Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Stress crack questions
2040 29 2017-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nightingale
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44301 ft
Netherlands

Hi All,

I seem to have some stress cracks with mij Phantom 3.

How bad is this?
Can I fly safely?
Can I do somthing about is (mount propguard plates?)

Thanks a lot!

Gideon
2017-2-28
Use props
Nightingale
lvl.2
Netherlands

BTW the machine is only 8 months old,...
2017-2-28
Use props
bigskyflyer
lvl.2
United States

Nightingale Posted at 2017-2-28 06:59
BTW the machine is only 8 months old,...

Pictures???
2017-2-28
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Many discussions about this on the forum. Almost all of them will show some initial cracks around the underside of the motors at some point. If you have flown much at all and it is 8-months old, I'd say your right on track. some will tell you they have none, but I think most will say yes. As long as they don't get too big I don't think it is a problem. If you catch them early, you can try some product called Weld-4 on them. It is a clear solvent that when applied will actually fuse the crack together. I have done several including my own and it works very well. Actually seems stronger than before and stops the cracks. There are other solutions out there too, but this works very well. You can replace the shell, which I have also done but there is no improved shell to purchase, so you have the same thing only new, and at some point will probably crack again. Overall not a major concern. If you can catch them early and do something with them you should be able to go a long time.
Some say it is due to flying very aggressive, but I wouldn't consider myself in that category, but mine developed the cracks about 8-9 months in too. I never had a hard landing , always hand catching, and never crashed it.
2017-2-28
Use props
Nightingale
lvl.2
Netherlands

@bigskyflyer I will post some pictures tomorrow. Thanks!
2017-2-28
Use props
Nightingale
lvl.2
Netherlands

@ricardogray thanks they are not as bad as ive seen from others. I also am not an aggressive flyer. But isnt this a warranty thing. Or is the fix just temporarily?
2017-2-28
Use props
bigskyflyer
lvl.2
United States

Nightingale Posted at 2017-2-28 14:24
@ricardogray thanks they are not as bad as ive seen from others. I also am not an aggressive flyer. But isnt this a warranty thing. Or is the fix just temporarily?

Mine finally cracked after a year and a half. I ordered a new shell and reinforced the arms with plastaid and it is as solid as a rock now. I would probably send it in for warranty repair, if you haven't crashed it, DJI is pretty good about replacing the shell. From what I have read the new shell will crack, also, sooner or later. For $60.00 bucks I would just order a new shell for later and reinforce the arms. Plastaid is amazing stuff, you mix it to a thin liquid and poor it around the motor screw holes and let it set and you will be good to go.
2017-2-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I need to crack into something, or drop 12 feet onto concrete to get cracks on mine. Stress isn't enough to affect it. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-28
Use props
fans06928933
lvl.1
Australia

I have the same problem but believe it was because I carry my drone in it's pack with the props still attached ?????
2017-2-28
Use props
bigskyflyer
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-28 15:35
I need to crack into something, or drop 12 feet onto concrete to get cracks on mine. Stress isn't enough to affect it. ;-)

I don't no why mine finally cracked, maybe because I have had it since May of 2015. I am not going to complain, I have a lot of hours on it. Besides, the shell swap was pretty easy.
2017-2-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

bigskyflyer Posted at 2017-2-28 18:27
I don't no why mine finally cracked, maybe because I have had it since May of 2015. I am not going to complain, I have a lot of hours on it. Besides, the shell swap was pretty easy.

I should actually buy myself a spare Phantom 3 shell, before they disappear. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-28
Use props
Nightingale
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hi bigskyflyer,

Here is a picture of the leg/arm with the most evident cracks. I think they are in the beginfase, by the looks of it.

Thanks!

Gideon
stresscracks.jpg
2017-3-1
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Nightingale Posted at 2017-3-1 01:39
Hi bigskyflyer,

Here is a picture of the leg/arm with the most evident cracks. I think they are in the beginfase, by the looks of it.

Yeah, that's not bad. Send it in if it is under warranty for sure. Like was said, buy a replacement shell and     reinforce head of time it before you even put it on. Not a hard job to do. Like all of said, you are buying the same thing, and at this point there won't be anything better made since they are discontinuing it. Plenty of parts will still be available for a long time I would imagine though.
2017-3-1
Use props
bigskyflyer
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-28 18:36
I should actually buy myself a spare Phantom 3 shell, before they disappear. ;-)

Yep. I think I will order another just in case.
2017-3-1
Use props
bigskyflyer
lvl.2
United States

Nightingale Posted at 2017-3-1 01:39
Hi bigskyflyer,

Hi Gideon, those cracks can definitely be repaired. Just pop the top shell off and pull the screws from the motor and pour some plastaid in the shell around the motor screw posts, almost to the tops of the posts, and your problem will be solved. Or, you could send it back in for warranty, it's up to you. The great thing about plastaid is it is very fluid and fills in all of the voids.
2017-3-1
Use props
Nightingale
lvl.2
Netherlands

bigskyflyer Posted at 2017-3-1 08:49
Hi Gideon, those cracks can definitely be repaired. Just pop the top shell off and pull the screws from the motor and pour some plastaid in the shell around the motor screw posts, almost to the tops of the posts, and your problem will be solved. Or, you could send it back in for warranty, it's up to you. The great thing about plastaid is it is very fluid and fills in all of the voids.

What are the main components of plastaid? I cant seem to buy is here in the netherlands,... maybe if I know what it is, I can find something similar. Some kind of epoxy?

Thanks a lot for the help!
2017-3-1
Use props
Nightingale
lvl.2
Netherlands

Nightingale Posted at 2017-3-1 10:20
What are the main components of plastaid? I cant seem to buy is here in the netherlands,... maybe if I know what it is, I can find something similar. Some kind of epoxy?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Is this something similar? This I can buy here in the Netherlands. :-)

http://www.itwconsumer.com/versa ... A2%2C%2025%20ml-126
2017-3-1
Use props
bigskyflyer
lvl.2
United States

Nightingale Posted at 2017-3-1 10:33
Is this something similar? This I can buy here in the Netherlands. :-)

Unfortunately that is a thick epoxy, very hard to work with.

www.plast-aid.com/

You can get it on amazon, I don't know about getting it shipped to The Netherlands.
2017-3-1
Use props
Pugsley
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Had same on mine, but was second hand so no warranty. I reinforced it with this..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132013726098
2017-3-1
Use props
Nightingale
lvl.2
Netherlands

bigskyflyer Posted at 2017-3-1 10:58
Unfortunately that is a thick epoxy, very hard to work with.

www.plast-aid.com/

Thanks! I got it! Its also on sell at ebay here!

THanks!
2017-3-1
Use props
bigskyflyer
lvl.2
United States

Pugsley Posted at 2017-3-1 10:57
Had same on mine, but was second hand so no warranty. I reinforced it with this..
[view_image]

Mine cracked even with these. They will keep the motors from separating from the aircraft but not necessarily keep the shell from cracking. After reinforcing the shell I put these back on just for the added insurance.
2017-3-1
Use props
Formatter
lvl.1

Canada

I used pin striping and went all around where the shells meet mine is two years old and no cracks. Also looks good and stiffened the whole airframe.I think it just stopped the flex in the prop arms and that contributes to the cracking. Also do not tighten the screws to tight in the motor mounts this will also crack the shell.
2017-3-2
Use props
Nightingale
lvl.2
Netherlands

Pugsley Posted at 2017-3-1 10:57
[view_image]

Wow and looks great to! :-)
2017-3-2
Use props
Nightingale
lvl.2
Netherlands

bigskyflyer Posted at 2017-3-1 11:04
Mine cracked even with these. They will keep the motors from separating from the aircraft but not necessarily keep the shell from cracking. After reinforcing the shell I put these back on just for the added insurance.

Wierd, you would say it will take the stress from the plastic and distribute it over the aluminium. I orderd these and I will do the epoxy treatment. :-)

Thanks all for your advice!
2017-3-2
Use props
Kima
New
Flight distance : 519403 ft
Philippines

If you bought the Phantom from an authorized reseller, you can claim a warranty replacement for the shell...free of charge including shipping to and from the service center. I suggest you send an email to DJI. They do help their customers with a reply. They replaced my cracked shell...free of charge. ;)
2017-3-3
Use props
T3rdEye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221844 ft
United States

Formatter Posted at 2017-3-2 04:37
I used pin striping and went all around where the shells meet mine is two years old and no cracks. Also looks good and stiffened the whole airframe.I think it just stopped the flex in the prop arms and that contributes to the cracking. Also do not tighten the screws to tight in the motor mounts this will also crack the shell.

Formatter,  could you please post a picture of your preventive fix? Thanks
2017-3-4
Use props
Formatter
lvl.1

Canada

T3rdEye Posted at 2017-3-4 05:21
I am trying I cant seem to upload a pic?

2017-3-9
Use props
Formatter
lvl.1

Canada

This seems to have worked for me.
Fix1.jpg
Fix2.jpg
Fix3.jpg
Fix4.jpg
2017-3-9
Use props
T3rdEye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221844 ft
United States

Formatter,
Looks really nice and a fix that has not been presented before.  Thanks for sharing.
2017-3-9
Use props
Formatter
lvl.1

Canada

T3rdEye Posted at 2017-3-9 12:22
Formatter,
Looks really nice and a fix that has not been presented before.  Thanks for sharing.

Just to confirm my idea. I am an actual aircraft structure technician with a machinist background. I thought about the issue and the possible cause. It seems the flex in the arms is allowing for the stress cracks from the weakest points so it makes some sense to remove some of the flex and or dampen it a little and it should lessen the chance of the cracks. Also don't over tighten the attachment screws. I hope this helps.
2017-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules