1007 3 2017-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Has anyone tried flying today and have any gps issues? My mavic went to Atti mode with 15 satellites locked 3 times today. Went home and checked the KP index, sure enough there was a pretty large flare up today.
Screenshot_20170301-182142~01.png
2017-3-1
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yup... My KP was on 7 which is very high so I decided NOT to fly. I have UAV FORECAST free app installed on my IPHONE. I always check it bfore flight!
2017-3-1
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

I think all UAV pilots with drones that have GPS lock should pay a bit more attention on this.

@dronist - I've just downloaded UAV Forecast, very good to have.

FYI for those who are new, from wonderful Wiki: The K-index quantifies disturbances in the horizontal component of earth's magnetic field with an integer in the range 0–9 with 1 being calm and 5 or more indicating a geomagnetic storm. It is derived from the maximum fluctuations of horizontal components observed on a magnetometer during a three-hour interval.

Or in Aussie Droners language…  ‘When the K Index is high it Phucks big time with your drones GPS lock’  , so if you’re not confident in your manual flying skills leave it on the ground until the K drops.
And this is NOT "Thermal Wind"!
2017-3-2
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

The interesting thing is I read a few newbie posts in the last 24 hours indicating loss of GPS. They probably sent their mavics back for service.
2017-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules