Pilot error ?
2852 18 2017-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

I have finally recieved an answer from DJA support regarding an accident with my Mavic that happened in the beginning of january. I have paid for the repair and its sendt back to me.
But I have been reluctant to fly until I got an plausible explanation on the cause of this crash. DJI support analyses of the DAT files and fight recordings has concluded this is an pilot error and therefore not a warranty case. Here is the final answer by DJI support.

" Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.
Upon reviewing the flight analysis data and shows that it was pilot controlled situation. Due to the 1.5m/s speed of the mavic it will tilt forward when the pitch stick is pushed forward and when the rudder was pushed to the left the mavic will spiral downward which caused the mavic to crash.
Hope this is of help in describing the cause of the crashed based on the flight analysis data ".

I dont get it. The Mavic was in beginnermode . Alttiude 8 meter. Open field. No wind. Slow speed 1.5 m/s. Forward pitch 82%. Left rudder 32%.
The drone suddely went bananas and plunged to the ground in the last 2 seconds. No  responce between AC and RC  and stick in neutral position the last 2 seconds.

I would relly appreciate your comments on this matter.

A prevous tread has been posted on the forum a few weeks ago.
HealtyDrones

My DJI Mavick went from Beginner mode to Kamikaze mode.

2017-2-24
Use props
n0gga
lvl.2
Flight distance : 502044 ft
Norway

It depends whether or not you crashed into an obstacle.
2017-2-24
Use props
n0gga
lvl.2
Norway

Couldn`t edit the post above, hence the new post;

In case of no obstacles, it doesen`t seem like pilot error to me. No obvious reason for it to descend.
2017-2-24
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Norway

n0gga Posted at 2017-2-24 02:49
Couldn`t edit the post above, hence the new post;

In case of no obstacles, it doesen`t seem like pilot error to me. No obvious reason for it to descend.

No obstacles at all.
2017-2-24
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Norway

Im very confused by DJIs comment on the stick movement.  I think its far-fetched to think this the real cause of this crazy behavior .
2017-2-24
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Please provide me your case number, we'll look into the details, thanks.
2017-2-24
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Norway

Thank you Natalia.
CAS-400502-P3P5K4
2017-2-24
Use props
n0gga
lvl.2
Norway

I'm going to come clean here DJI;
I've read through the OP's last thread about this crash, and I'm getting real fed up by the ignorance shown by the DJI staff, especially in this case.
Obviously i don't know whether or not the Mavic crashed into an obstacle, but neither do you guys. Don't you ever consider giving your valued customers the benefit of the doubt when it comes to cases like theese? I'm quite honest SHOCKED about the threatment this customer has been given. 500 euros for shipping and VAT, when the repair itself costs 275 euros? Jesus.
And the fact that everyone of DJI staff intentionally stays away from the thread, so that the OP has to stay in the dark in this case. Otherwise I see all of you writing and participating in threads all over the forum.

Being from the same country as the OP, I'm seriously considering to cancel my Mavic order - just because i'm terrified og getting a defective drone. I don't ever want anything to do with DJI support. I think a lot of people can "+1" that one.
2017-2-24
Use props
tokenbrit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

n0gga Posted at 2017-2-24 03:58
I'm going to come clean here DJI;
I've read through the OP's last thread about this crash, and I'm getting real fed up by the ignorance shown by the DJI staff, especially in this case.
Obviously i don't know whether or not the Mavic crashed into an obstacle, but neither do you guys. Don't you ever consider giving your valued customers the benefit of the doubt when it comes to cases like theese? I'm quite honest SHOCKED about the threatment this customer has been given. 500 euros for shipping and VAT, when the repair itself costs 275 euros? Jesus.

The satellite image indicates there were trees in the area. The drone probably hit something, possibly a bird - who knows for sure without video?  

There are obviously risks to flying drones and you need to accept before buying  that there's a real possibility you will crash or even lose your drone. That said, the DJI drones are very well designed to minimize this risk.

Warranty covers technical failure and you can additionally purchase DJI care to cover any  accidental damage   - including damage  incurred from  collisions with  trees or birds.
2017-2-24
Use props
n0gga
lvl.2
Norway

tokenbrit Posted at 2017-2-24 05:21
The satellite image indicates there were trees in the area. The drone probably hit something, possibly a bird - who knows for sure without video?  

There are obviously risks to flying drones and you need to accept before buying  that there's a real possibility you will crash or even lose your drone. That said, the DJI drones are very well designed to minimize this risk.

If you read the first thread, the OP is clearly claiming his innocense in this case, as he refuses that there had been a collision with a tree (or whatever). The drone simply plummeted to the ground.
As said, i can't bring any evidence to this case, but its simply the arrogance of DJI's absence in the thread. Not entirely comfortable with their so called technical analysis either.

I have no problem accepting the risks of owning a drone, I'm just simply not impressed by the way they are handling their customers in need of repair and/or with warranty claims.
FYI, Care Refresh isn't available in Norway.
2017-2-24
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

The data from DJI doesn't make sense about operator input causing the craft to spiral into the ground based on the data posted here. Things first get a bit odd at 2:04 when the gimble slider suddenly starts to show massive gimble angle changes, then a motor obstruction warning at 2:07 with a altitude reading at -50 meters from launch.  Then a final altitude reading indicating -231 meters from launch but the craft is only 16.5 meters from the launch point in what appears to be a fairly level field.

I'm no expert but it looks like either a massive system failure due to internal fault or one hell of a bird strike given the data available in this post.
2017-2-24
Use props
tokenbrit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

Jdwyier Posted at 2017-2-24 07:07
The data from DJI doesn't make sense about operator input causing the craft to spiral into the ground based on the data posted here. Things first get a bit odd at 2:04 when the gimble slider suddenly starts to show massive gimble angle changes, then a motor obstruction warning at 2:07 with a altitude reading at -50 meters from launch.  Then a final altitude reading indicating -231 meters from launch but the craft is only 16.5 meters from the launch point in what appears to be a fairly level field.

I'm no expert but it looks like either a massive system failure due to internal fault or one hell of a bird strike given the data available in this post.

Maybe at 2:04 the gimble clipped a branch creating the massive angle changes and then maybe, at 2:07 the props clipped a branch causing the a motor obstruction warning causing the props to stop and maybe on it's descent, the craft spiraled into the ground, flipped on it's back causing it to miscalculate it's altitude in a millisecond. That makes more sense to me - but I'm guessing without video footage.
2017-2-24
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Norway

Hi  Thanks for the suggestions. To clarify a few things. The drone hit the ground at 2.06. Turned belly up and the motors still spinning a few seconds moving it sideways. The negative altitude is probably due to the impact. The warnings came after the crash. Thanks. And one important thing is that the nearest branch ( tree) is 10 meters away from the crash site. No birds in the aerea. Im not looking for a refund of the already paid repair, but your opinion on what might have caused the  accident. As I have said before I find the explanation from dji not trustworhty
2017-2-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

" Upon reviewing the flight analysis data and shows that it was pilot controlled situation. Due to the 1.5m/s speed of the mavic it will tilt forward when the pitch stick is pushed forward and when the rudder was pushed to the left the mavic will spiral downward which caused the mavic to crash. "

Stick forward causes a climb, not a drop in altitude.  Their scenario should see a spiraling climb, not an auger into the ground.  What's missing here?
2017-2-24
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

fansc2962bbc Posted at 2017-2-24 09:20
Hi  Thanks for the suggestions. To clarify a few things. The drone hit the ground at 2.06. Turned belly up and the motors still spinning a few seconds moving it sideways. The negative altitude is probably due to the impact. The warnings came after the crash. Thanks. And one important thing is that the nearest branch ( tree) is 10 meters away from the crash site. No birds in the aerea. Im not looking for a refund of the already paid repair, but your opinion on what might have caused the  accident. As I have said before I find the explanation from dji not trustworhty

Sorry about the confusion, I'll escalate the issue and you should receive a response soon.
2017-2-24
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-2-24 18:56
" Upon reviewing the flight analysis data and shows that it was pilot controlled situation. Due to the 1.5m/s speed of the mavic it will tilt forward when the pitch stick is pushed forward and when the rudder was pushed to the left the mavic will spiral downward which caused the mavic to crash. "

Stick forward causes a climb, not a drop in altitude.  Their scenario should see a spiraling climb, not an auger into the ground.  What's missing here?

Not quite correct if you are flying Mode 2 which it seems to me that you were. The right stick was almost full forward for most of the flight which is moving forward. Your left stick is for climb (power when the stick is moved forward) and the left stick did not show a climb nor did the drone gain altitude. From my observation, you were flying forward and then did a skidding turn and the drone descended quickly.  Something caused the rapid descent like a motor or blade stalled which would cause it to fall and turn upside down.
2017-2-24
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Sweden

Yes thats right . Mode 2 . Right stick forward 82% . Left stick 32 % left. In this low speed its not plausible to spiral down uncontrolled and crash i think. I agree. Could have been som problem with one motor
or gyro. I really dont know.
2017-2-25
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-2-24 20:58
Not quite correct if you are flying Mode 2 which it seems to me that you were. The right stick was almost full forward for most of the flight which is moving forward. Your left stick is for climb (power when the stick is moved forward) and the left stick did not show a climb nor did the drone gain altitude. From my observation, you were flying forward and then did a skidding turn and the drone descended quickly.  Something caused the rapid descent like a motor or blade stalled which would cause it to fall and turn upside down.

Sorry, my interpretation of what he said was that he was 82% left stick, which would be a climb.  Obviously not.
2017-2-25
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-2-24 20:58

Sorry, my interpretation of what he said was that he was 82% left stick, which would be a climb.  Obviously not.
2017-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules