785 7 2017-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

#1  First and foremost,  I don't have the range provided by my P4.  Tried auto and manual for both 2.4 and 5.8.  Flown side by side the video and control drop out about 500 meters before my P4.  Completly disappointed considering the 4.3 mile range claimed.  I'm getting 2500 meters on the P4P and 3000 on the old P4.  I also have the Mavic and it's range is much better than both the P4 and the P4P.   I purchased for better pics and longer range.  Got one of the two I guess.

#2 There has been a horizon issue now for 3 months or more that isn't receiving any attention as far as I know.  When banking far right the gimbal makes all kinds of noise with an end result being a crooked horizon.  During the maiden flight I had to constantly adjust my horizon.  During video shots when doing a slow rotate, the horizon looks like a see-saw.  

#3 Bogus high wind warnings are constant when there is no or little wind.  (Also an issue on the Mavic)

#4 Love the bright screen.

#5 Easy to setup and fly quickly with the P+ transmitter.

#6 No third party apps with the P+.  Knew this going in and planning to buy a refurb P4P standard transmitter so I can switch back and forth.

#7 Not real comfortable with the RTH functionailty.  Flys home askew everytime.  One motor leading the way rather than two, rather than an X it looks more like a '+' returning to home.  

#8 Takes much longer to obtain a GPS lock than the P4.

Going back out now for flight #2.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flight #2 (after the latest patch today)

#8 GPS lock was much quicker this time.  Even restarted to double check, good to go there.

#2 Yeah, the crooked horizon thing is baaaaaad.   Took off and did nothing but climb - no forward or side to side motion.  Stopped at 250ft.  Started taking sunset pics.  By the third pic I had to adjust my horizon.  I could just sit there and watch it go out of horizontal.    Over about 15 pics I was required to make 3 horizon adjustments.  Also has this weird twitch occasionally.  Never a problem on the P4

#7 still an issue.  Tried RTH from several directions with same result.  

Pics and video are great! (except for the tilted horizon thing.)  

Final thoughts - If you're thinking of buying a P4P, don't.  I would give it a few more months to work out the kinks first.  The very essence of the machine is for pics and video; with the tilted horizon issue pics are hard, moving video with the horizon visible - forget it.    I'll recalibrate tomorrow and retest to see if I have any better results.  

2017-2-24
Use props
TB12GOAT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47172 ft
United States

For #6, what are the advantages of 3rd party apps?
2017-2-24
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

TB12GOAT Posted at 2017-2-24 14:44

Automated flight and 3D mapping are two examples but there are others too.  
2017-2-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Number 7 sounds like IMU problem.
2017-2-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

TB12GOAT Posted at 2017-2-24 14:44

Apps like litchi have very good auto pilot mission flying which on the face of it look much easier to fly than dji auto pilot app GS.
2017-2-24
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-24 15:17
Number 7 sounds like IMU problem.

Yeah, I was thinking that.  Going to recalibrate tomorrow and try again.  Will report back.
2017-2-24
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Two consecutive pics taken with within seconds demostrates the tilted horizon issue.  (I killed the resoulution to reduce file size.)

Pic 2

Pic 2

Pic 1

Pic 1
2017-2-24
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Well, after calibrating and retesting not much has changed.  The tilted horizon issue is so bad I get about 1 good pic out of 20.  Video with the horizon in view is simply useless.  Considering that DJI products are continued to be released before they are ready, logistics issues and lack of communication concerning the status of existing issues, I can say I have made my last DJI purchase.   

Moving to another brand today.  Picking up something a little more 'unique' on the way home.
2017-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules