Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
X4S Gimbal Pan Broke after Firmware Update (Beware!)
12Next >
3273 41 2017-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GabeZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 768448 ft
United States

Oh Sad Day,
     I was so excited about this new firmware update.  Everything went smooth as glass and without a hitch.  Now, when I power up the aircraft, the gimbal pan buzzes and stays stuck at the upper limit within the Go App 4.  However, the camera itself is completely level.  If you play around with the RC wheel enough, it will unstick and continue normal operation.  Resetting the camera and doing a gimbal calibration has not fixed it.  Reseating the camera has not fixed it.  I looked at the pins of both the camera and the aircraft, and they are in pristine condition (they should be.... only 3 flights on this)........ Oh, and I did test on two separate devices (iPhone 7 plus and ipad 4).  Same issue......   Very disappointed.  DJI please help me.....

AC firmware: 1.0.0240
RC Firmware: 1.0.0110

2017-3-2
Use props
raven4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 86194 ft
United States

Mine did the same thing after I updated. I had to shutdown and restart 3x before it did the normal cal "dance".
2017-3-2
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

raven4 Posted at 2017-3-2 20:24
Mine did the same thing after I updated. I had to shutdown and restart 3x before it did the normal cal "dance".

Are you sure yours is behaving normally?  Also, once it finally unsticks, if it ever does, your good to go.  But if you shut down the aircraft and power back up, it's stuck again.  It happens every time.
2017-3-2
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

I didnt have any problem with mine using my X5S when i did firmware update and then switched to the X4S to check. In fact the camera shake has gone at first start up of the X4S that i used to get ocassionaly.
2017-3-2
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

I'm doing a quick refresh of the firmware since I can't take it off.  Video coming very soon.  Stay tuned for 15 more minutes.
2017-3-2
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Refresh didn't work........ figures.....
2017-3-2
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
China

when you updated your firmware did it download an intermediate firmware patch something like AC firmware: 1.0.0135? Then after that the AC firmware: 1.0.0240 was offered.
2017-3-2
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

There is a new version of DJI GO 4 try that may fix your problem...
2017-3-2
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Just had a error message saying "inconsistent firmware" said yes to download and can see the LED's on the battery flashing. I have just repeated for all my other sets.
2017-3-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

I've transferred your feedback to our engineers, will get back to you if I get any news from them.
2017-3-3
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-3 02:56
I've transferred your feedback to our engineers, will get back to you if I get any news from them.

Hi Natalia,
    I got on to DJI chat and we spent some time doing everything we could think of.  The end result is that they want me to send in the camera.  I'll test the new go app, but you can actually hear a buzz coming out of the gimbal when it's stuck.  The noise stays there until the gimbal unsticks.  I can do this by only powering on the aircraft, so there is not much hope that the go app will fix anything.  Poor camera
2017-3-3
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Double post.  
2017-3-3
Use props
dkotinsky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15096995 ft
  • >>>
United States

My inspire 2 and X4S is doing the same thing.  Camera wont move, and weird jellow shutter shake while sitting still on table.

Please Advise
2017-3-3
Use props
dkotinsky
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

dkotinsky Posted at 2017-3-3 08:33
My inspire 2 and X4S is doing the same thing.  Camera wont move, and weird jellow shutter shake while sitting still on table.

Please Advise

Also the head of the Quad is getting very warm very fast!
2017-3-3
Use props
dkotinsky
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Mine doing same thing, and head of copter getting very warm.  I updated last night
2017-3-3
Use props
dkotinsky
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Tranfer mine to them too.

My inspire 2 worked fine.  Did update.  Now x4s doesnt move up/down and l/r and is very shaky just sitting on the table.

Also the head of the Inspire 2 is getting very warm very fast.

Thanks
Dave Kotinsky

[url=mailtoave@davekotinsky.com]Dave@davekotinsky.com[/url]
2017-3-3
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Okay, here is my experience with the new firmware upgrade - for what its worth:
Upgraded the aircraft via PC using DJI Assistant 2 without the camera installed. (V 01.00.0240)
Upgraded the RC via iPad (V 01.00.0110)
Upgraded App via iPad (4.0.5)
Powered ON and system initialized as normal.
Powered OFF.
Installed camera (X5S) and powered ON - system initialized as normal.
Powered ON - App showed "Software Inconsistency" and prompted for an update.
Update took quite some time to complete (several minutes) and restarted at least once before complete.
Powered OFF and ON again and system initialized as normal. I did notice somewhat more "buzzing" as gimbal initialized but completed and works as expected.
Calibrated gimbal via App and it completed as expected.
All appears to be well.
The only problem I face now is that while a replacement set of props were delivered today - one of the two red-dot props still has play in the mount..

Best
Allan  
2017-3-3
Use props
dkotinsky
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

allanart Posted at 2017-3-3 12:31
Okay, here is my experience with the new firmware upgrade - for what its worth:
Upgraded the aircraft via PC using DJI Assistant 2 without the camera installed. (V 01.00.0240)
Upgraded the RC via iPad (V 01.00.0110)

how long does it take to calibrate gimbal?

Mine seems to get stuck at 10% or 20% and doesnt move.
2017-3-3
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dkotinsky Posted at 2017-3-3 13:09

Not sure if we might be confusing things here. The update which followed the "Inconsistent Firmware" message took a good while - at least as long as the A/C Firmware itself and paused several times before reaching 100%. The Gimbal Calibration was pretty quick and I don't recall seeing any  % values. That said I did not note the time taken - sorry!

Allan
2017-3-3
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

dkotinsky Posted at 2017-3-3 13:09

Hello,
   The gimbal calibration will not complete if your camera doesn't move or is stuck.  I have the same problem.
2017-3-3
Use props
dkotinsky
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

[size=14.6667px]I've got mine to work 5 times in a row.

[size=14.6667px]1. I power up quad, let it do its thing.

[size=14.6667px]2. Check Ipad, video shaky. Turn gimbal wheel - no response.

[size=14.6667px]3. I move my X4S with my hand up and down left and right. Only 1 to 2 mm in each direction.

[size=14.6667px]4. Then gimbal noise goes away, and it works normally, at least sitting on my dining room table.

[size=14.6667px]I forgot to add, you must blow on your hands, then rub them together - jk
2017-3-3
Use props
dkotinsky
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I've got mine to work 5 times in a row.

1. I power up quad, let it do its thing.

2. Check Ipad, video shaky. Turn gimbal wheel - no response.

3. I move my X4S with my hand up and down left and right. Only 1 to 2 mm in each direction.

4. Then gimbal noise goes away, and it works normally, at least sitting on my dining room table.

I forgot to add, you must blow on your hands, then rub them together - jk
2017-3-3
Use props
dkotinsky
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

dkotinsky Posted at 2017-3-3 17:02
I've got mine to work 5 times in a row.

1. I power up quad, let it do its thing.

I actually refined the procedure:

1. I grab front of camera, rotate 1mm or 2.

2. At same time turn gimbal wheel.

3.  Then everything kicks in
2017-3-3
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

dkotinsky Posted at 2017-3-3 17:16
I actually refined the procedure:

1. I grab front of camera, rotate 1mm or 2.

I thought about moving the gimbal by hand, but I don't want to break anything.  I'm able to play with the gimbal wheel until it unsticks though.  I'm going to be shipping out my carmera over the weekend.  Not sure it's fixable in this state.
2017-3-3
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

allanart Posted at 2017-3-3 13:50
Not sure if we might be confusing things here. The update which followed the "Inconsistent Firmware" message took a good while - at least as long as the A/C Firmware itself and paused several times before reaching 100%. The Gimbal Calibration was pretty quick and I don't recall seeing any  % values. That said I did not note the time taken - sorry!

Allan

Hi again. I re-ran the Gimbal Calibration and you are correct, it does display % progress, but the process completes quite smoothly and without long stops or delays. However, the short "buzz" at the end of the process remains ..
Allan
2017-3-5
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

I just shipped out my camera today.  I'll keep everyone posted on whether or not they fix it or replace it.  I'm just hoping the problem isn't in the aircraft itself.  No amount of reflashing or refreshing fixes this issue.

I would like someone to try updating the firmware without the camera attached.  Perhaps there would be different results???
2017-3-6
Use props
墨老爷子
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

very sorry about that, we will fix it as soon as possible.  before that, if you don't want to return it and continue using it, you can use you hand to hold the gimbal steady to suppress it's vibration , and it will soon finish initialization and start working normally
2017-3-7
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Hello All,
    I don't think DJI was able to salvage my camera.  I just saw an updated invoice for the full value of the camera.  If I'm correct, and I am getting a replacement camera, how are they going to fix everyone else's camera without replacement as well?
2017-3-15
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Quick status update...... I'm still waiting for my camera to be repaired.  By next week it will be a month........   But hey...... it's not like I need it......  Who needs a camera to shoot footage????  I spent 2 hours on hold to get told that they are waiting on parts for my camera.  I think that's a little odd considering a pre-filled invoice for the complete camera was uploaded to my case...... but what do I know????  It's just a PDF that resembles an invoice..... it's not like they filled it out and didn't need it.  Anyway, according to the DJI gods, I have 5-7 more days of waiting.......  and that's their best guess....... because who wants an ETA????  People don't need that type of organization in their lives......    everything would make too much sense......
2017-3-20
Use props
RichfromHowellN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Inspire 2 w/X5s
No Gimbal Issues (working normally)
App 4.05
Aircraft Version 01.00.0240
Remote Controller Version 01.00.0110
Raw Module Version 01.32.49.98
Camera Version 01.02.15.04
2017-3-23
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

RichfromHowellN Posted at 2017-3-23 04:28
Inspire 2 w/X5s
No Gimbal Issues (working normally)
App 4.05

Good to know yours works, but maybe it buzzes.  This was the symptom for the x5s owners.  I'm still waiting for my x4s.
2017-3-23
Use props
RichfromHowellN
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2017-3-23 17:05
Good to know yours works, but maybe it buzzes.  This was the symptom for the x5s owners.  I'm still waiting for my x4s.

Buzzes?  I heard a buzzing noise at start up but then it stops and I never hear it again ... is that what you are speaking about?
2017-3-23
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

RichfromHowellN Posted at 2017-3-23 19:02
Buzzes?  I heard a buzzing noise at start up but then it stops and I never hear it again ... is that what you are speaking about?

That is the buzz......   But I would trade the buzz for my issue any day.
2017-3-24
Use props
RichfromHowellN
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2017-3-24 16:26
That is the buzz......   But I would trade the buzz for my issue any day.

Thank GabeZ for confirming.  I'm not too concerned ... hope things work out with the x4s for you.  I've been pretty leery of doing any updates lately.
2017-3-24
Use props
fans7f718e6a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 884259 ft
Australia

Someone at DJI should get an ass kicking for this update, cost me a job today
2017-3-26
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

I get my camera back on 3/28.  I really hope it's fixed...... or I'm going to be livid...... .  I'll update you all once I receive and test it.  It shouldn't take long.
2017-3-27
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

Hello All,
   I got my (so not my) camera back.  Thank you DJI for sending me a refurbished camera in exchange for my hour and a half old brand new camera that you, by the way, damaged with your firmware update.........  The camera was kind of sitting crooked in the box, so presentation was already sketchy.  However, after I attached the camera, all seemed to be working.  I did have a brief instance of horizontal lines in the video output that immediately cleared...... not sure what to think of that.  Then, I got an inconsistent firmware message and the aircraft proceeded to re-flash all the firmware.  This was the "oh shhhh.....t" moment.  Anyway, I'm semi satisfied to say that all is working.  I have not flown yet, but the camera appears to be working.

But I do want to call DJI out on a few things.

1.  If a customer has a brand new product that you happened to kill with your firmware update, sending them a refurb is just bad customer service.......  who knows what problems I'm inheriting.
2.  If a customer calls your repair line, they shouldn't have to wait 2 hours....... yes, I timed it...... to get a rep on the phone.
3.  When a customer finally does reach your repair line, your agent should probably have integrity.  I was told that my camera was waiting on backordered parts.  But how can that be since I got a completely different camera?
4.  If your going to send a refurbished product in exchange for a new one, perhaps it should appear new or have proper presentation.  Your products are not cheap and I don't want to feel like I got something cheap in return......
5.  If your replacing new product with refurbished, then why does it take 3-5 days of repair/evaluation (and a 30 day turn around).  Perhaps you evaluated my issue, but you clearly sent me something else.

Oh.... and I'll be sure to fill out the survey you sent me and express how happy I am about getting a refurbished camera.  And I'm sure we will meet again when this camera shows signs of being a refurbished (with all the inherited problems).
2017-3-28
Use props
marian.riabic.g
lvl.2
Flight distance : 962828 ft
Australia

My x4s does the same. My remedy which works 100%. Just grasp the camera and hold it you hand firmly for a few seconds a move it a bit but keep holdi g firmly. It locks in only after a few seconds and all is good since. To me they set the gimbal PID values too high in tgis current FM. They need to roll them back a bit. It was all good in the previous FM. They tried to improve the precission of the stabilization but went a bit too far, IMHO. I M sure it will be fixed in the new FM. In the meantime do what I do. Easy fix
2017-3-29
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
United States

marian.riabic.g Posted at 2017-3-29 02:08
My x4s does the same. My remedy which works 100%. Just grasp the camera and hold it you hand firmly for a few seconds a move it a bit but keep holdi g firmly. It locks in only after a few seconds and all is good since. To me they set the gimbal PID values too high in tgis current FM. They need to roll them back a bit. It was all good in the previous FM. They tried to improve the precission of the stabilization but went a bit too far, IMHO. I M sure it will be fixed in the new FM. In the meantime do what I do. Easy fix

DJI R and D already shared this bit of information in regard to holding the camera with your hand.  I think it's a bad fix to something that needs resolution.  Perhaps it's just me, but If a saw someone with a brand new I2 that was holding his hand over the camera and trying to explain why, I would immediately question the companies reputation for product quality.  Gimbals have been around for years, and this could have easily been tested.  DJI so very confidently told me that they have every single product in a lab and they also know they know the best settings.  I bet the "best settings" didn't include a stuck camera.  Furthermore, I think it's an embarrassment to DJI themselves to showcase an Inspire 2 of their own that has this issue........ but wait..... that one would have been fixed and pristine as to not allow such a thing to be witnessed.
2017-3-29
Use props
marian.riabic.g
lvl.2
Flight distance : 962828 ft
Australia

When and where did they share it?? I got admission from DJI associates on RCG only today after pressing with this issue. It was met initially with a bit of denial to only admit later today that there is actually an issue with x4s gimbal and that my slotion with holding the left pitch motor is being officially endorsed by DJI as a temporary fix for the problem until they resolve it and release a new FM.
2017-3-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules