Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FPS / XBox esque controls...
2079 1 2014-10-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TobyC84
New

United States

Hey everyone, I did a few simple but effective experiments with my RC controller tonight to get a control scheme that more closely resembled the controls of an XBox to fit my preference. So first let me explain, for those who don't know, the two different control schemes.

Mode 2
(Default)
This mode has the throttle and the rotation on the left stick. The right stick is for the forward/back and left/right (strafe).

Mode 1
This mode has the throttle and the strafe on the right stick. The left stick is used for the forward/back and rotation. To access this mode you have to install the Phantom RC Assistant and connect your controller to your Mac/PC.

I thought mode 1 was where I wanted to be as far as controlling my Phantom however I quickly realized that what I really wanted was to completely swap the controls so that Forward/Back and Left/Right (strafe) was on the left stick and my rotation and throttle was on the right stick. This would more closely mimick an XBox or PS control scheme.

To do this:
Be careful if you choose to open your controller and make changes. You can damage the components in there. This doesn't take any rewiring, only swapping the stick connections on the circuit board.

Make sure your controls are in the default mode (Mode 2) before starting.
1. Power off the RC Controller and open it up.
2. You should be able to see the stick connections on the circuit board. Unplug them and connect what was the right stick to the left stick and the left stick to the right stick. Be gentle in here, the connections may be a little stiff.
3. Reassemble the controller.
4. Connect the controller to your Mac/PC and open the DJI Phantom Assistant.
5. Under the Basic tab select RC and set the A, E, T, R command sticks to reverse (REV). If you do not do this then all of your controls will be inverted.
6. Calibrate the sticks.
7. Power up your phantom and controller.
8. To start the motors you need to pull both sticks down and away from the center. Down and outward. You can stop the motors this way as well. You can also still stop the motors by holding the throttle back for 3 seconds.

For those of you out there who have many years using a control scheme like this for gaming you'll feel right at home real quick! I was much more comfortable completing some more complex maneuvers this way. I prefer this control scheme and I hope, for those of you who try it, that it works out well for you. I will say this though, after you make these changes and fly for the first time BE CAREFUL. Take it slow, make sure the throttle is working exactly how you want it to. If it isn't then figure out why. Fly in a relatively open area just in case as well. For you community pros out there if I said anything that was incorrect please correct me. I'm still a newbie with the Phantoms too! Good luck, have fun, happy filming!

2014-10-7
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.3

China

Yes, Toby, this makes it possible~~ Thanks for your experiment.
2014-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules