Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
h265 codec WTF
4552 9 2017-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skyris
Captain
Flight distance : 333799 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just spent the morning filming and taking stills with the inspire 2.. I updated the new app (DJI Go 4) they have made a few changes I have noticed for selecting FPS without effecting the resolution which is nice.
Major Problem.... H265 codec... I cant use it, cant play it... wasted morning. I actually sold the last inspire pro as the codec was terrible and the h265 codec sold me to the inspire 2...absolutly pI*7#d off
Major Problem.... all the stills didnt save
Major Problem.... when in manual focus the ininity keeps reseting after every still taken (thought it was taking stills)
Major Problem.... Limited flight distance.. prob 800m

Hopefully we can get some firmware updtes that will fix these issues.. bit worried taking this on jobs now

2017-3-1
Use props
ScooterC5
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

If you're using a Mac, simply rename the h.265 .mov extensions to .mp4.  Premiere Pro CC will then recognize them.
2017-3-2
Use props
ScooterC5
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Also, if you have the ability to physically lock your lens to infinity, then do so... otherwise, don't use it.  Infinity is not so sharp anyway.  Best to use touch to focus if you want a nice sharp video or stills..
2017-3-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Could you verify what firmware version you're running? Just to clarify, what kind of SD card are you using? What video format are you filming at? Are you giving the camera enough time to write the stills on the card when you attempt to take stills? Are you using the stock lens or a 3rd party lens? Could you happen to provide samples of what you're getting? For the distance, what kind of areas are you flying in? Have you made sure that your antennas are oriented for the best signal in relation to the aircraft's position?
2017-3-2
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

H.265 video can be converted to H.264, ProRes, etc. with any number of video converters. I use Brorsoft on my Mac. If you are simply wanting to view the videos you can download VLC if your computer doesn't support that CODEC (Macs currently don't, Windows 10 does).

Hopefully you can get the rest of the issues worked out. I didn't have any of those issues with my Inspire 2. It did a great job until it found a tree and subsequently splashed into a pond.
2017-3-2
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

ScooterC5 Posted at 2017-3-2 01:12
If you're using a Mac, simply rename the h.265 .mov extensions to .mp4.  Premiere Pro CC will then recognize them.

Thanks this worked for the h265
2017-3-3
Use props
Skyris
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-2 11:31
Could you verify what firmware version you're running? Just to clarify, what kind of SD card are you using? What video format are you filming at? Are you giving the camera enough time to write the stills on the card when you attempt to take stills? Are you using the stock lens or a 3rd party lens? Could you happen to provide samples of what you're getting? For the distance, what kind of areas are you flying in? Have you made sure that your antennas are oriented for the best signal in relation to the aircraft's position?

Latest firmware.. h265 mov.... yes same as the inspire 2,  there could have been a glitch as it is taking stills now, was using the stock lens, the distance problem could have been the video link was set to 5.8ghz as default now set to 2.4ghz,
I have been told by another dji member that the new inspire 2 firmware coming soon will allow the 12mm lens to calibrate properly.
It's because of the feature of 12mm lens. The distance information got from different serial of 12mm lens is different. But we have improved this feature in the next firmware. Please wait for the next firmware. from dji r&d squad
I converted the footage and it looks great but will be sticking to h264 until we can use the h265 on adobe and davinci etc
2017-3-3
Use props
skyeyeguy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had serious problems the first time I shot using h.265 (aka HEVC Advanced) codec because I accidentally used a UHS Class 1 vs type instead of a UHS Class 3 type microSD. Not enough bandwidth in the type 1 for the required 12MB/s h.264 bandwidth at 30fps, but the image is SO MUCH BETTER than stuff shot using h.264 that I prefer to shoot with it. The focusing issues I have not seen. However, I am on the latest version of the Phantom 4 Pro FW and primarily shoot video, not stils.

My problem was that, firstly, the h.265 codec (like h.264) uses INTRA frames. Apparently (from what I saw) when you end up dropping frames in the original footage, you can run a transcoder (like Brorosoft's) on the footage, but the dropped frames — containing intra frames — makes what comes out the other end end of the transcoder somehow unreadable by QuickTime. Even h.265 enabled players (like VLT) cannot play these files back once these transcoder-induced glitchy frames are embedded in the footage.

The solution was shooting ONLY with  FAST cards of the UHS Class 3 HC-I variety: specifically a 32Gb Transcend Ultimate 633x UHS 3 HC-I cards. This worked like a champ.

Transcoding then to an Apple Intermediate and then to ProRes results in a highly usable file with far better edge definition and therefore infinitely more visually pleasing than any of the h.264 encoded clips are!

Hopefully we'll have news soon of the competing/alternative format to h.265, the AV1codec due out this year (2017). The proprietary nature of h.265 and their high licensing fees have kept Apple from bothering, as well as many others. Greed ... what a shameful thing.
2017-3-5
Use props
Maxwhiteuv
lvl.4

United States

As for software that can playback HEVC-encoded files, there are many options out there. On Windows 10, you can natively play HEVC videos in the default Films & TV app or through Windows Media Player. Alternatively, you can use VLC or MPC-HC for playback, which support older operating systems, or popular media center apps like Kodi (version 14 onwards) and Plex Media Player.

If you’re running macOS or iOS, VLC is your best bet. On Android devices, you’ll be able to play back HEVC files using MX Player through software decoding if your device is fast enough, or if it is, both MX Player and the Plex app supports native HEVC playback. Note that some devices have HEVC decoding blocks in their SoCs but don’t support native playback at this time.

If you still have no luck to get H.265 with above listed apps, you can use our best H.265 converter to convert H.265 to various popular file formats for playing and editing.
2017-3-24
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

h.265 is not ready for mainstream use. stick to h.264 or use a converter for what you have shot so far.
2017-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules