User Poll--Which Editing Software Do You Use?
2055 17 2017-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Roubaix
New

United States

Hello All--

I owned a Phantom before my Mavic.  I have been making little home movies with the drones and action cameras for a few years now.  I have always used Windows Moviemaker, the free movie editing software that comes with Windows, along with the GoPro video editing package.  It has been a good combination for my purposes.

Lately I have found a desire to step-up my video editing game a little bit.   I want to do things (like split screen) that are not possible in Moviemaker or the GoPro software.

In an attempt to do some more robust video editing I purchased VSDC editor (paid version, there is a free version, as well).  It was fairly affordable and had good reviews.  It also allows me to do some of the editing tricks I am interested in.  Unfortunately, I have found that VSDC editor has difficulty handling the Mavic footage.  Mavic footage that comes from the VSDC editor tends to be choppy, especially when I speed it up, something I have really taken to lately.  Speeding up the footage results in a really nice effect.  Ironically, the free Moviemaker does a much better job of handling the Mavic footage.

In looking around on the internet I see that this issue (choppy footage) is common and it seems that even some of the premium software packages (Adobe Premiere) also seem to have trouble handling some of the footage.  I have read up on and experimented with CODEC's, containers, rendering and computer performance issues along the way.  But the fact that Moviemaker (the free default program) seems to beautifully and effortlessly handle these files suggests to me that the bottom line issue is really about the editing software.

So, fellow Mavic users, what software do you use?  What software works best for you?  Please advise.

--Thank You, Roubaix

P.S. and F.Y.I, my computer has the following specs:
Windows 10
Processor: AMD A8-6500 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphic
3.5 GHz
RAM:  8.00 GB (7.19 usable)

System Type: 64-bit Operating System x64
2017-2-23
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Wondershare Filmora

Intel Motherboard w/ 2 x XEON quadcore CPUs
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
8gb RAM
SSD
Radeon RX460
2017-2-23
Use props
Phlashster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23537 ft
United Kingdom

I have been trialing Corel VideoStudio X10 and it seems to cope with 4k from Mavic very well.
2017-2-23
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

I was using a PC with Premier, now im on a Mac with final cut pro X.
2017-2-23
Use props
tellus1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105551 ft
Australia

I use premiere pro cc
2017-2-23
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

My home PC has very similar specs to yours. I started out using Davinci Resolve 12.5 (free) when I was shooting 1080p video but the 4K from the Mavic didn't work so well so I switched to PowerDirector 15 and have gotten great results.
2017-2-23
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Premiere Pro CC on an iMac.
2017-2-23
Use props
VVs7gxF8qEs5
lvl.1
Germany

I use Blackmagic Davinici Resolve 12.5
2017-2-23
Use props
WInged Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077618 ft
  • >>>
United States

Premiere Pro CC (2017) Dual Quad Xeon, 48 GB memory, SSD system Drive, SSD content drive, SSD cache drive, Nvidia GTX 1070 - Windows 10.

4K video works fine.
2017-2-23
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

Started with iMovie, before trialling FCPX. The one month trial period has just ended so I've entered into negotiations with myself about what would be a very expensive upgrade.
2017-2-23
Use props
Turkk71
lvl.2
United States

FCPX, MacBook Pro
2017-2-23
Use props
SkySailorMan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2170768 ft
United States

Ditto...MacBook Pro with FCPX.
2017-2-23
Use props
Qoncussion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31867 ft
United States

Long time Vegas Pro user here. They also offer a less expensive version, "Vegas Movie Studio".
2017-2-24
Use props
SteelFlyer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 286076 ft
United States

Premiere Pro CC.  The choppy video is more related to computer specs than the software.  4K video takes a huge amount of system resources and many computers just can't handle it well.
2017-2-24
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Lesser specced PC's can't handle the data rates of UHD but most programs allow editing to be previewed at a lower resolution during the edit. Once edited your footage should look fine when exported back in the original resolution although rendering times will be substantially lengthened.
2017-2-24
Use props
The Doctor11
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1180322 ft
United States

I use Adobe Premiere.
2017-2-24
Use props
Quadcoptercrazy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1013038 ft
United States

Sony Vegas Pro 14, and wondershare filmora  on a PC I got for free from the company I used to work for, they shut down so they gave me my computer.
2017-2-24
Use props
Scunna
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Gopro studio (free) and wondershare Filmora.
2017-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules