Store logs and cache on SD Card in Android?
5115 17 2017-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tundrwd
lvl.2
United States

I want to keep the logs and cache, but need to get them to store on the SD card.

Running Android 4.4.2, so making the SD card part of the total storage is not an option.  Not available until 6.0, and no ROMs available to put on the rooted device to upgrade it.  One of the BIG issues with Android.

Anyway - is there some option I'm missing that allows me to store this info onto my SD card?
2017-2-25
Use props
tundrwd
lvl.2
United States

Or - does anyone know if Link2SD would work WITHOUT creating errors for DJI Go?  
2017-2-25
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Cant answer your question, but wanted to give some info. If your syncing your logs with DJI than any device with a Go app will also have the logs when synced. And what do you mean be "cache", you mean the pic and videos?
2017-3-5
Use props
Tom24nh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 174239 ft
United States

Try Airdroid app, connect the phone to your computer and you can copy and move files.
2017-3-7
Use props
tundrwd
lvl.2
United States

Wasn't using an Android phone, using a Galaxy Tab 4 tablet.  8GB of memory, nearly half taken up with system files, etc. - even after "deodexing" what I reasonably could from the OS.  Having only 4GB (or thereabouts) remaining, wasn't much.  So, trying to have the videos/pics cached on the device didn't go too far, and didn't want the cache to self-clean, etc.  Part of this due to many discussions about "drone lost", and the usefulness of having not only the log, but the video at times in finding the drone.

Had an old iPad 3 which was getting long in the tooth, and couldn't update to iOS 10, and wouldn't run DJI Go 4, so I've "jumped the shark".   I wanted an updated iPad, etc.  Thought about an iPad mini 4, but it's much slower in response to the iPad Pro.  Best Buy had an iPad Pro 9.7 with 128GB of memory for the same price as a 64GB model - so got it.  Now no memory worries.  It seems that DJI is more attuned to releasing DJI Go sooner/more frequently on iOS than on Android (so far).

Some of you will be chiding me to "wait" for the new iPad release - probably early April.  I've thought about it for several months, reviewed release schedules, etc., watched the rumor mills, and made my decision.  I believe that the new iPad Pro 9.7 will be a "lesser" model than it is currently (lower memory/processor?), and will effectively be replaced by the Pro 10.5" instead (at current 9.7 prices).  Doubt that they will change the memory storage much, so the current sale price seemed to be the better deal.  And the iPad minis have a fall release schedule, so a new one probably won't appear until later this year - in time for the holidays.

So - my problem is solved for the time being.
2017-3-16
Use props
tundrwd
lvl.2
United States

Tom24nh Posted at 2017-3-7 13:03
Try Airdroid app, connect the phone to your computer and you can copy and move files.

Not a phone, and I'm trying to not lug around more than I have to when in the field.  With 3-4 batteries, I can go through the amount of memory left over on my tablet fairly quickly - about 2 flights.
2017-3-16
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

Is there really no way to set this up in the dji go app??
the storage on my phone is pretty full, so i want the cache (video and photo) on my SD card (plenty of room!)
2017-6-20
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

tundrwd Posted at 2017-3-16 06:40
Not a phone, and I'm trying to not lug around more than I have to when in the field.  With 3-4 batteries, I can go through the amount of memory left over on my tablet fairly quickly - about 2 flights.

before entering the device in DJI GO 4, click on the three lines un top right corner, then select "flight record". You will see the list of your flights, and above, in the top right corner, a small cloud icon. With that you can upload all your flight records to your accounts' Cloud, and even if you delete them from the cache, they will always be available for re-downloading to any tablet/phone where you have the App. Also, in the cache you only have low resolution videos, not the originals, which are in the SD card. BTW, the same low resolution videos are also stored in the SD card, in a different directory. (in Windows-based computers this other directory might be "hidden", though, but there are ways to make it visible. I use a MacBookPro, and they show when I open the SD card from the computer:

When I open the SD card on my MBP, it shows two directories,
/DCIM
and
/MISC

then:

/DCIM/100MEDIA (where you find pics and full resolution videos)

and:

/MISC/IDX
/MISC/LOG
/MISC/THM/100 (where you can find a copy of videos in lower resolution)
/MISC/XCODE
/DCIM/100MEDIA

Hope this helps
2017-6-20
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Denmark

BadBert Posted at 2017-6-20 00:03
Is there really no way to set this up in the dji go app??
the storage on my phone is pretty full, so i want the cache (video and photo) on my SD card (plenty of room!)

See my answer to tundrwd, hope it is what you are looking for
2017-6-20
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Netherlands

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-6-20 01:00
See my answer to tundrwd, hope it is what you are looking for

Not exactly what i am looking for...
i dont want to upload to cloud based stuff for this.

and i want the video's to stay on my phone (but the SD card that is in the phone)

I understand that if the app olny stores small files, it stores them on the internal memory of the phone, but i f it stores more and bigger files, the user should be able to chose WHERE to store them ;)
2017-6-20
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Denmark

BadBert Posted at 2017-6-20 01:17
Not exactly what i am looking for...
i dont want to upload to cloud based stuff for this.

Then I suppose you can download the low-res videos from /MISC/THM/100  in the Aircraft SD card and transfer them to your phone SD card, and then flush the cache in the App. I don't think there are other possibilities.
2017-6-20
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Netherlands

that's also not the solution i am looking for.
I want to have what now is on my internal memory, directly on the sd card, automaticly.... so the app does NOT put anything (photo/video) on the internal memory of the phone.

i fount with root you can get this done:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2192122

but i don't know if i want to root.... (but maybe i will)

again, the app should have the possibility to change the storage location....
2017-6-20
Use props
Argentcove
New
United States

BadBert Posted at 2017-6-20 22:37
that's also not the solution i am looking for.
I want to have what now is on my internal memory, directly on the sd card, automaticly.... so the app does NOT put anything (photo/video) on the internal memory of the phone.

I tried this on my cheap little 8GB LG phone that keeps running out of memory and restarting. I mapped the image and video folders to the external SD card it and caused errors. I have not tried mapping the entire DJI application folder yet. That's next.
2017-7-10
Use props
Argentcove
New
United States

Argentcove Posted at 2017-7-10 20:00
I tried this on my cheap little 8GB LG phone that keeps running out of memory and restarting. I mapped the image and video folders to the external SD card it and caused errors. I have not tried mapping the entire DJI application folder yet. That's next.

No luck mapping the entire DJI folder either. I don't see a good way to do this other than DJI just building the functionality into the app.
2017-7-10
Use props
SpikeHawk
New

Greece

cant answet this yet
2017-7-11
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Netherlands

damn, so no need for me to root my phone then

cmon DJI.... add this function to the android app!!!
2017-7-12
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Has DJI made any comments or acknowledged this request anywhere?   I've got the same problem.  I love being able to go into the flight logs of the DJI Go 4 app and see my pics and videos all right there (albeit in 1080p).   However, my phone fills up fast.   I can direct the regular camera on the phone to store pics on my external micro SD card, so why can't Go 4 offer the same option?

LP
2017-7-20
Use props
dcap
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

SD card cache now available in new go4 app 4.1.4
2017-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now