Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI ND Filters Broken Glass
3253 31 2017-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gary Masson
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Be very careful how you handle these tiny ND Filters for the Mavic folks.  The ND8 was used once. I was very careful in putting it onto the lens and very careful taking it off but it is way too fragile. Perhaps giving us buyers a decent filter holder would help rather than those ridiculous plastic bags.

ND8

ND8
2017-2-20
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Out of curiosity, what exactly caused yours to break? I'm curious because I own these and have used them a handful of times with no problems. And did you not get the grey spongy foam container with yours?
2017-2-20
Use props
Gary Masson
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-20 14:11
Out of curiosity, what exactly caused yours to break? I'm curious because I own these and have used them a handful of times with no problems. And did you not get the grey spongy foam container with yours?

Honestly, I don't know.  I handled the ND8 twice. Once to put it on and once to take it off. Apparently, the problem is more widespread than you think. I saw almost the exact same image on another forum. The problem was identical.  A straight crack right across the full diameter of the filter. Very odd.
2017-2-20
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Gary Masson Posted at 2017-2-20 14:52
Honestly, I don't know.  I handled the ND8 twice. Once to put it on and once to take it off. Apparently, the problem is more widespread than you think. I saw almost the exact same image on another forum. The problem was identical.  A straight crack right across the full diameter of the filter. Very odd.

Yes, I saw one other report of it too, but so far I haven't had a problem with them; I'm sorry to hear that you did.
2017-2-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Very sorry to hear the issue, I'll report it to our engineers as well.
2017-2-21
Use props
Gary Masson
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-2-21 03:07
Very sorry to hear the issue, I'll report it to our engineers as well.

Thanks Natalia.  The only problem now is that I can't simply order the ND8 replacement as they are, of course sold in packs of three. Perhaps this is also something you could discuss with the relevant people. I would like to have been able to order only a replacement for the broken filter; if possible.
2017-2-21
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Gary Masson Posted at 2017-2-20 14:52

The entire outer ring is plastic, right?  I'm sure that doesn't help.  The plastic probably wants to flex when you're taking it on and off of the camera, but the glass doesn't.  That's sucky.
2017-2-21
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-2-21 12:06
The entire outer ring is plastic, right?  I'm sure that doesn't help.  The plastic probably wants to flex when you're taking it on and off of the camera, but the glass doesn't.  That's sucky.

The entire outer ring is plastic, right?

Yes, and they definitely do feel more fragile than the aluminum-housed competitors (e.g., Tacos). Installing these is easy, but I find removing them a little tricky: you basically have to pull two of the tabs away from the gimbal simultaneously. And to also support / stabilize the gimbal while doing that means that you have no hands free and just have to let it fall off. On the other hand, both installation and removal seem less stressful for the gimbal than the competitors' products.
2017-2-21
Use props
clk3
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I had a 1 flight nd16 filter. I'm always pretty careful but taking it off I guess I'm all thumbs and broke it. 16729278_10210800831088512_2214170361086581_n.jpg

1 trip nd filter

1 trip nd filter
2017-2-22
Use props
Kingfisher2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37808 ft
South Africa

I think that the PolarPro filters are the ones to go for. I had them for my Phantom and I now have them for my Mavic. Very happy indeed. Also a great company to deal with.
2017-2-22
Use props
墨老爷子
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

1. We have tried to make the ND filter small and light-weighted, because the small gimbal is very sensitive to weight and center of gravity. Its performance will be affected if a large or overweight item is mounted to the lens.
2. Every ND filter has passed a force resistance test before shipment. The filter will only come off when bearing a force that is stronger than the required force. A force that is much stronger than the required force is required for cracking the lens.
3. Please attach and remove the ND filter strictly following the instructions in the user manual. (Loosen the two buckles before removing the ND filter.)
If you have any questions, feel free to contact DJI Support.
2017-2-22
Use props
SkyMemories
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139967 ft

Malaysia

Doubt of the quality...
2017-2-23
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

I only install/remove my DJI filters with the mavic powered off and with the gimbal clamp securely installed. I also place a small cloth in front of the lens/filter to "catch" the filter from flying off when I slowly and carefully loosen the two clamps on the filter.

And when I install, I use the same cloth (eyeglass cleaning cloth) to cover the lens as I very, very carefully push on the edges of the filter to snap it on.

The above method works for me
2017-2-23
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

I'm starting to feel grateful that I ended up canceling my order after the long delays from DJI... I ordered a set of Taco RC instead.
2017-2-23
Use props
fans18da8648
New

United Kingdom

I am also massively disappointed with this product which is made far worse having had to wait about a month and a half for it to arrive! I have made this my first post specifically to voice my concern over the quality control of this item. I have great mechanical sympathy a have just decided to do a trial fit of the filter in order to practise NOT breaking it the field! One trial and.....click! ....on the removal a clean straight line appeared through the filter. I would like to know how many people have had the same problem and DJI are looking to make any re-imbursments for the trouble of AT LEAST make individual replacements available for what is clearly a weak product! GUESSING I WILL HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER MONTH AND A HELF TO RECIEVE ONE OF THOSE!! ........otherwise, Love my Mavic...
2017-2-23
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-2-23
Use props
Gary Masson
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-2-24
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

Are any new answers to this thread blocked on purpose? Or is that a malfunction or the forum software?
Edit: Could it be that no direct answers to the R&D message are allowed here as my message above was published properly?
2017-2-24
Use props
THE ORANGE
New

United Kingdom

Dronoob Posted at 2017-2-24 08:32
Are any new answers to this thread blocked on purpose? Or is that a malfunction or the forum software?
Edit: Could it be that no direct answers to the R&D message are allowed here as my message above was published properly?

Sadly it would seem not. I find most company forums seem to provide little response to actual problems. It would be nice if the concerns voiced here were at least recognised by a representative of some sort.

2017-2-25
Use props
THE ORANGE
New

United Kingdom

Dronoob Posted at 2017-2-24 08:32

Sadly it would seem not. I find most company forums seem to provide little response to actual problems. It would be nice if the concerns voiced here were at least recognised by a representative of some sort.
2017-2-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

This is surprising given the exhaustive & thorough testing through which DJI put all of their products.
2017-2-25
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

clearly they should change the design, clearly with this when removing the frame will bend to easily and will break the thin glass...clearly it is a problem for a lot o people and very annoying to break on first use
dji back to drawing board...and give some coupons those that have already payed this one to purchase the new improved design
2017-2-25
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

try to keep with the finger pressed the ridge above the clamp when bending the clamp  to remove...maybe will help on decreasing the bend on circle and concentrate it only to clamp
2017-2-25
Use props
ExiledBlue
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5928881 ft
Thailand

https://www.aliexpress.com/item- ... 08.1000017.6.qCQ3rF

Just got these delivered, very good, and very high quality

No gimbal calibrations issues either.
2017-2-25
Use props
Steve O
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29531 ft
United Kingdom

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-23 06:00
I'm starting to feel grateful that I ended up canceling my order after the long delays from DJI... I ordered a set of Taco RC instead.

I to am looking at the Taco RC. How are they and do they affect the gimble on start up?
2017-4-29
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Steve O Posted at 2017-4-29 02:06
I to am looking at the Taco RC. How are they and do they affect the gimble on start up?

The Tacos work great and don't affect the gimbal on startup.
2017-4-29
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Steve O Posted at 2017-4-29 02:06

I wish I could give you a solid review, but unfortunately my Mavic's camera malfunctioned shortly after I bought the filters. I got barely any footage with them, so I can't comment on image quality. I've heard others say they're great, though. And no, I never had a problem with them during the gimbal startup procedure.
2017-4-29
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the filters and broke the ND8 just trying to get it out of the packaging.  As people have said, these are extremely fragile, but, they are designed for the Mavic.  I only use a ND16 filter for daytime use, so, I had been flying with it till I lost my Mavic.  I will say you must be extremely conscious of the fragile build of these filters.  However, the design is tailor made for the Mavic's tiny camera.
2017-4-29
Use props
Bintryin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164406 ft
Australia

They are a total waist of money they break they have a bad blue colour cast . Just RUBBISH!!!!
2017-4-29
Use props
fans2d7d9047
lvl.1
Flight distance : 563724 ft
Australia

Bintryin Posted at 2017-4-29 16:28
They are a total waist of money they break they have a bad blue colour cast . Just RUBBISH!!!!

I'm not getting colour issues. Are you sure it's not a colour style or a white balance issue?
2017-5-24
Use props
Bintryin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164406 ft
Australia

fans2d7d9047 Posted at 2017-5-24 05:46
I'm not getting colour issues. Are you sure it's not a colour style or a white balance issue?

Yep they have a blue colour tinge I now have the best polar pro and they are great
2017-5-24
Use props
mail83
lvl.1
Canada

So I've now broken the lens on both my ND8 and ND16 simply by the process of removing them. They are that fragile! $40 or so dollars flushed down the toilet.
2017-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules