Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Who likes flying 1 - 3 feet above the water while circling a bridge?
1825 31 2017-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136273 ft
United States

https://instagram.com/p/BQbrUfLjzt8/
2017-2-27
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

2017-2-27
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

That clearly didn't work. You can watch it on Instagram. I'm new here. Sorry all.
2017-2-27
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

And it's clearly not 1-3 feet above the water. But yes they are great at holding a steady altitude
2017-2-27
Use props
BlueMan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 73087 ft
Canada

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-2-27 02:58
And it's clearly not 1-3 feet above the water. But yes they are great at holding a steady altitude

lol yea not even close to 2ft above the water. that is more like 10+
2017-2-27
Use props
BlueMan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 73087 ft
Canada

huge LOL man. first you lie about the height above the water but then also you bought all your IG followers. you paid for 24k followers but yet your posts only get like 40 likes
2017-2-27
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-2-27 02:58

It is nearly touching the water at times.
2017-2-27
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

BlueMan Posted at 2017-2-27 06:29
lol yea not even close to 2ft above the water. that is more like 10+

No, It is much lower than 10 feet. I nearly touch the water at times.
2017-2-27
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

BlueMan Posted at 2017-2-27 06:30
huge LOL man. first you lie about the height above the water but then also you bought all your IG followers. you paid for 24k followers but yet your posts only get like 40 likes

I never paid for anything. Not the case, but I appreciate your opinion. That's an older account. I have others that get much more interaction.
2017-2-27
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

Remember that you are watching on video. The point of view is a little different. I am probably 30 feet away. Thanks for the comments.
2017-2-27
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

Do you guys have any videos of you flying your Drone over water while doing circles around a very low bridge?
2017-2-27
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

TheDennisWagner Posted at 2017-2-27 12:56
Do you guys have any videos of you flying your Drone over water while doing circles around a very low bridge?

Nope, It makes for a horribly boring video.
2017-2-27
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

HWCM Posted at 2017-2-27 21:11
Nope, It makes for a horribly boring video.

Some love it, some hate it. I'm kinda in the middle. I would much rather be flying near a nice waterfall or a cool mountain range. I was just wondering if anyone else does it.
2017-2-27
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

TheDennisWagner Posted at 2017-2-27 21:23
Some love it, some hate it. I'm kinda in the middle. I would much rather be flying near a nice waterfall or a cool mountain range. I was just wondering if anyone else does it.

I fly my drone around bridges all the time, in fact, that is the precise purpose for which I bought it.
2017-2-27
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56 ft
United States

Yeah man, I'm in the camp as the other. There's no reason to do it. In fact, you're creating more risks than anything else for yourself. From what I saw,  you were 6-10ft off the water, not 1-3 ft.  But hey, it's your drone. You fly however, you want to fly. Have fun.
2017-2-28
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

I enjoyed your video. You need to work on some post processing, but I like how you didn't fly over the bridge! It would be cool to get a panoramic shot from eithe side of the bridge to go along with your video from underneath.
2017-2-28
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

BlueMan Posted at 2017-2-27 06:30

Lol i also have 20k followers on Twitter and not many Re-Tweet, just because someone has lots of Subs/Followers doesn't mean he has to have that same amount of number as interactions eg. Comments, Likes etc.
2017-2-28
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-27 22:26
I fly my drone around bridges all the time, in fact, that is the precise purpose for which I bought it.

That is very cool. Do you have any videos?
2017-3-1
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

Blackbeagle Posted at 2017-2-28 11:25
Yeah man, I'm in the camp as the other. There's no reason to do it. In fact, you're creating more risks than anything else for yourself. From what I saw,  you were 6-10ft off the water, not 1-3 ft.  But hey, it's your drone. You fly however, you want to fly. Have fun.

The bridge is only 15 feet above the water. Then the trusses hang down 3 feet underneath. That only leaves about 12 feet. Normally. We measured it when towing a double decker boat down river. If it rains a lot it is much less. In dry season it is more. The big bridge is 400 feet from the water to the surface. I have touched the water a few times with my landing gear, and you are correct. It creates a big risk. I fly em like I stole em. I don't care if they crash as long as nobody else can possibly get hurt. They make new Drones everyday. Just costs a few dollars.

Thanks for the comment.
2017-3-1
Use props
Adam Flurk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

I love flying above the water. This video is only a feet feet above the surface:
2017-3-1
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

Maxxgold Posted at 2017-2-28 12:00
I enjoyed your video. You need to work on some post processing, but I like how you didn't fly over the bridge! It would be cool to get a panoramic shot from eithe side of the bridge to go along with your video from underneath.

Thanks! the video took about 2 minutes to edit and post so quality was definitely not a concern at the time. I have tons of pics and unedited video of that bridge and many others. I need to start editing some of it, but I don't really have the time. It's a pretty cool feeling when you watch your landing gear drag the waters surface. I need to put my pontoons on the Drone and make a cool video.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what resolution to film in? I have been playing with it and cannot get it right. When I do live streaming I have 3rd part apps that make it crystal clear, but when recording in the DJI GO App it looks rough. Any recommendations on editing software would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for the comment.
2017-3-1
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

TheDennisWagner Posted at 2017-3-1 18:05
That is very cool. Do you have any videos?

Yeah, but I don't publish them, I like my privacy.
2017-3-1
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

Ange1walk Posted at 2017-2-28 12:10
Lol i also have 20k followers on Twitter and not many Re-Tweet, just because someone has lots of Subs/Followers doesn't mean he has to have that same amount of number as interactions eg. Comments, Likes etc.

You're right. Some people just don't interact on some social media platforms. Others they frequent and blow it up on. I have about 51,000 followers on my main Twitter account, and I get probably 6-10,000 interactions per day on Twitter. I'd say that's pretty good according to all of the metrics available. It put's me in the top 1% in the country as far as interaction conversions, but Instagram is a different story. I post mainly motivational stuff. Maybe not everyone isn't into it. That's cool. I don't care. Plus I have multiple company accounts that are my main focus. They pay the bills.
2017-3-1
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

Adam Flurk Posted at 2017-3-1 18:22
I love flying above the water. This video is only a feet feet above the surface: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=eyaZ_eJ5Mwg

That is very cool. Well done! Love the fountain as a point of interest.

Do you mind if I ask what your resolution settings are in the DJI GO App? and what you use to edit your videos? Mine look pretty bad compared to this.
2017-3-1
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-1 18:27
Yeah, but I don't publish them, I like my privacy.

I totally understand. Have fun and best wishes!
2017-3-1
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
United States

TheDennisWagner Posted at 2017-3-1 18:24
Thanks! the video took about 2 minutes to edit and post so quality was definitely not a concern at the time. I have tons of pics and unedited video of that bridge and many others. I need to start editing some of it, but I don't really have the time. It's a pretty cool feeling when you watch your landing gear drag the waters surface. I need to put my pontoons on the Drone and make a cool video.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what resolution to film in? I have been playing with it and cannot get it right. When I do live streaming I have 3rd part apps that make it crystal clear, but when recording in the DJI GO App it looks rough. Any recommendations on editing software would be appreciated as well.

I have already told you how to get better resolution videos. Read my posts.
2017-3-1
Use props
HWCM
lvl.4
United States

The video on your app is not what you want to use in editing. You need to pull the SD card out and pull the videos off of it. That is where the high resolution and 4k videos are. The saved video on your tablet or phone, is mostly for a preview and very low quality.

Also, avoid flying into the sun, it overloads the sensor and washes out the entire scene. Fly at a different time of day or with the sun behind you. If you must fly with the sun in front of you, tilt your camera down and adjust your camera speed. Try turning the ISO down and get a ND filter.....or just fly at a different time of day.
2017-3-1
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

HWCM Posted at 2017-3-1 23:29
The video on your app is not what you want to use in editing. You need to pull the SD card out and pull the videos off of it. That is where the high resolution and 4k videos are. The saved video on your tablet or phone, is mostly for a preview and very low quality.

Also, avoid flying into the sun, it overloads the sensor and washes out the entire scene. Fly at a different time of day or with the sun behind you. If you must fly with the sun in front of you, tilt your camera down and adjust your camera speed. Try turning the ISO down and get a ND filter.....or just fly at a different time of day.

I have a set of ND filters  and a Polarizing lens. Do you have a favorite that you use? The sun does really do a number on the quality. I will pull the SD card when making my next video.

Thanks!
2017-3-2
Use props
Adam Flurk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

TheDennisWagner Posted at 2017-3-1 18:42
That is very cool. Well done! Love the fountain as a point of interest.

Do you mind if I ask what your resolution settings are in the DJI GO App? and what you use to edit your videos? Mine look pretty bad compared to this.

Thanks! I typically do video in 4K @30fps. I color-grade and process / edit in Adobe Premier.
2017-3-2
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

RE: Who likes flying only a few feet above the water while circling a bridge?

Adam Flurk Posted at 2017-3-2 11:41
Thanks! I typically do video in 4K @30fps. I color-grade and process / edit in Adobe Premier.

Adobe is good stuff. I already use it for my marketing business. I have never edited any videos with it. I will try it out soon. Thanks for the pointers.  
2017-3-2
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't understand the purpose.  It's clearly not 1-3 feet above the water.  It's closer to maybe 10?
2017-3-2
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.2
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-3-2 13:13
I don't understand the purpose.  It's clearly not 1-3 feet above the water.  It's closer to maybe 10?

The purpose is that I'm an adrenaline junky I guess. The bottom of the bridge is only 12 feet above the water, so it's impossible that I was 10 feet above the water. You can't tell anything about the height from the video. POV is totally different if you are standing on the river bank. It is higher in spots than others of course.

Bring a Drone or two that you don't mind losing into the water, and you can give it a go yourself. They sell new ones every day. It's a rush when the landing gear hits the water.
2017-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules