the horizon slips off kilter, and to adjust it on the fly.

I noted in a video in another post that the op resolved it by simply stopping and doing a 360 pan - the horizon was magically corrected during the spin. I haven't remembered to try this myself, but perhaps next time...
2017-2-20
Use props
Zeldon50
lvl.2
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-20 13:39
Both my P4 and P4P have this issue. I now keep Gridlines on and the 'Adjust Gimball Roll' window on-screen at all times. This allows me to note when the horizon slips off kilter, and to adjust it on the fly.

I noted in a video in another post that the op resolved it by simply stopping and doing a 360 pan - the horizon was magically corrected during the spin. I haven't remembered to try this myself, but perhaps next time...

Thanks for that...where do I find the adjust gimball roll feature?
zeldon50
2017-2-21
Use props
fansdd872b29
lvl.1

United States

DJI doesn't seem to have made a proper horizon level a real priority. This has been going on for a loooong time.

For something as simple has the constant wind warnings (even in no wind) they have yet to fix it.

Don't expect DJI to adequately address ensuring that the horizon is level much more frequently. It might be a hardware and design limitation of their gimbals and they aren't willing to put money or time into redesigning a gimbal which can consistently maintain a level horizon.

Telling their online support is completely useless. They pretend they have never heard of this issue even though it has been going on for years. They pretend that the constant wind warnings are news to them as well, even though it is a glaringly obvious bug to anyone and has been spoken about as nauseum for a couple months now.

The usual "IMU and gimbal calibration" canned answer is all they have to tell you.

High end gimbals actually have level sensors in the gimbals themselves to ensure a level horizon. DJI doesn't want to go there- probably for cost reasons.
2017-2-21
Use props
Zeldon50
lvl.2
United States

Thanks-
Someone in another post said there was a feature in the app to level the gimbal in flight… Does anyone know what this feature is and where it can be found? Thanks!
zeldon50
2017-2-21
Use props
Helimage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144140 ft
Finland

Zeldon50 Posted at 2017-2-21 07:03
Thanks-
Someone in another post said there was a feature in the app to level the gimbal in flight… Does anyone know what this feature is and where it can be found? Thanks!
zeldon50

You can just hold the C2 button while adjusting the gimbal roll with the right wheel. If your horizon drifts like mine does, you'll find yourself fixing it all the time.
2017-2-21
Use props
L N
lvl.1

Estonia

dronist Posted at 2017-2-20 12:42
I have the P4P and P4P + and never had issue with tilted horzion... Just saying... When I got the both unit and the MP I did COLD IMU on a 100% flat surface, Auto Gimbal Calib and that was it.

Please can you do video where you fly in p mode left and right full speed, I really don't believe that your horisont stays level. I have changed 5 P4P's and they all have the same problem + other problems.
2017-2-21
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

L N Posted at 2017-2-21 07:49
Please can you do video where you fly in p mode left and right full speed, I really don't believe that your horisont stays level. I have changed 5 P4P's and they all have the same problem + other problems.

I will try and let you know.
2017-2-21
Use props
DJI-Crooked
lvl.1

United States

Yep- it will not stay level, even if you adjust it. As stated, it is most likely a hardware issue. DJI won't acknowledge it. I have gone through 4 DJI P4Pros and they all have it as well.

The horizon staying level has been debatably at the top of complaints for the Phantom series for years. DJI hasn't fixed it.

When the P4 came out, people initially thought that the 2 arms on the camera indicated that DJI addressed this problem. In actuality, the P4 series has more of a crooked horizon issue than the preceding P3 series craft according to most reports.

It is extremely disappointing that with all its rapid innovation in other areas that DJI can't commit to fixing this main complaint.

Maybe this thread can get a few thousand reads and more and more people will complain and someone from DJI will chime in here with more than the canned "IMU and gimbal calibration" or the "send in your aircraft" and acknowledge the issue.

But that likely won't happen.
2017-2-21
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Zeldon50 Posted at 2017-2-21 03:43
Thanks for that...where do I find the adjust gimball roll feature?
zeldon50

Settings (the 3 dots in top right corner) / Gimbal Settings / Adjust Gimbal Roll

This opens a small window which stays on the screen - one button rols the gimbal right, the other rolls it left. Then you adjust the horizon to align with the gridlines. I find this easier to do that the C2 Wheel combination (assuming you haven't changed the default), but each to their own.
2017-2-21
Use props
mpaka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19252874 ft
Serbia

DJI-Crooked Posted at 2017-2-21 09:08
Yep- it will not stay level, even if you adjust it. As stated, it is most likely a hardware issue. DJI won't acknowledge it. I have gone through 4 DJI P4Pros and they all have it as well.

The horizon staying level has been debatably at the top of complaints for the Phantom series for years. DJI hasn't fixed it.

Couldn't agree more. I returned P4P and took back my P3P because of the horizon issue. Footage was unusable.  In my opinion P3P has superior gimbal solution when compared with P4P and probably P4.
2017-2-22
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I ll try mine and let you know what it does in pmode full speed left and right.

2017-2-22
Use props
DJI-Crooked
lvl.1

United States

Hello DJI employees (Natalia, Jamie, etc)!
This is DJI-crooked.
I was wondering if you would be so kind to enlighten those who have paid thousands of dollars for your drones if you ever plan on making a Phantom which does not have the crooked horizon problem?
Oh Great Ones, please enlighten us flocks if you shall bless us with a straight horizon. In the name of Vishnu, Krishna, and Babbaghanoush; in honor of falafel, please let us know.
Namaste,
Your humble servant,
DJI-Crooked (shoe for crooked-horizon)
2017-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules