Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Motor overload/ Low voltage
6956 19 2017-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spexel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70210 ft
United States

I just took off and got no higher than 10 feet before i got a motor overloaded message, then about 10 seconds later, i got a critically low voltage alert and it began landing, my voltage was about 3.5. Is this a battery or motor issue?
2017-2-21
Use props
Spexel
lvl.1
United States

Also my battery level was at about 25%
2017-2-21
Use props
Spexel
lvl.1
United States

I only flew for about 10 times also, the battery cell voltage is the following 3.69, 3.7,3.7,3.7 when idle
2017-2-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

What was your battery level when you took off?
2017-2-21
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

did you take the gimball protection off? You get the same message on the MAVIC PRO if you leave thye gimbal protection on. Also you should never fly with 3/4 empty battery. Always charge your battery to 100%.
2017-2-21
Use props
Spexel
lvl.1
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-21 19:01
did you take the gimball protection off? You get the same message on the MAVIC PRO if you leave thye gimbal protection on. Also you should never fly with 3/4 empty battery. Always charge your battery to 100%.

Yes I took of the plastic film, foam and plastic protection. Also at what voltage does the drone begin its emergency landing thing?
2017-2-21
Use props
Spexel
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-21 18:53
What was your battery level when you took off?

I've found the solution, just a quick question, while im flying, at what voltage should i start heading back home?
2017-2-21
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Spexel Posted at 2017-2-21 19:21
I've found the solution, just a quick question, while im flying, at what voltage should i start heading back home?

You should put the warning for the return back home at 20%. It should give you enough time to get back home. Also checkl the battery itself for any damages, swelling etc. and keep an eye on it while flying.
2017-2-21
Use props
Spexel
lvl.1
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-21 19:28
You should put the warning for the return back home at 20%. It should give you enough time to get back home. Also checkl the battery itself for any damages, swelling etc. and keep an eye on it while flying.

By return to home you mean critical right? Once the battery reaches the critical setting it will auto return home?
2017-2-22
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Spexel Posted at 2017-2-22 11:23
By return to home you mean critical right? Once the battery reaches the critical setting it will auto return home?

Yes... I am more conservative. In case you have sudden wind gust etc.
2017-2-22
Use props
NoneYet
lvl.1
Flight distance : 104708 ft

United States

Spexel Posted at 2017-2-21 19:21

What was the solution?
2017-2-22
Use props
SkyFlyMike
lvl.1
Flight distance : 575167 ft
United States

I also had a critically low voltage message. The drone started to land and I was over a lake. Luckily I was able to bring it back over land. When I started to take off the battery had about 75% left. It seems fine now. Strange
2017-2-22
Use props
Spexel
lvl.1
United States

NoneYet Posted at 2017-2-22 17:18
What was the solution?

The percentage is not all that trustworthy, if you go into the dji app>camera>open up the settings>go to battery>advanced settings> and enable show voltage on main screen. The aircraft will began its low voltage landing at around 3.5v, so i would start heading home at around 3.6-.65
2017-2-23
Use props
bebb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 104708 ft

United States

Spexel Posted at 2017-2-23 11:53
The percentage is not all that trustworthy, if you go into the dji app>camera>open up the settings>go to battery>advanced settings> and enable show voltage on main screen. The aircraft will began its low voltage landing at around 3.5v, so i would start heading home at around 3.6-.65

3.6-3.65 got it! thanks.
2017-8-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Spexel Posted at 2017-2-23 11:53

One general rule about flying drones is never take off with a partially discharge battery, and never fly on a battery you charged some days or weeks before. Always fully charge a battery just before flying.
2017-8-13
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

yes, always make sure it's above 90% before takeoff, otherwise weird things happen.. also, if possible, leave the battery discharged to about 20-25% if u know u gonna fly for a while... if u always charge full, make sure u fly in 3-4 days...  even if it means hovering around... yes, they will discharge, but it's a waste... right?
2017-8-13
Use props
Spexel
lvl.1
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-8-13 16:24
yes, always make sure it's above 90% before takeoff, otherwise weird things happen.. also, if possible, leave the battery discharged to about 20-25% if u know u gonna fly for a while... if u always charge full, make sure u fly in 3-4 days...  even if it means hovering around... yes, they will discharge, but it's a waste... right?

You mean if I'm not gonna fly for a while?
2017-9-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I would follow the advice given in the DJI Phantom 3 Battery Safety Guidelines pdf.  

Re what percentage charge you need in the battery to launch the AC, see the top of page 3.  

Re what percentage charge you need in the battery to store the battery, see the middle of page 3.

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/p ... _Guidelines__en.pdf

2017-9-16
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-16 13:31
I would follow the advice given in the DJI Phantom 3 Battery Safety Guidelines pdf.  

Re what percentage charge you need in the battery to launch the AC, see the top of page 3.  

I did not realize about hibernation mode! That  may be why some people had a problem with a battery not used for a while! Now I know!
2017-9-27
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

interesting to see battery low voltage issues with higher percentages remaining.   did you store the batteries fully charged for a long period of time (like a week or 2) ?  i know sometimes once the battery starts to go into storage mode and self discharges (default is 10 days) it isn't always accurately showing correct percentages if you think just pop it back into the drone and start flying.  this could make it indicate 100% but then have critical voltages half way through the battery..

i have seen a few battery error on my mavic pro if i fly it hard in sport mode sometimes says discharging too fast or something like that..but i haven't had a critical voltage issue.  only had one time where i dropped from mid 30% range to sub 20% range like in an instant, but that hasn't happened again..i imagine maybe my battery was starting to self discharge  in similar way and it didn't mark correct amount remaining..  i did a "recalibration" of that battery.  have not seen the issue since.

if you store the batteries for periods of time like a week + , make sure to store them was 30-50% remaining if possible..then before you push them hard, may need to 'recalibrate" them so to speak which is to charge them up fly the drone close by until it lands itself from low battery,  then let the drone die (cut off from low battery protection) then recharge it completely, gives the counters and smart circuit some fresh numbers to work with.. it is debating if it works or not, but you shouldn't be able to harm the batteries since they are highly protected as long as not stored "dead".
2017-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules