o(^-^)o
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Tora! Tora! Tora! Death from above!

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/ ... 0170221-gui8nm.html

The drones they trained with look familiar. Beware trained eagles...
2017-2-22
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Well trained birds!, this was bought up about two weeks ago, check it out in this thread https://forum.dji.com/thread-84495-1-1.html
2017-2-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The French are idiots, what sort of threat can a toy drone pose? As for the report of a drone dropping 'bombs' on Iraqi soldiers, what a crock!
2017-2-22
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2017-2-22 15:52
Well trained birds!, this was bought up about two weeks ago, check it out in this thread https://forum.dji.com/thread-84495-1-1.html

True, but this article has a video of them doing it...

Anyway, I see it as a non-lethal way of maintaining law and reducing the risk to public in a variety of ways. Geebax, perhaps CASA will deploy similar to manage the airspace of a city near you soon.  ;-)
2017-2-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-22 16:48
True, but this article has a video of them doing it...

Anyway, I see it as a non-lethal way of maintaining law and reducing the risk to public in a variety of ways. Geebax, perhaps CASA will deploy similar to manage the airspace of a city near you soon.  ;-)

I doubt it. CASA are virtually useless. Apart from which, it is police trying out this stupid idea, not aviation authorities. More than anything, I fear for the well-being of the eagles.
2017-2-22
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-22 18:52
I doubt it. CASA are virtually useless. Apart from which, it is police trying out this stupid idea, not aviation authorities. More than anything, I fear for the well-being of the eagles.

Yeah, I wondered about the eagles myself. But according to the article, they'll be wearing 'blast proof' gloves on their claws. Umm, OoooK...
2017-2-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-22 19:10
Yeah, I wondered about the eagles myself. But according to the article, they'll be wearing 'blast proof' gloves on their claws. Umm, OoooK...

That is fine if you assume (like those idiots) that the props will only strike their feet and legs, but they are just as likely to cut into the bird's body. And if they happen to be carbon fibre props....

The history of man is littered with thousands of cases of inappropriate exploitation of animals with no regard for their welfare. This is stupid, dangerous and shows no respect for such a wonderful bird.
2017-2-22
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-22 19:36
That is fine if you assume (like those idiots) that the props will only strike their feet and legs, but they are just as likely to cut into the bird's body. And if they happen to be carbon fibre props....

The history of man is littered with thousands of cases of inappropriate exploitation of animals with no regard for their welfare. This is stupid, dangerous and shows no respect for such a wonderful bird.

Again, can't disagree.
2017-2-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-22 16:25
The French are idiots, what sort of threat can a toy drone pose? As for the report of a drone dropping 'bombs' on Iraqi soldiers, what a crock!

The Netherlands has the same idea for using birds of prey to take down small-medium size drones.
2017-2-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-22 18:52

The skin around their talons are pretty thick. They're used to having prey that will occasionally fight back. From what I've seen, they don't seem to have a lot of qualms with attacking small units like this without the 'training'.
2017-2-23
Use props
SkyMemories
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139967 ft

Malaysia

Phantom: Run for your life.. haha.
2017-2-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-23 00:15
The skin around their talons are pretty thick. They're used to having prey that will occasionally fight back. From what I've seen, they don't seem to have a lot of qualms with attacking small units like this without the 'training'.

Why are you defending this? As I said earlier, if the eagle gets a bad grip on the aircraft, or it is a larger aircraft than a Phantom, those nasty props could very easily cut into their body. Why take that sort of risk?
2017-2-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-23 00:14
The Netherlands has the same idea for using birds of prey to take down small-medium size drones.

Then they are as stupid as the French as well. Where I live we have a pair of eagles nesting nearby, been there for many years. I would defend them against any outside influences, so I am unimpressed when I see fools training them for stupid tasks like this.
2017-2-23
Use props
MrWhite
lvl.1
Flight distance : 272 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-22 19:36

I am a licensed Master Falconer in the US and have hunted with hawks for many years. When flying my P4P the other day, a Red Tail hawk attacked it, at about 200ft AGL, but immediately let go of it. I landed promptly and gave my craft a close inspection with no apparent damage to the drone or any evidence of an injured bird, I continued to fly but at a much lower altitude. The P4P can definitely out maneuver a hawk, except in a dive, but I was using the FPV to set up a shot and didn't see the hawk stoop for an impending strike. It, I, was literally a sitting duck! Fortunately, the hawk didn't care for the taste of plastic.  
2017-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules