P3 Advanced Firware Upgrade v1.10.90 crashed my drone into the ocean
1774 29 2017-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Milty
lvl.1

Canada

Hello,

Bought my P3 advanced last fall and after getting it all set up with firmware etc. calibrations etc, I  took it on several hours of test flights with no issues and got some very good practice flying with confidence.  I bought this drown almost exclusively for dropping weighted shark baits 400-500 m out in to the ocean.  I did alot of research before buying it and was confident from all the independent testers it would handkle 1 Kg payload with no issues.  (it can lift far more).  I did my own tests lifting 1 Kg and dropping it over land many times.  i went up to 1.5 Kg and noticed some minor control issues, so i decided 1 Kg would be the max.  Last trip south in December (with old firmware  v1.9.60 installed)  I had zero issues dropping a dozen baits 500 m out in up to 20 mph winds.  Seemed to work pretty well for what I had intended.

With my latest trip south coming up in early Feb, i saw the new Firmware upgrade on DJI site so i followed the steps i learned and upgraded everything as per the first time i did it.  Everything seemed fine, except i noticed the crosssticks would not shut down the engines, so i found the alternative way with 3 seconds down.  Got to the beach and set up as previously, as soon as i flew 20m up with less than 1 Kg it started spinning around uncontrollably and immediately hit return to home.  Got it back, and restarted everything.  All seemed well, and used even less weight, 600 g now, and same thing happened and then return to home worked.  I restarted everything again and the drone was beaping very loudly but all was good on my iphone 'Ready to fly'  so i tried again, when only ascending with the joysticks and no weight this time, the drone flew straight down into the ocean.  it was only 10 yards from shore, so i got it back, but im sure with the salt water and sand, it is toast.  We spent all of of fresh water resources rinsing it, then 6 hours of sun, then 3 days later gave it a freshwater shower and it is currently drying out.  I do no expect I will get it going again.

I firmly believe the latest Firmware upgrade cause the problem and my crash.  After reading 100's of crash stories on this forum due to firm ware upgrades, i am starting to think DJI is liable and whether intentionally or not, there should be some sort of class action.  We are loising $1000's of our equipment due to a sotware upgrade that was actually a down grade and leads to loss of your drone.  WHo else is in the same boat ?
2017-2-22
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

It would be interesting to see that flight log. If you'd like to share it and let people comment on it, then please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.
2017-2-22
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The warning for me would have been "BEEPING LOUDLY" to make me NOT fly the drone again before I check it and make sure it is working.

You might had a loose propeller, overheated motor /battery because of overload and high /gusty wind.

Need to post your log files first. Good luck!
2017-2-22
Use props
Milty
lvl.1

Canada

dronist Posted at 2017-2-22 19:55
The warning for me would have been "BEEPING LOUDLY" to make me NOT fly the drone again before I check it and make sure it is working.

You might had a loose propeller, overheated motor /battery because of overload and high /gusty wind.

I did check, it was working.  Anytime there have been issues in the past they would show up on my phone Does 'Ready to Fly' mean 'Ready to Fly' ?    I will check for the flight log, but 100's of others that experienced problems SINCE the software upgrade cant all be wrong.  
2017-2-22
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

Milty Posted at 2017-2-22 20:48
I did check, it was working.  Anytime there have been issues in the past they would show up on my phone Does 'Ready to Fly' mean 'Ready to Fly' ?    I will check for the flight log, but 100's of others that experienced problems SINCE the software upgrade cant all be wrong.

If you are going to point fingers then at least post your logs.
2017-2-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Milty Posted at 2017-2-22 20:48

I restarted everything again and the drone was beaping very loudly but all was good on my iphone 'Ready to fly'  so i tried again, when only ascending with the joysticks and no weight this time, the drone flew straight down into the ocean.

I firmly believe the latest Firmware upgrade cause the problem and my crash.  After reading 100's of crash stories on this forum due to firm ware upgrades, i am starting to think DJI is liable and whether intentionally or not, there should be some sort of class action.  We are loising $1000's of our equipment due to a sotware upgrade that was actually a down grade and leads to loss of your drone.  WHo else is in the same boat ?

You say "I firmly believe the latest Firmware upgrade cause the problem and my crash" but provide no evidence to link your issue with the firmware update.
What makes you think it was firmware?

"the drone was beaping very loudly but all was good on my iphone"
It's telling there's a problem ... but you just launch anyway?

"After reading 100's of crash stories on this forum due to firm ware upgrades, i am starting to think DJI is liable and whether intentionally or not, there should be some sort of class action"
"100's of others that experienced problems SINCE the software upgrade cant all be wrong"
You must be reading a different forum than I am.
Please show me where there are hundreds of users having these problems
2017-2-22
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Everything seemed fine, except i noticed the crosssticks would not shut down the engines, so i found the alternative way with 3 seconds down.

It looks like you were trying to shut down using a CSC move on the joysticks (both down and in or down and out).  This has not been the preferred shutdown procedure for some time as it can cause the aircraft to tilt over on the ground and damage the props.  The manual has been updated to reflect the left-stick-down method for shutting off the motors once it has landed.  Your CSC would appear not to have worked in shutting down the motors because the latest firmware has increased the shutdown time to 3 seconds, which is around 10 times longer than it was previously.  It was mentioned in the text file that accompanied the firmware when you downloaded it, and it would have had an obvious name like "changes" or "read me".

Unless you upload a flight log for others to impartially examine, your post comes off as just a baseless rant.
2017-2-23
Use props
SimonH78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

User error once again! - So I'll blame the firmware -  !!
2017-2-23
Use props
Sp00nix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28678 ft
United States

Commenting to follow this.
2017-2-23
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

I know DJI support needs work, but I see posts like this over and over again, where it's user error, but the user can't blame himself, so he blasts DJI. Is it me, or for every one issue where it was a problem with the drone or the software, there are 100's of people like this guy, who are actually the real problem, yet DJI gets the blame?

From reading through these forums from time to time, it also seems like DJI has no issue replacing or repairing drones where they find the issue to be caused by something they are responsible for.  

Post your logs OP.  If you have an actual problem I'm willing to be DJI will gladly help you out.
2017-2-23
Use props
Chris Valcik
lvl.1

United States

I don't understand all these posts about drone failure and firmware problems. I have been flying since December and as soon as I got my new P3P I read the manuals, upgraded the firmware first thing. I read, flew as a beginner, learned the drone and so far have flown 43 flights and have never experienced any problems like so many post. Maybe I'm just lucky and got a "good" drone. I'd like to think it's because I read, practiced and learned. My latest firmware works great. Always has since day one.
2017-2-23
Use props
Milty
lvl.1

Canada

Maxxgold Posted at 2017-2-23 11:21
I know DJI support needs work, but I see posts like this over and over again, where it's user error, but the user can't blame himself, so he blasts DJI. Is it me, or for every one issue where it was a problem with the drone or the software, there are 100's of people like this guy, who are actually the real problem, yet DJI gets the blame?

From reading through these forums from time to time, it also seems like DJI has no issue replacing or repairing drones where they find the issue to be caused by something they are responsible for.  

Flight 1:  Where it spun out of control the first time.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/GJRYCDZKBVLOB2KBWS82/

Flight 2: Where it spun out of control the second time.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/CT2S9MAE74VI7CU5T1JW/

Flight 3:  Where it dove straight into the ocean.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8QHV5KPG32BK39A7PZYZ/

I'm going to go back and look at the other flight logs before the upgrade.  
2017-2-23
Use props
Milty
lvl.1

Canada

Milty Posted at 2017-2-23 17:13
Flight 1:  Where it spun out of control the first time.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/GJRYCDZKBVLOB2KBWS82/

Here is the flight record from Dec 13, 2016 before I updated the new firmware.  Carrying more weight that the records posted above, absolutely zero issues.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/E7BNA1J99J5D9Q40UGSR/
2017-2-23
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

s

Milty Posted at 2017-2-23 17:48
Here is the flight record from Dec 13, 2016 before I updated the new firmware.  Carrying more weight that the records posted above, absolutely zero issues.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/E7BNA1J99J5D9Q40UGSR/

You had so many warnings and you still flew. Winds/ wind gust/ overload...

These are flying drone and NOT HAULING DRONES....

It won't work FOR YOU TO claim it worked before when you are NOT supposed to overload the unit IN THE FIRST PALCE!
2017-2-23
Use props
Milty
lvl.1

Canada

dronist Posted at 2017-2-23 17:56
You had so many warnings and you still flew. Winds/ wind gust/ overload...

These are flying drone and NOT HAULING DRONES....

I will try and dig up the specs where DJI claims this unit can haul a payload of 1.2 Kg in winds up to 25 mph.  The payload was half that and so were the winds.  The problem only started after the firmware upgrade.  Before it, I did carry 1 kg in higher winds,  with no issues while flying.    I don't know if you looked at the flight records I posted, but Flight 3 where it crashed, had hardly any weight, and the winds were calm.  I can read the records, I see when the motor voltage goes below 3.5 you get a warning (after the fact in the flight records).  You can see during the flight records during the crash flight, it went up and crashed very quickly without excessive overload.   This unit does not even come close to living up to the published specs.  Why do I not get a warning on my unit if the drone is having an issue WHILE I am flying it ?   Again the problems started after the firmware upgrade.   To all those that say 'Operator Error' ...BS !!  These units with constantly changing firmware are thrown on the market before even being tested and do not live up to their specs and it is clear to me the firmware upgrade has issues and that's that !!   If  someone can offer an explanation other than the Keyboard warrior 'Operator error' please post !!  I was flying within the specs and within the stated capacities of the drone.  Never had an issue before firmware upgrade.  
2017-2-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Milty Posted at 2017-2-23 18:29
I will try and dig up the specs where DJI claims this unit can haul a payload of 1.2 Kg in winds up to 25 mph.  The payload was half that and so were the winds.  The problem only started after the firmware upgrade.  Before it, I did carry 1 kg in higher winds,  with no issues while flying.    I don't know if you looked at the flight records I posted, but Flight 3 where it crashed, had hardly any weight, and the winds were calm.  I can read the records, I see when the motor voltage goes below 3.5 you get a warning (after the fact in the flight records).  You can see during the flight records during the crash flight, it went up and crashed very quickly without excessive overload.   This unit does not even come close to living up to the published specs.  Why do I not get a warning on my unit if the drone is having an issue WHILE I am flying it ?   Again the problems started after the firmware upgrade.   To all those that say 'Operator Error' ...BS !!  These units with constantly changing firmware are thrown on the market before even being tested and do not live up to their specs and it is clear to me the firmware upgrade has issues and that's that !!   If  someone can offer an explanation other than the Keyboard warrior 'Operator error' please post !!  I was flying within the specs and within the stated capacities of the drone.  Never had an issue before firmware upgrade.

'I will try and dig up the specs where DJI claims this unit can haul a payload of 1.2 Kg in winds up to 25 mph. '

Good luck with that. I looked up the specs too and DJI do not issue a specification detailing anything about the payload capacity, much less the weight at a given speed. That is probably because the aircraft is not intended to carry anything other than the camera it is equipped with.

With regard to your idea about a class action, you obviously do not understand what they are about. You would have to find a law firm that was willing to take this on, and it would have to have a common set of circumstances, so how many others are you going to find who crashed their aircraft due to a firmware upgrade? In your case, the DJI lawyers would simply point out that you were using the aircraft for a purpose that was not intended by the manufacturers and your case would be thrown out.

2017-2-23
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-23 18:55
'I will try and dig up the specs where DJI claims this unit can haul a payload of 1.2 Kg in winds up to 25 mph. '

Good luck with that. I looked up the specs too and DJI do not issue a specification detailing anything about the payload capacity, much less the weight at a given speed. That is probably because the aircraft is not intended to carry anything other than the camera it is equipped with.

Not only that....If it was me and am getting all these warnings, common sense will kick in and I will ground my AC go as far away from the beach as I can and then try to figure out what happened before I get it up in the air again.

SAFETY FIRST, SHARK BAITING SECOND...
2017-2-23
Use props
Milty
lvl.1

Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-23 18:55

It appears those specs have been taken down.   They used to have them right in the specs when I first looked into P3's.   I suppose they took them down when they realized their drones don't live up to the specs and they still don't.   I flew it enough under the same conditions to realize there was a HUGE difference after the latest firmware upgrade.  I also read enough experiences of similar on this forum, which is the only reason I started this post.   It was an ok drone before the firmware changed, it became a POS after.  I am a scientist and I know how to evaluate.   The Term Class Action was used very loosely as in as far as ive seen 100's if not many more have experienced issues since the firmware upgrade that they didn't have before.  The flavor of reply feels like DJI tech geek poindexters that live off this site, lol.   I see I will get nowhere here, just like you get nowhere with DJI for anything, and independent Youtube posters have better support.  I know 100's of potential drone customers and they will all get me review that they have been waiting for !!  
2017-2-23
Use props
Milty
lvl.1

Canada

dronist Posted at 2017-2-23 19:50
Not only that....If it was me and am getting all these warnings, common sense will kick in and I will ground my AC go as far away from the beach as I can and then try to figure out what happened before I get it up in the air again.

SAFETY FIRST, SHARK BAITING SECOND...

What warnings ?  I would never have used it if the screen didn't say 'SAFE TO FLY'  Am I supposed to go into the flight recording decoding procedure on the beach ?  or should those warnings appear on my device in real time ?  WHICH THEY DID NOT !!!  If more time is supposed to spent on determining what is wrong with these units on a constant basis they should NOT be on the market !!
2017-2-23
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Milty Posted at 2017-2-23 20:16
What warnings ?  I would never have used it if the screen didn't say 'SAFE TO FLY'  Am I supposed to go into the flight recording decoding procedure on the beach ?  or should those warnings appear on my device in real time ?  WHICH THEY DID NOT !!!  If more time is supposed to spent on determining what is wrong with these units on a constant basis they should NOT be on the market !!

You said:

"drone was beaping very loudly"
2017-2-23
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

I'm pretty sure DJI never had any load capacity specifications on their site.  You are welcome to browse previous web pages saved on the Internet Archive and post any result back here if you find it.

With regards to the fatal flight, it appears your home point was 3m above sea level, on the leeward side of a breakwater/sandbar which is 7m tall. Standing on the beach you would be reasonably well protected from the full force of any wind blowing out to sea.  It is possible you could be feeling calm air on the ground whereas it is quite turbulent a few meters higher in the air.   After passing over the peak of the landmass, the wind could then roll back towards the surface.

Looking at your logs, it appears that there were indeed forces being applied to your aircraft blowing it down and out, consistent with the previously described wind.   After takeoff, you climbed to 8.5ft then slowly advanced out to sea on a heading of ~60° for about 3 seconds.  Your sticks then show no inputs whatsoever and your aircraft was pushed downwards to 6.9ft, the first downward spike on the flight path.  You then applied gentle upward and forward throttle (less than half deflection) to take you to 24ft, the peak of the flight path.  The records then show a return to idle (sticks centered) and no further input.  The aircraft was left to hover.   During these last three seconds, the aircraft reports a rapid descent down into the water's edge while heading out to sea.  This move would be consistent with a downward rolling wind.  The aircraft reports a rapidly increasing nose-downward pitch increasing to 75° before impact.  There was a sudden change of roll and yaw in the last couple of hundred milliseconds, consistent with impact with the water.  There were no notable changes in roll and yaw beforehand.  All the other telemetry seems consistent and reliable for the flight.

In the absence of any other data it appears your aircraft was pushed out to sea by the wind, and with the lack of any control inputs, the aircraft appears to have been pushed downwards and tumbled into the water.  I would say in this situation the crash was attributable to wind.  This would come down to pilot error, not countering forces applied to the aircraft by the wind, and assuming the aircraft could hold station in a hover by itself.   Sorry for your loss.

wind.png
2017-2-24
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89564 ft
United Kingdom

Is it possible that the motors were pretty much at the maximum with the heavy load so even with a slight wind, they were unable to provide any more power to counteract it hence being carried away?  just guessing........ probably talking nonsense lol!!  Must agree........ madness to fly the drone over water when things are obviously not right.
2017-2-24
Use props
Storm1974
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21109 ft
Netherlands

Hello I have seen your uploaded flight log,.
If you look at the last flight log , you see a drop of voltage.
This will happen when you fly with a 63 % battery.
There not anough temp in your battery to rise the voltage.
When you reach an to low voltage he cuts off the motors or lowers the power on the motor.
Never begin a flight lower then 85 % battery.
It has  nothing to do with a firmware update.

I hope for you that it is a software issues.
And that my opinion is wrong.

Good luck
2017-2-24
Use props
Milty
lvl.1

Canada

GeoffN Posted at 2017-2-24 05:54
Is it possible that the motors were pretty much at the maximum with the heavy load so even with a slight wind, they were unable to provide any more power to counteract it hence being carried away?  just guessing........ probably talking nonsense lol!!  Must agree........ madness to fly the drone over water when things are obviously not right.

Ok I read these replies and there are a lot of assumptions.   There was no 7 m break wall behind us it was a fairly flat beach and why didn't it nosedive the previous 2 flights, just spun around wildly ..is that wind as well ?  .  This winds were also very low so much so that the nosseums were in and out.  I was flying as I normally do and have done repeatedly before the firmware upgrade.  Never before had the unit spun out of control and never before did it do a nose dive straight into the water.  To say I was sitting idle while it did this is ridiculous lol.  Perhaps the software issue contributes also to faulty flight records?   Of all the times I flew this bird, these were the best conditions and the least weight.  If you can fly in 25 mph winds as per specs, the roughly 8 mph with about 6 oz weight and crash makes this drone a piece of garbage !!  Maybe why it appears to be phased out ?  I flew several times with double the weight or more in much higher winds and no issues.   The technology for these things has obviously not been developed enough for them to even be on the market, and then all the firmware upgrades ?  Give me a break.   I would be willing to be more are crashed in the first week then not.  
2017-2-24
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

Milty Posted at 2017-2-24 14:46
Ok I read these replies and there are a lot of assumptions.   There was no 7 m break wall behind us it was a fairly flat beach and why didn't it nosedive the previous 2 flights, just spun around wildly ..is that wind as well ?  .  This winds were also very low so much so that the nosseums were in and out.  I was flying as I normally do and have done repeatedly before the firmware upgrade.  Never before had the unit spun out of control and never before did it do a nose dive straight into the water.  To say I was sitting idle while it did this is ridiculous lol.  Perhaps the software issue contributes also to faulty flight records?   Of all the times I flew this bird, these were the best conditions and the least weight.  If you can fly in 25 mph winds as per specs, the roughly 8 mph with about 6 oz weight and crash makes this drone a piece of garbage !!  Maybe why it appears to be phased out ?  I flew several times with double the weight or more in much higher winds and no issues.   The technology for these things has obviously not been developed enough for them to even be on the market, and then all the firmware upgrades ?  Give me a break.   I would be willing to be more are crashed in the first week then not.

I am a scientist and I know how to evaluate.
I don't think much of your scientific method, when the proof is staring you in the face and all you have to offer is that you have an opinion about the maturity of the firmware and your own assumptions.  You aren't the first person on the forums to have formed an incorrect assumption and refused to look at the data impartially.  I'm sure you won't be the last.  You haven't provided any proof but you cling to your own conclusion as infallible.  The other scientists out there don't agree with you.

Ok I read these replies and there are a lot of assumptions.
The assumptions are valid observations based on the data and evidence.   Look at the facts and tell us why they are wrong.  Tell us how the conclusions were wrong and how the facts lead to a different conclusion.

There was no 7 m break wall behind us
Yeah, there was.  According to the facts provided by your GPS coordinates, we are able to determine that your home point on the beach was at 3m ASL (above sea level).  Behind you was land mass and foliage that ascended up to 7m ASL.  This provides you with an effective windbreak, 4m taller than your home position, and 7m above the water.  Refer to this cross-section of the land and take it up with Google if you disagree with their data, images and 3D modeling.
googleearthelevation.png
There are many studies of fluid dynamics that confirm wind behaviour leeward of a windbreak manifesting in rolling turbulence.  This model perfectly explains the behaviour of your aircraft at this location, and in the absence of any other credible theory is the likely explanation.
design_1_5.jpg

why didn't it nose dive the previous 2 flights
I don't know, maybe the wind behaved differently on those flights?  What the wind did yesterday, or 5 minutes before or after has no bearing on what it is doing now.  Much like flipping a coin, previous and later results do not influence the outcome of the current flip.  Have a read about the wind shear phenomenon.  Thankfully this does not strike every aircraft coming in for a landing, but it occasionally does, with catastrophic results.  I don't think anyone can tell you why this situation occurs, and neither can they predict when it will happen.

is that wind as well ?
Most likely. Adding considerable weight payloads does not help either.  Any reserve power that the aircraft had to counter any wind forces is spent on keeping a heavy airframe aloft.  All it needs is a sudden gust or change of direction to catch you out.

This winds were also very low
On the ground.  Unless you are Superman flying around in the airstream you really have no idea how strong the winds were at altitude.

Never before had the unit spun out of control
Saying that it had never done something before is not evidence that it could not do it now.  You have been provided with a scenario which fits your observation, which is backed up with data from the flight recorder.  Come up with another scenario that explains what happened.  I have no idea how one would program the firmware to randomly crash one aircraft without crashing the thousands of other aircraft out there that fly without problem, time after time.

To say I was sitting idle while it did this is ridiculous

No.  From around 30 to 33 seconds you applied moderate forward and upward input.  At 33 seconds it shows the altitude decreasing all the way to the ground and your sticks were centered, aside from some insignificant movements at impact at 36 seconds.  You made no attempt to counter the unexpected altitude descent.  This is clearly shown in the flight data.  They were left at idle and you left the aircraft to hover.
spreadsheet.png

Perhaps the software issue contributes also to faulty flight records?
There is absolutely no evidence to suggest there is a fault with the software, or that the flight records are erroneous and unreliable.  Please show where you have examined the software code and discovered an error.

The technology for these things has obviously not been developed enough for them to even be on the market, and then all the firmware upgrades ?
The technology has been developed since the Phantom 1 and the firmware has been improved to change functionality and improve performance and reliability.  These aircraft have been tested and developed adequately for them to be on the market, as evidenced by the number of machines sold, with DJI being the market leader in consumer drones.   Product improvements and upgrades are a good sign of a manufacturer that is prepared to support and improve their product, not an admission of a faulty product.  Clearly you are lashing out because you are disappointed having crashed it.  Your objectivity is suffering as a result, and you are seeing problems where none exist.  Claiming there are hundreds of cases of similar errors is just plain wrong and misleading.
2017-2-25
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89564 ft
United Kingdom

I think you might be being a bit harsh on Dji here.............. True, problems do arise however most people are more than  happy with them and I'm astounded at how impressive the technology is and just accept there will be some problems now and then. Buy a new model of car, whatever................. there are often early problems which take a while to iron out yet we don't just dismiss the thing as "garbage".  Out of curiosity, how did you get it to "drop" the shark bait into the water?   I'm sure you're right about crashes and that more are crashed in the first week than not............. probably a lot more than that........I had 3!!   It is strange that your problem occurred after the firmware upgrade...... could this be coincidence as other people haven't been affected?    Didn't notice that your final flight was carrying no weight however you ignored the warnings and I'm amazed you still went ahead just a few yards from the sea............. we all make mistakes and live and learn.  Maybe Dji can recompense you if they find this mishap wasn't your fault after all.
2017-2-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Milty Posted at 2017-2-24 14:46

"... I will try and dig up the specs where DJI claims this unit can haul a payload of 1.2 Kg in winds up to 25 mph.
... This unit does not even come close to living up to the published specs.
... These units with constantly changing firmware are thrown on the market before even being tested and do not live up to their specs
... I was flying within the specs and within the stated capacities of the drone.  
... It appears those specs have been taken down.   They used to have them right in the specs when I first looked into P3's.   I suppose they took them down when they realized their drones don't live up to the specs and they still don't."

That's a lot of talk about something that NEVER existed.
And the rest of your rant is about as reliable as your idea about fictitious specs that only ever existed in your mind.
2017-2-25
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Also if you have a strong wind behind you then your drone can lose air speed and drop beyond what you might call stall speed.

I have seen my drone drop when flying over the mountains with the wind behind me but I have hundreds of feet below me to recover.

In fact I put my drone into an accidental spin the other day when possible countering an RTH with a yaw command and my drone dropped height. My good friend JAMCAM was watching do a landing coming back towards the mountain road I lauched from but there is a wall with a straight drop to the valley below. Sure did give us a few faster heartbeats. Not really sure what happened but playing whirlybirds acrobatics wasn't on the agenda.

However what I am sure of it was from an input command I made that sent my drone into a wee tailspin.  Was fun to watch.

2017-2-25
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

endotherm Posted at 2017-2-24 05:23
I'm pretty sure DJI never had any load capacity specifications on their site.  You are welcome to browse previous web pages saved on the Internet Archive and post any result back here if you find it.

With regards to the fatal flight, it appears your home point was 3m above sea level, on the leeward side of a breakwater/sandbar which is 7m tall. Standing on the beach you would be reasonably well protected from the full force of any wind blowing out to sea.  It is possible you could be feeling calm air on the ground whereas it is quite turbulent a few meters higher in the air.   After passing over the peak of the landmass, the wind could then roll back towards the surface.

Or his bait was in the water and a fish pulled the P3 into the water...
2017-2-25
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-25 20:07
That's what I think happened.

Seems logical and matches his description of what happened.
2017-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules