Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Static Shot Osmo Raw?
1656 9 2017-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mizamook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1121519 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi,

This X5R on Osmo is really one of the first devices I have truly "loved" ... I'm gettin gshots I've never been able to get before (using it on a small jib, which is mounted on a Cineslider) to get close intimate shots that I've never been able to get before ... the possibilities are endless, and the image quality is really rocking.  The other DJI stuff .. .well .. you know.  Anyway, I wish I'd gotten it sooner!  Here's a slightly botched shot that would have near impossible without the combined functionality of Second Shooter and Osmo RAW

Problem is, every once in a while I find a framing I'd like to leave ... or sometimes, intentionally create a scenario when I can jsut wait for, say, the sun to go down ... (Liek that last shot .. I knew I had about 10 minutes of batter, and the sun was about to go down behind the mountains in less than that .. but the camera would not stay still!

So the X5R is always moving around for no apparent reason.  Yes, I've done countless calibrations, etc, there is no wind, no other movement ... it just .. moves around.  This makes timelapses, yes, even real time short video TL shots .. near impossible ...

Is there any way to LOCK the motors, and/or disable them and apply a physical lock?

Thanks for any info!

2017-2-22
Use props
Mizamook
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bummer dude.
2017-2-26
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

You can flip the physical locks on with the Z3 model and it will stay static but you'll then get the endless beep warnings so audio is NG.  Does the X5R have those same physical gimbal locks?

Great shot BTW.
2017-2-26
Use props
Mizamook
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dr.nick Posted at 2017-2-26 11:09
You can flip the physical locks on with the Z3 model and it will stay static but you'll then get the endless beep warnings so audio is NG.  Does the X5R have those same physical gimbal locks?

Great shot BTW.

Hi thanks . ..

No, I don't know of any gimbal lock apparatus on the X5R ... however, I'll be "someone" is 3D printing them .. good suggestion.  I don't mind the beeps ... can't record audio anyway with those fans!  

Be really cool if I could operate the camera for pan/level/tilt, make framing I like then easily LOCK.

Lovely cam though .. tried the X5R Osmo on the DJI suction cup base/arm got up to 53mph ... no problems (big bumps can be seen, but no jello)  Well .. one problem .. and this relates to the lock issue ... gimbal overshoots corners!  Would be nice to have an FPV mode that was assignable to pan axis.  

2017-2-26
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

It would be impossible to finish the shot and then engage the locks with the Z3.  No way you could do that cleanly without a camera wobble.  The locks are built in the gimbal and only do pan and yaw, tilt has no lock and freely rotates. I'm sure any external locking would make the gimbal freak out, like when I try and turn a variable ND with the gimbal powered on.

How are you controlling pan and tilt?  With the Second Shooter or Osmo handle thumb or Go App?   

With the app you can exercise an amazing degree of control, feathering shots in and out of pan/tilt, once you get the hang of it.  If you've got that virtual control engaged you may be able to hold the Osmo from wandering long enough to finish the shot???  10 mins is a crazy long time to try and hold it though.
2017-2-26
Use props
Mizamook
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dr.nick Posted at 2017-2-26 15:29
It would be impossible to finish the shot and then engage the locks with the Z3.  No way you could do that cleanly without a camera wobble.  The locks are built in the gimbal and only do pan and yaw, tilt has no lock and freely rotates. I'm sure any external locking would make the gimbal freak out, like when I try and turn a variable ND with the gimbal powered on.

How are you controlling pan and tilt?  With the Second Shooter or Osmo handle thumb or Go App?   

Thanks for your thoughts .. while that was not exactly what I was referring to, it would be a neat exercise ... do a realtime slider jib pan tilt combo, then hold still for timelapse sundown ...

What I really meant was a way to lock the gimbal in a particular angle, so I could actually use it as "not gimbal" say as static, or on tripod ... (save me from having to carry the FS700/7Q+ around if I wanted RAW.

But ... to answer your question, I am using poke screen to pan/tilt while slider does automated moves.  Usually takes a few takes, and has occasional glitches that do not correspond to motion on the screen ... the real bugger is not being able to pull focus at the same time.

It would be super excellent if this all could be programmed in, keyframe style ...

I'll send a pic or three ..
2017-2-26
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

Funny, I had the exact same thought re: CNC control for every movement ... including focus.  I know with servos you can program them to hit specific points but I'm not sure if a gimbal is same/different???

You should check out what this Russian guy is up to.  http://cosmostreamer.com/  He's hacked the Osmo to get control via a computer.  I emailed him about some specifics about what he was up to and he was quick to respond. Might be worth shooting him an email to see if it's possible.  Imagine being able to set an in point, an out point and speed and the computer tweens the move with ease in, ease out.  That'd be a game changer.
2017-2-26
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Unfortunately there's no solution for this. I've seen one guy on the forum using a 3d printer to print a plastic clamp to fix the position of his x5 camera
2017-2-26
Use props
Mizamook
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-2-26 23:16
Unfortunately there's no solution for this. I've seen one guy on the forum using a 3d printer to print a plastic clamp to fix the position of his x5 camera

Hi .. if you run into that can you post it here please?  I've searched, but apparently the 'bot isn't understanding what I'm asking ...

Thanks!
2017-2-27
Use props
Mizamook
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dr.nick Posted at 2017-2-26 21:49
Funny, I had the exact same thought re: CNC control for every movement ... including focus.  I know with servos you can program them to hit specific points but I'm not sure if a gimbal is same/different???

You should check out what this Russian guy is up to.  http://cosmostreamer.com/  He's hacked the Osmo to get control via a computer.  I emailed him about some specifics about what he was up to and he was quick to respond. Might be worth shooting him an email to see if it's possible.  Imagine being able to set an in point, an out point and speed and the computer tweens the move with ease in, ease out.  That'd be a game changer.

Neat .. I will talk to that guy at some point.  I will take a moment, as I need to formulate how best to express what I need.  For instance, today, I was shooting in a rocky icicly cave behind a frozen waterfall .. the slider carried the Osmo X5R to the left as I panned and tilted up and around .. coming to rest on the mouth of the cave, with a sunflre.  Lucky I was using f22, as I needed it to star out, and the focus was not as critical, but it would be nice to be able to repeat as much as possible!  Then the sun went away and it ceased to matter ...
2017-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules