follow me function setup
4620 10 2017-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WYSEY
New

Australia

Gday team,

Ive finally got the confidence to play with the follow me function on my inspire 1. I found a few issues and i'm not sure if its my setup or just the way it is.

Now ive read alot of the posts but they aernt entirly helping

I put the bird in the air 20 metres up. Set my home point to the controller. Set the drone to follow me mode and off we went. What was driving me crazy was the fact that the drone wouldnt go past its original home point even though it was set to the remote. So in short the drone would be over me but thought it was 200 metres away and would just go into hover mode. Is there something in the menu i need to change? Also i found the camera didnt really track that well on my vechile. If i framed up first before moving would it then maintain that frame? Would love to take this montain biking this weekend so would luv to reslove.

Thanks in advance guys.

Wysey

2017-3-1
Use props
WYSEY
New

Australia

sorry, just to explain as it didnt make totla sense. The drone was near me but wanted to use its original home point and would just strat hovering
2017-3-1
Use props
WYSEY
New

Australia

Ok that sounded a little confusing. So just to reiterate. When i started driving the drone followed me but the distance reading wasnt registering to the controller, it was registering from the original home point so 500 metres up the road, the bird would just start hovering even though i was just below. any ideas
2017-3-1
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

What mobile device are you using? If it has GPS it will have to be on and getting good satellite reception, if the device is in your car this may not happen.
If you get this working, please remember that although you think the drone is capable of flying itself, you must be able to take control IMMEDIATELY, should anything go wrong, if you are driving or riding a mountain bike, you will not be able to do this.

Please have someone in control at all times.

As clever and cool as autonomous flight may be, nobody is impressed when DJI (and everyone else) tell you "your accident was down to pilot error".

Fly safe dude, I look forward to seeing the results.

Mark G.
2017-3-1
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

I'm really not 100% sure what you are getting at. Make sure your mobile device is getting a good GPS signal and I'm pretty sure you do not have to set any home point manually. Take a look at this video, it explains the intelligent flight modes really well.

Mark G.
2017-3-1
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I have had this happen to me one time on a very cloudy day .  Seems like the satellites could not get the data for triangulation .  

Was it cloudy on the day you tried by any chance?

Did the go app follow me Mode open and give you altitude and GPS strength ?

I have used the follow me many times and the ONLY time I had trouble was in heavy cloud cover  ( very similar results to yours as well where it would stay in fixed hover )

You  are getting a screen like the one below at least correct , with strong GPS and the  "Follow me mode enabled"  Pop up on the top left of main screen ? ?
donnie

folow mode.png
2017-3-1
Use props
WYSEY
New

Australia

Thanks for all your comments team. I was using my iPhone 6 as my mobile device. It was just an experiment ons. Nice long open road and I was the passenger. There was a storm cell an hour west but there wasn't much above. All the gps's were good with strong signal. My phone signal wasn't that great though, could this be a problem? The most confusing part for me was the fact that I had the home point set to the controller but it kept referring to the home point where we first started driving. I've got my distance set to 500 metres, I'd hit that and it would stop and hover. Donnie your screen shot looks identical except I hid the follow me function (not exited) mark it all made sense I my head until I read it. I must proof read things! I'll do a walk experiment next time. I just thought tje follow me function might work as good as say the mavic? Has anyone used it on moving cars? Or anything other than walking? Cheers guys
2017-3-1
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

WYSEY Posted at 2017-3-1 12:45
Thanks for all your comments team. I was using my iPhone 6 as my mobile device. It was just an experiment ons. Nice long open road and I was the passenger. There was a storm cell an hour west but there wasn't much above. All the gps's were good with strong signal. My phone signal wasn't that great though, could this be a problem? The most confusing part for me was the fact that I had the home point set to the controller but it kept referring to the home point where we first started driving. I've got my distance set to 500 metres, I'd hit that and it would stop and hover. Donnie your screen shot looks identical except I hid the follow me function (not exited) mark it all made sense I my head until I read it. I must proof read things! I'll do a walk experiment next time. I just thought tje follow me function might work as good as say the mavic? Has anyone used it on moving cars? Or anything other than walking? Cheers guys

I have used it in my car ( moon roof ) with a driver and it worked great.  ( lonely area, only a hermit lived up the ways )  It depends if the phone had strong GPS  signal , try it in another area, not sure the cell signal would have anything to do with it , dont think so   ( you use the same phone and go app with the mavic correct )

I would turn off the 500 meter distance limit in case it getting confused ( the gps )  , that could be the problem not sure .

Just try a walking test on a nice sunny day , it should work , then bump up to the car .  The aircraft will turn and face the transmitter as well  , just lower the tilt and it should keep you in frame also .

I am going to test mine again tomorrow , the weather is a bit dodgy today , but I will double check my settings and get back with you in a day or so .

Also I think the Follow mode automatically has a little Icon on the main go app page on the far left that shows the Person icon as the new home point so you dont need to change it , I will double check soon as weather permits.

Like I said I had the exact same symptoms , but it was a super heavy cloudy day .  

Other members can of course chime in as well.

*** You can turn on the "hide" for the Pop Up - no problem , IF you get into any trouble the fastest way to kill the Follow mode and regain FULL control is to flip the Multi function switch from the F mode to the P mode , (you have sluggish limited control in the FM mode ( follow me ) ) so if you need to do something quick remeber this........TRUST ME  

til' then

donnie

2017-3-1
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

WYSEY Posted at 2017-3-1 12:45

I went and test flew today with the "follow me "  all worked great ....One thing on yours , did you select " Apply "  when the Follow me "Pop Up" first came up ?

donnie

2017-3-2
Use props
WYSEY
New

Australia

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-2 09:22
I went and test flew today with the "follow me "  all worked great ....One thing on yours , did you select " Apply "  when the Follow me "Pop Up" first came up ?

donnie

Thanks Donnie. I'll do another test next week. I just had a weekend away and was going to mess around with the follow me setting but it rained and then rained and then rained again! Would of been of been a great place for the bird aswell.
2017-3-3
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

WYSEY Posted at 2017-3-3 22:21
Thanks Donnie. I'll do another test next week. I just had a weekend away and was going to mess around with the follow me setting but it rained and then rained and then rained again! Would of been of been a great place for the bird aswell.

Let me know , it is real  cool function

donnie
2017-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules