Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
I AM ABLE TO KEEP USING GOOGLE MAPS -READ THIS
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120141 ft
United States

OK, So,,, I have noticed that DJI moved from google maps to here maps.. which.. sucks in terms of resolution. Also, when I open the dji go app and the here maps show, the live view is laggy as hell.  yup.. when I load the app and I see here maps, the video feedback is useless, I dont know why.  Now,  If I close the app.. and open it again,, guess what?,  google maps show just as before on 3.0.0 version of the dji go app I believe.  When the google app shows,  I no longer get video lag.     My question is, why does this happen??  definitly it looks like a glitch since dji changed to here maps.   Now another piece of information is, I have not updated the standard firmware to its latest firmware. I am still on 1.6.8 I believe. This is the update where many had the problem with short range. I never had short range (I live in USA)  therefore, I never updated to the newest update.      With all the info I have given, why do you think that I am still able to see google maps once I close and open the dji go app? when everyone sees the here maps.

Thanks in advance for your replies.  If this is a glitch simply because I havent update its firmware,  well, I like it then. Google maps rock!  cheers!
2017-3-1
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.4
United States

any one here ?
2017-3-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Gerardo,

Oh, we are here, just not Here Maps!  Interesting suggestion you have made.  I am sure a hundred Phantom Fliers are going to try your suggestion to see if it works for them.

Just so you know how to interpret the reaction to your Thread, look at the number of views in the upper right.  In one day, you have had 75 views.  That shows significant interest in your suggestion.  Now, your circumstances are a bit unique and will require a little doing or for someone who has your firmware versions, some testing.  That takes a little time.  Dialogue will come.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Thankfully I am in iPad Air2 Cellular tranquility... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-2
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-2 04:04
Thankfully I am in iPad Air2 Cellular tranquility... ;-)

I thankfully don't even use maps
2017-3-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-2 04:07
I thankfully don't even use maps

Yes, but you may need them maps someday, to find a wayward drone... Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-3-2
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

I have the Nvidia K1 and updated to Nougat 7 and had a few probs so went back to 6.0.1 Unfortunately as we all know we have HERE maps But I found a quick solution on YouTube. You have to ROOT your device...and me being an old bloke playing around with this sort of stuff could lead to a disaster...but then again I followed the instructions on how to roll the K1 back so I thought I would give it a go. Simply download a program to your computer called KingoRoot and install. Follow the instructions and in a couple of mins you will have you android device ROOTED. Then go to the Play Store and download a free App called Disable Service...install it and then open it.You will find the Go App in the list...tap on it and it will open the Go App...scroll down to MAP SERVICE and untick the box and close the App. Open your Go App and you will see some error about maps...dont worry about it and when you fully open the GoApp it defaults back to Google Maps...all done. Seriously..it took me a whole 5 mins to do the lot.  Cheers !!
2017-3-2
Use props
Gerardo Rejec
lvl.4
United States

thanks for the comments.. Yeah I watched on youtube that work around but i felt  little uneasy bout rooting my phone... I dont really mind here maps.. the only thing that bothers me is that when here maps show up the video feed becomes laggy as hell.. it renders the video feed useless.. when the dji go app uses google.. it works perfectly... my guess is that soon.. dji will push me to download a new dji go version where I will.no longer be able toload google maps and I will be grounded cauae here maps renders the video unusuble ..  thats what i am worried about
2017-3-2
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Taiwan

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-2 11:34
Yes, but you may need them maps someday, to find a wayward drone... Ha

The maps on Phantomhelp seem to be good enough for this.
2017-3-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-2 19:28
The maps on Phantomhelp seem to be good enough for this.

Sure If you have a cellular network activated.

I must cache my map, before I go to fly...

Honestly, the back and forth, to home, would be a mighty waste of time.

RedHitPoker
2017-3-2
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Taiwan

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-2 20:13
Sure If you have a cellular network activated.

I must cache my map, before I go to fly...

I leave my 4g on when I fly.  Also rarely switch to aircraft mode. Once so far lol. Yesterday to do a near 3km distance flight.
2017-3-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

The Go app visits around 15 different websites, that keep continual tabs on your flights and locations.
Perhaps for your style of flying, that may be beneficial, someday.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-2
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Taiwan

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-2 20:25
The Go app visits around 15 different websites, that keep continual tabs on your flights and locations.
Perhaps for your style of flying, that may be beneficial, someday.

It could be beneficial for the next people who fly up my way also.  I've found a few new locations I want to do more flying from.
2017-3-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I've mentioned in a previous thread, there are three scenarios where Google Maps may appear:

1.        When Google Maps is available and the app language is Japanese.
2.        When Google Maps is available with GPS data in Japan, and the accuracy is within 300m.
3.        When Google Maps is available with GPS data and a 300m accuracy, but Here maps fails to initialize at all.

Most likely you had experienced the latter. It wouldn't have anything to do with the aircraft itself, but rather the app.
2017-3-3
Use props
Anthonyg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183054 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-3 11:46
I've mentioned in a previous thread, there are three scenarios where Google Maps may appear:

1.        When Google Maps is available and the app language is Japanese.

But why have Google maps gone?
I don't get why dji would want to make their products worse.
Litchi uses Google don't they and  don't apple users have decent maps?
Why won't someone from dji tell us why we can't have Google on android.
I've asked before but had my message removed.
2017-3-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Anthonyg Posted at 2017-3-4 10:27
But why have Google maps gone?
I don't get why dji would want to make their products worse.
Litchi uses Google don't they and  don't apple users have decent maps?

That's question has been posed multiple times. Unfortunately we're not able to explain why they chose this route, other that it is a direction DJI chose to go in.
2017-3-4
Use props
michaeln416
lvl.1
Flight distance : 595157 ft
Canada

My tablet suddenly switched back to Google Maps today. It did this on it's own, I haven't made any changes.
March 19, 2017 85917 AM EDT.png
2017-3-19
Use props
michaeln416
lvl.1
Flight distance : 595157 ft
Canada

And just like that, they're gone. Oew back to Here.
2017-3-19
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>
Germany

There is a workaround for Android (without root) but it needs to be done each time device is rebooted:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-81484-1-2.html
2017-3-19
Use props
Dioden
Second Officer
Sweden

Nothing I have notice on my tab, but it's connected to my cellular with spot function. It works. ..
2017-3-22
Use props
#shotxclvck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3423297 ft
United States

how are you guys able to fly without doing updates....I thought you basically had too update in order for the drone to fly with the app
2017-3-22
Use props
fans987d278a
Second Officer
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

#shotxclvck Posted at 2017-3-22 15:20
how are you guys able to fly without doing updates....I thought you basically had too update in order for the drone to fly with the app

I haven't updated firmware in 6 months, My P3A flies perfectly & I'll be damned if I;m going to mess with bugy new firmware!
My neighbour, who bought a P4 when they first came up, is still flying on the firmware his P4 came with.
Mind you, I haven't used the Go app, for approx. 4-5 months, Litchi works so well for me,
I;m lucky in that behind or 8 house subdivision, is about 700 acres of green belt that we can fly in/over. On here maps, this 8 house complex where we live, shows up as a bare field, these homes were all built 6 years ago!
2017-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules