Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Infinite focus to fix miss focus problems.
2569 13 2017-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HellFire77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 390863 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I was flying my Mavic pro the other day and recording some footage and lined up a new shot and clicked on the screen a house about 50m away to setup the focus again and make sure everything was sharp. Recorded what I wanted and went home.

Upon reviewing at home, before I tapped the focus everything was super sharp. When I tapped the focus again to make sure it was still sharp it miss focused and my shot was ruined. I couldn’t tell this on my small smart phone screen at 720p when out filming

What would completely fix this problem would be to get an infinite focus setting the same as what the OSMO+ has. Where you can tap the infinity symbol and the lens locks in to infinite focus for anything 10m away or what ever the lens will allow.

Has anyone else run into a problem like this when focusing? I also believe this would help for night flights.

DJI Natalie or DJI ken can you pass this on to the developers and engineers to see if we can get this setting?

2017-2-27
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

If you turn on Focus Peaking you'll have constant feedback on what is in focus, it's very helpful and apparently now available for Android users with the latest iteration of the app?
2017-2-27
Use props
HellFire77
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-27 15:36
If you turn on Focus Peaking you'll have constant feedback on what is in focus, it's very helpful and apparently now available for Android users with the latest iteration of the app?

Thanks for the idea, I knew about focus peaking but last I heard it was available for Android users. I will have to check this out when I get home.
2017-2-27
Use props
alirz5
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

I had this issue on my first and only trip three weeks ago to mexico. When i got back after my trip and checked out my vids,I saw the same issue and upon me tapping to focus, the mavic tried but incorrectly focused. Note that i was always filming landscapes, beaches primarily in sunny weather. This sucked as more than half of videos turned out to be total garbage and useless.PS my Mavic has the left side focus issue, where the left upper quadrant of the picture is always out of focus.
2017-2-27
Use props
JohnMcL7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15295 ft
United Kingdom

This makes a lot of sense and I'm surprised the Mavic doesn't have it since the sensor is tiny so it's got a lot of depth of field anyway and in most cases with the ultra wide lens in most cases it's not going to be focusing close anyway.

John
2017-2-27
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Technically, the Mavic does actually have the option to go to Infinity focus. If you switch to MF mode, you can click to focus on Infinity or Macro, or anywhere in-between. Although, to be honest, I haven't had the best of luck with Mavic's MF.

Also, what you really want is to be able to set focus to the hyperfocal distance. This will give a larger depth of field than just focusing on Infinity.
2017-2-28
Use props
HellFire77
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

alirz5 Posted at 2017-2-27 16:29
I had this issue on my first and only trip three weeks ago to mexico. When i got back after my trip and checked out my vids,I saw the same issue and upon me tapping to focus, the mavic tried but incorrectly focused. Note that i was always filming landscapes, beaches primarily in sunny weather. This sucked as more than half of videos turned out to be total garbage and useless.PS my Mavic has the left side focus issue, where the left upper quadrant of the picture is always out of focus.

Thats too bad about your footage Alirz5, I know the feeling. My first Mavic had the same problem as yours. The bottom right of the picture was always blurry. I had to send it back for warranty repair for the gimble not working right and they gave me a whole new Mavic that thankfully seems to work great and fixed both the gimble and blurry camera problem.

Also thanks for the idea Jason, I tried using the Manual focus at night once but when I put it to infinity its not really infinity and everything is still blurry. Tho now that I think about it I havent tried that on my new Mavic, I will have to test that this weekend.

In short it would be great to get a Infinity focus or Hyperfocal? button like the OSMO+ has. Then I know everything is sharp and it just works.
2017-2-28
Use props
alirz5
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

Well its hard for any camera to focus at night as their is no contrast available. However if the mavic had a fixed focus camera then we wouldnt have any of these issues. I still dont konw why DJI decided to go with a manual focus lens on the mavic.
2017-2-28
Use props
HellFire77
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

alirz5 Posted at 2017-2-28 12:33
Well its hard for any camera to focus at night as their is no contrast available. However if the mavic had a fixed focus camera then we wouldnt have any of these issues. I still dont konw why DJI decided to go with a manual focus lens on the mavic.

Yes most cameras have a hard time focusing in the dark. Which is why I want them to add a button to set it to infinite focus like the OSMO+ has.
2017-2-28
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

HellFire77 Posted at 2017-2-28 10:55
Thats too bad about your footage Alirz5, I know the feeling. My first Mavic had the same problem as yours. The bottom right of the picture was always blurry. I had to send it back for warranty repair for the gimble not working right and they gave me a whole new Mavic that thankfully seems to work great and fixed both the gimble and blurry camera problem.

Also thanks for the idea Jason, I tried using the Manual focus at night once but when I put it to infinity its not really infinity and everything is still blurry. Tho now that I think about it I havent tried that on my new Mavic, I will have to test that this weekend.

I could swear DJI's Mavic FAQ used to say the camera can focus past infinity in manual mode, but if I'm remembering correctly it's no longer listed. Maybe a more recent firmware release tightened up MF?
2017-2-28
Use props
HellFire77
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-28 17:07
I could swear DJI's Mavic FAQ used to say the camera can focus past infinity in manual mode, but if I'm remembering correctly it's no longer listed. Maybe a more recent firmware release tightened up MF?

So Android has focus peaking now. However I tried a night flight and it helped a bit but its still not accurate enough to see on the phone screen if everything is in focus or not until you get home and view it on a big screen.

So I ask again if anyone at DJI can get a infinity focus setting like the OSMO+ has. This cant be that hard to implement, please can someone from DJI respond or chime in?
2017-3-3
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

HellFire77 Posted at 2017-3-3 23:55
So Android has focus peaking now. However I tried a night flight and it helped a bit but its still not accurate enough to see on the phone screen if everything is in focus or not until you get home and view it on a big screen.

So I ask again if anyone at DJI can get a infinity focus setting like the OSMO+ has. This cant be that hard to implement, please can someone from DJI respond or chime in?

Have you tried to use digital zoom in conjunction with focus peaking?
2017-3-4
Use props
HellFire77
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-4 17:28
Have you tried to use digital zoom in conjunction with focus peaking?

I dont think you can use the zoom feature when recording in 4k.
2017-3-6
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

HellFire77 Posted at 2017-3-6 16:20
I dont think you can use the zoom feature when recording in 4k.

Ah, right, think you could get away with 2.7K?
2017-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules