Has the Compass Calibration Process changed?
1401 22 2017-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kykphantom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

The following pictures show the compass calibration process, step 1 (horizontal) and step 2 (vertical). Please check the step 2 process, it was used to be that the camera should pointing downwards, but in the picture, the camera is pointing sideways - IS THIS CORRECT?

STEP 1

STEP 1

STEP 2

STEP 2
2017-2-23
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

It has always been the same as the picture, horizontal and then vertival.
2017-2-23
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-23 08:17

I believe OP may be right. Old images showed the camera pointing downwards for the second step, which is still the way I calibrate. Example:

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php ... brating_the_Compass

Says:
"3. Hold the aircraft vertically, with nose pointing downward, and rotate  it 360 degrees around the center axis. Recalibrate the compass if the  Aircraft Status Indicator glows solid red."
2017-2-23
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Cyprus

dronist Posted at 2017-2-23 08:17

But can you see the drawing of the second step (vertical)? The nose is pointing sideways, is it correct?
2017-2-23
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-2-23 09:01
I believe OP may be right. Old images showed the camera pointing downwards for the second step, which is still the way I calibrate. Example:

I always calibrated it the same way as the picture, If I was ASKED BY THE APP first!

Maybe it changed with the NEW P4 and P4P???

We might need an input from one of DJI MODS...
2017-2-23
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-2-23 09:01

In the example it point the camera sideways???
2017-2-23
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

kykphantom Posted at 2017-2-23 09:18
But can you see the drawing of the second step (vertical)? The nose is pointing sideways, is it correct?

I always calibrated it the same way as the picture, If I was ASKED BY THE APP first!

We might need an input from one of DJI MODS...
2017-2-23
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-23 11:54

It apparently does not matter because some of us do the vertical calibration with the camera pointing downwards, while others of use have the camera facing to the side/front/back, and calibrations still take. Scary though to think some of us have been doing it "wrong" this whole time! DJI's own instructions and images contradict each other. You could be right though. Perhaps the procedure changed with the P4 series.
2017-2-23
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-2-23 12:27
It apparently does not matter because some of use do the vertical calibration with the camera pointing downwards, while others of use have the camera facing to the side/front/back, and calibrations still take. Scary though to think some of us have been doing it "wrong" this whole time! DJI's own instructions and images contradict each other. You could be right though. Perhaps the procedure changed with the P4 series.

That is why discussions is very beneficial to everyone when we work together and combine our knowledge...
2017-2-23
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-2-23 13:53
That is why discussions is very beneficial to everyone when we work together and combine our knowledge...

True, but I actually didn't think it mattered. So long as it is turned on a horizontal axis and on a vertical axis. Thinking logically, why would the craft care which way it's nose is facing - it's a compass !! Perhaps we're just getting caught up in pictures? Anyway, I'd rather do it with the nose facing down - I don't like the sound of the gimbal when it's 90 degrees on it's side struggling to right itself...
2017-2-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, it's the axis which is determined, not the direction of the camera lens is facing.

But remember also, there are now two, of the items being calibrated.
Perhaps it's important , and significant for which way they are positioned within the drone itself.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-23 14:18
True, but I actually didn't think it mattered. So long as it is turned on a horizontal axis and on a vertical axis. Thinking logically, why would the craft care which way it's nose is facing - it's a compass !! Perhaps we're just getting caught up in pictures? Anyway, I'd rather do it with the nose facing down - I don't like the sound of the gimbal when it's 90 degrees on it's side struggling to right itself...

I agree with your view. Pointing the nose does not affect the calibration, it is the plane of orientation of the body that is important.
2017-2-23
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

I would say that they have just used the same graphic with a 90 degree rotation to illustrate the procedure. It seems clear that the actual orientation is unimportant as long as it it is vertical.
2017-2-23
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

We solved THAT problem and didn't even need DJI to help us! A free beer for everyone (except me, as I do not drink)!
2017-2-23
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-2-23 15:28
We solved THAT problem and didn't even need DJI to help us! A free beer for everyone (except me, as I do not drink)!

That is what I was talking about... together we conquer the drone world one question at a time... {:4_181:}
2017-2-23
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-23 14:18

Come one... Stop being serious and let's celebrate...
2017-2-23
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-23 16:29
That is what I was talking about... together we conquer the drone world one question at a time...

Your wisdom betters us all, my friend.
2017-2-23
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-2-23 17:01
Your wisdom betters us all, my friend.

Another couple of shots (two for me and nothing for you, since you don't drink) and my middle name will be:

The Dronist "Confucius / Plato but No No Trumpo"....
2017-2-23
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-23 17:43
Another couple of shots (two for me and nothing for you, since you don't drink) and my middle name will be:

The Dronist "Confucius / Plato but No No Trumpo"....

Wow! I might have to have a drink too just to get up the nerve to make an attempt at saying your new middle name.
2017-2-24
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-2-24 05:42
Wow! I might have to have a drink too just to get up the nerve to make an attempt at saying your new middle name.

You get an up vote for even thinking about getting a drink...
2017-2-24
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I'm not sure where the antenna for the compass is at.  I thought it was some wire that goes down into the leg but where the actual pickup part is at I don't know.

If it is in the bottom horizontal leg part, then doing the calibration as in the first post puts the compass antenna in the horizontal plane in either the flat or resting on its side position.  Same result either way?

But if it is in the upright vertical leg and not in the bottom horizontal, then it would be calibrated both vertically and horizontally both.  Only difference would be a difference of 90 degrees between camera down and camera on its side and how the software handles it so might be a software correction someplace between the two methods?

Is this for the P4 Pro/P4 Pro +, or the older P4 and when did it change?

I duuno.  Got a headache thinking about it.
2017-2-24
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Cyprus

ANSWER FROM DJI SUPPORT:

Hello,
please do point the unit with the camera facing down.
Basicly it will make no difference for the compass. But it is better for the gimbal to hold downwards.
2017-2-24
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

kykphantom Posted at 2017-2-24 14:00
ANSWER FROM DJI SUPPORT:

Hello,

Thanks for the info.
2017-2-24