Gimbal start up errors, loud fan idle noise, and downlink issues.
862 11 2017-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dnorm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481778 ft
United States

Hi Folks,

I just submitted a support ticket on this as well (case: 435972) but watned to see if there was any insight able to be quickly gained from the forum as well.

I am having serious downlink issues, like only get fluid video for 2-5 seconds then full green screen or just frozen image for a second and this pattern repeats.  This has happened on both auto downlink settings or manual, and has been experienced in multiple physical locations and when using both 2.4 and 5.8 freqs for the downlink.

I am 90% certain this is not evnrionmental as these flights have been in rural areas AND my mavic downlink is ROCK stable in the same locations - using the same device for the downlink as well - Ipad Mini 2.

in additon to this, 80% of the time i boot up the p4pro I receive a gimbal error in the app - restarting the p4pro then fixes this.  Also, the gimbal seems to be make some funky grinding sounds...

finally, upon boot up, the p4pro has a loud fan sound - certainly louder than the p4 and louder than the mavic for sure.

have DJI Care Refresh and thinking it just needs to be sent in for repair/replacement.

dave
2017-2-20
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Frist, try using a different device, Cable. Not worked, do a factory reset and start as you have just receied your unit, COLD IMU Calib, GIMBAL Calib and then update process. I use IPHONE6S+ or MINI4 and had NO PROBLEM... Let us know...
2017-2-20
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Cant comment on the gimbal noise, but I can also confirm the drop-outs with P4P (in areas which should have perfect transmission). I also have a loud fan, which is much louder than my P4 (which is very quiet in comparison), but I suspect that's simply due to a larger capacity fan due to more internal heat generated by the additional sensors.
2017-2-20
Use props
dnorm
lvl.3
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-20 12:55
Frist, try using a different device, Cable. Not worked, do a factory reset and start as you have just receied your unit, COLD IMU Calib, GIMBAL Calib and then update process. I use IPHONE6S+ or MINI4 and had NO PROBLEM... Let us know...

why would my ipad mini 2 work perfectly with the mavic and not with the p4pro, have tried two different apple lightning cables, have also tried an anker powerline cable (mfi certified).  All result in the same issue?

even if my iphone 7plus worked, i would not want to fly with it, the p4pro needs a tablet sized screen, not phone IMO.

may try factory restart and rebuild firmware once back with high speed internet - i'll see what DJI says, this could also be a transmitter issue i suppose?

dave
2017-2-20
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

dnorm Posted at 2017-2-20 18:08
why would my ipad mini 2 work perfectly with the mavic and not with the p4pro, have tried two different apple lightning cables, have also tried an anker powerline cable (mfi certified).  All result in the same issue?

even if my iphone 7plus worked, i would not want to fly with it, the p4pro needs a tablet sized screen, not phone IMO.

Dave, my personal view is that it's a controller issue. I haven't tried to refresh the firmware while the unit is cool myself, but I think that's an easy first thing for both of us to try...
2017-2-20
Use props
dnorm
lvl.3
United States

im with ya punchbugy, it's to the point where i don't even really enjoy the flying experience of the p4pro currently...BUT it's the preferred imaging platform over the mavic for when i want the highest quality  footage.  the 1" sensor and higher quality 264 encoding on the p4pro in addition to 4k@60fps is really a significant step up over quality from the mavic.  but the mavic is an absolute dream to fly, can travel additionally in almost any backpack and is way quieter...damn - i digress....sorry.

anyway the downlink on the p4pro right now is just horrendously flaky and has become an utterly frustrating experience...will try a factory rest and cold rebuild to the latest firmware...though i likely wont get to fly for a bit now due to work schedules.

will report back - but may be a week + - if you are able to do this sooner, i'd be eager to learn about your experience.  I'll also keep this thread posted as to what i hear back from DJI.

thanks!

dave
2017-2-20
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dnorm Posted at 2017-2-20 18:08

"why would my ipad mini 2 work perfectly with the mavic and not with the p4pro"

No idea... Personally I use my phone with MAIVC AND P4P because it is brighter than the MINI2 and if I have to use a tablet I use MINI4 because it has more power and little bit brighter. Just saying what works with for me.

I will always use the process of elimination. If doesn't work, I won't bang my head against it. It suppose to work WON'T HELP solve the issues and help you fly.

Otherwise if you still under warranty return the bird.
2017-2-20
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-2-20 19:47
"why would my ipad mini 2 work perfectly with the mavic and not with the p4pro"

No idea... Personally I use my phone with MAIVC AND P4P because it is brighter than the MINI2 and if I have to use a tablet I use MINI4 because it has more power and little bit brighter. Just saying what works with for me.

Hey dronist. The comment re the Mini2 needs to be turned on it's head - yeah, a process of elimination. If the iPad works OK with the Mavic, but not with the P4P, then it's reasonable to assume the problem isn't with the iPad. My conclusion is that it's the controller (which isn't in common between the two craft) and that makes sense as transmission is performed by it - hence my suggestion to refresh the controller FW. Or, sure, return it... ;-)

I've experienced a similar issue with mine, so it's not an isolated problem.
2017-2-20
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-20 20:04
Hey dronist. The comment re the Mini2 needs to be turned on it's head - yeah, a process of elimination. If the iPad works OK with the Mavic, but not with the P4P, then it's reasonable to assume the problem isn't with the iPad. My conclusion is that it's the controller (which isn't in common between the two craft) and that makes sense as transmission is performed by it - hence my suggestion to refresh the controller FW. Or, sure, return it... ;-)

I've experienced a similar issue with mine, so it's not an isolated problem.

Hey Punch,

I am with you but we can't compare apple and orange MP is NOT P4P so logic still stand that he needs to try another tablet and if it worked with a phone then it is NOT the controller.

I remember early last year when we had the issue with the down link feed turning green and fuzzy with the P4 it was later fixed with a FIRMWARE. So again with working with  CRYSTAL BALL here...

It might be a controller issue but???

Does your system works with MINI2?
2017-2-20
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-2-20 21:15
Hey Punch,

I am with you but we can't compare apple and orange MP is NOT P4P so logic still stand that he needs to try another tablet and if it worked with a phone then it is NOT the controller.

I recall the green screen issue with P4 only appeared with Android app but I thought was nevertheless due to the RC firmware, and resolved by downgrading RC from 1.8 to 1.6? But I could be getting my craft issues mixed up here.
Anyway, yeah, I use both a Mini2 or an Android tablet, depending on what I read about each latest app version for that OS. The green screens I've experienced with the P4P was while using the Mini2. I keep reading that Litchi is less likely to have transmission issues (in close range), as 32 channel support is in-built, but I've yet to confirm either. But then that'll add a whole new variable to the mix here (hehe).

Testing to be done this weekend by the looks of it.
2017-2-20
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-20 21:46
I recall the green screen issue with P4 only appeared with Android app but I thought was nevertheless due to the RC firmware, and resolved by downgrading RC from 1.8 to 1.6? But I could be getting my craft issues mixed up here.
Anyway, yeah, I use both a Mini2 or an Android tablet, depending on what I read about each latest app version for that OS. The green screens I've experienced with the P4P was while using the Mini3. I keep reading that Litchi is less likely to have transmission issues (in close range), as 32 channel support is in-built, but I've yet to confirm either. But then that'll add a whole new variable to the mix here (hehe).

You mean MINI2 not MINI3... Keep us posted!
2017-2-21
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-2-21 07:43
You mean MINI2 not MINI3... Keep us posted!

Correct. My blunder has been edited. Cheers.
2017-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules