Faa commercial use
1576 14 2017-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans191a45ed
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79154 ft
United States

So i have seen that you can be certified for commercial use flying your drone through the faa...has anyone taken these tests here in ma.
2017-2-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You can check this out.
https://drone-registration.net/massachusetts-drone-registration/

RedHotPoker
2017-2-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha fans191,

Look for references to Part 107.  The certification is for drones in excess of 5.5 pounds.  This means you can fly the Inspire, Matrice, Spreading Wings, etc.  It also covers the smaller drones like the Phantoms.  The FAA is working on the sub Part 107 regulations presently, but it may take a year or more.  That test will be much easier.  

The Part 107 test includes the piloting exam but without the manned flight and internal combustion engine requirements.  So, there is a lot that you will have to learn.  But if you like maps, weather reports, knowing airspace classifications and talking to air traffic controllers; the studying for the test will be fun as well as challenging.  You should look into it.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-23
Use props
mtnlandpix
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I am new to the forum.  Just got my part 107 Certificate.  Wasn't too difficult.  I purchased an on-line test prep course.  I am in NC and also had to take a NCDOT drone test also for my state license.
2017-2-23
Use props
MassDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 894642 ft
United States

I'm a MA resident. Also a private pilot with ~25 years flying experience. Here's my experience with getting a Part 107 certificate:

I took the FAA's online course and exam July last year. Start to finish, it took about 2 hours one evening and cost nothing. That earned me a PDF certificate to print and save. In late September, the new FAA law became effective. I went to the local FAA office and presented my certificate and my pilots logbook showing that I was 'current' as a pilot. I walked out 30 minutes later with a temporary paper certificate, and a laminated commercial UAS pilots license came in the mail about 6 weeks later. It looks a lot like my regular pilot's license, except it's new and shiny.
2017-2-23
Use props
WInged Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077618 ft
  • >>>
United States

I took the written test 2 weeks ago (92%) I have a downloaded temporary certificate and am waiting for the actual one in the mail. I had no previous experience or knowledge.

The FAA has a study guide, sample test questions and all kinds of other useful stuff online that's free, I used these. I also bought a $20 study guide published by ASA which was a great help, it included six online practice tests that seemed to have actual questions from the test pool I would reccomend it. You can buy it discounted on Amazon.

2017-3-1
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

MassDrone Posted at 2017-2-23 19:13
I'm a MA resident. Also a private pilot with ~25 years flying experience. Here's my experience with getting a Part 107 certificate:

I took the FAA's online course and exam July last year. Start to finish, it took about 2 hours one evening and cost nothing. That earned me a PDF certificate to print and save. In late September, the new FAA law became effective. I went to the local FAA office and presented my certificate and my pilots logbook showing that I was 'current' as a pilot. I walked out 30 minutes later with a temporary paper certificate, and a laminated commercial UAS pilots license came in the mail about 6 weeks later. It looks a lot like my regular pilot's license, except it's new and shiny.

So what's your point? Chest pounding?
2017-3-1
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-2-23 18:07
I am new to the forum.  Just got my part 107 Certificate.  Wasn't too difficult.  I purchased an on-line test prep course.  I am in NC and also had to take a NCDOT drone test also for my state license.

Gratz! WTG
2017-3-1
Use props
MassDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 894642 ft
United States

m1shootr Posted at 2017-3-1 16:10
So what's your point? Chest pounding?

No, not chest pounding. The point I was making is that there are many different possible pathways to getting a Part 107 license; some are hard and some are not. That's all.
2017-3-1
Use props
tokenbrit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-23 16:03
Aloha fans191,

Look for references to Part 107.  The certification is for drones in excess of 5.5 pounds.  This means you can fly the Inspire, Matrice, Spreading Wings, etc.  It also covers the smaller drones like the Phantoms.  The FAA is working on the sub Part 107 regulations presently, but it may take a year or more.  That test will be much easier.  

Am I right in saying that you are OK to use lighter drones like the Phantom, Mavic for commercial use, provided you comply with the same set of regulations in Part 107 that apply for recreational use?
2017-3-13
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

tokenbrit Posted at 2017-3-13 08:31
Am I right in saying that you are OK to use lighter drones like the Phantom, Mavic for commercial use, provided you comply with the same set of regulations in Part 107 that apply for recreational use?

Aloha tokenbrit,

No, that would not be the case.  In order to use the Mavic or Phantoms for commercial use, you would have to be Part 107 certified.  Recreational use rules and regulations are not for commercial purposes in any way shape or form.  The recreational regulations are for hobbyist use and have no application to commercial use.

The FAA is working on sub-Part 107 commercial regulations for UAVs lighter than 5.5 lbs.  There will be a new and different commercial certification process for Mavic and Phantom class UAVs.  Right now Part 107 commercial certification allows the use of Mavics and Phantoms for commercial purposes.  The certification demonstrates understanding of the regulations for commercial operations of UAVs up to 55 lbs.  The current Part 107 rules and regulations allow UAV up to 55 lbs to be used for commercial operations.  So if you want to operate commercially at this time, you would have to be Part 107 certified.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

tokenbrit Posted at 2017-3-13 08:31

Here's the info you need to read:  https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/
2017-3-13
Use props
tokenbrit
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-13 14:42
Aloha tokenbrit,

No, that would not be the case.  In order to use the Mavic or Phantoms for commercial use, you would have to be Part 107 certified.  Recreational use rules and regulations are not for commercial purposes in any way shape or form.  The recreational regulations are for hobbyist use and have no application to commercial use.

Thank you!
2017-3-13
Use props
tokenbrit
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-13 14:42
Aloha tokenbrit,

Thank you!
2017-3-13
Use props
tokenbrit
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-13 14:54
Here's the info you need to read:  https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/

Thank you!
2017-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules