Dji Beta Admin Drops Ball with nVidia K1 Shield
2123 11 2017-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flyNfrank
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2624856 ft
United States

Most will agree the nVidia K1 Shield is the #1 Android tablet. Every since Dji's Beta Admins released both versions 4.0.3 & 4.0.4 of the GO4 App to be published the app became 100% useless(*details below). I have made several attempts to reach the Beta Admin about the issue with the nVidia K1 Shield with no response. I have no idea what the fix is, But I have diagnosed the problem appears to be associated only with the Android 7 Nougat version. Those who are able to roll their device back to android 6 marshmallow, have zero issues with versions 4.0.3 & 4.0.4 GO4 App.

Some issues being experienced are:
- Multiple Disconnects on every flight. the app goes black and returns to the "Navigation/Go Fly Page".
- init map error: FILE_RW_ERROR.
- Failed to send commands - Try again later.

The Android 7 Nougat version is the Red Flag. My guess is nobody on the current android beta team had a nVidia K1 Shield tablet with the new android 7 nougat version install before the app was published.

2017-3-3
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

FWIW I think I saw somewhere that Android 7 requires a new compiler, that kind of change often causes problems.
2017-3-3
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can confirm this issue, causes some very serious disconnects mid flight. I rolled back to Marshmallow and rooted the device. But the process was not straightforward and easy.

If you have an Nvidia Shield K1 tablet, DO NOT update your android.
2017-3-3
Use props
Mavicator
lvl.3
Flight distance : 129583 ft
United States

Some may agree that the Shield is the #1 android tablet, but I don't think that most do.  My Samsung S2 works very well indeed.  Maybe you should try one of those.
2017-3-3
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Oh dang, that stinks.  Good info, but that seriously stinks you had/have to go thru this.  Don't bet on GO being fixed anytime soon.  That's a mammoth task, so Android 6 rollback must be done.  

You can thank the Android devs for this.  They did this with Android 5, as well.  What a huge difference THAT was, though.  5 used ART vs DALVIK, so pretty much no app worked except Google apps.  That took a long time for apps to catch up.  Now there's 7 with its hybrid AOT/JIT compiler.  So you could install GO 4 a few times & it will install 2 different ways...  

*GO was written for Android 5 using C++
2017-3-3
Use props
flyNfrank
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2624856 ft
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-3-3 08:05
Oh dang, that stinks.  Good info, but that seriously stinks you had/have to go thru this.  Don't bet on GO being fixed anytime soon.  That's a mammoth task, so Android 6 rollback must be done.  

I'm extremely appreciative of every ones input!

Based on the details given here, Dji needs to communicate with the users if they have no immediate plans to update the android version of the GO4 app. This is simply part of innovation and other manufacturers will likely get on-board soon. I'm sure someone such as nVidia is not going to jump into a new arena without knowledge of what the others have planned as well.

If it is indeed a major over haul as mentioned for GO4 to be compatible with android 7, then I may need to consider a roll back to android 6.  
2017-3-3
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

flyNfrank Posted at 2017-3-3 12:28
I'm extremely appreciative of every ones input!

Based on the details given here, Dji needs to communicate with the users if they have no immediate plans to update the android version of the GO4 app. This is simply part of innovation and other manufacturers will likely get on-board soon. I'm sure someone such as nVidia is not going to jump into a new arena without knowledge of what the others have planned as well.

Hi, I would consider rolling back to Android 6 for now.  You don't know when DJI GO 4 will fix this.
2017-3-4
Use props
Safari
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-3-4 22:00
Hi, I would consider rolling back to Android 6 for now.  You don't know when DJI GO 4 will fix this.

This is not an acceptable answer. Having to use "obsolete" OS to use a DJI product does not make sense. Better would be if you urge your tech guys to be better in software programming. Or hire more capable programmers. I'm glad that i have an iPad as well, but that tiny list of recommended devices is just a joke in regard to the smartphone market nowadays.
Sorry for that but that's the truth!
DJI Hardware are great! DJI Software sucks.
2017-3-5
Use props
Socalrob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have an upgraded shield, how do you roll back to 6?
2017-3-5
Use props
Safari
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Socalrob Posted at 2017-3-5 09:29
I have an upgraded shield, how do you roll back to 6?

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid704362
2017-3-5
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

Has anyone tried flying with the new (shield 5.1) update that came out yesterday (2017.03.07)?  It claims to have fixed stability issues.
Regards,
-d.
2017-3-9
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

Flew today with my shield and did not have any issues, one thing I did was use SD Maid to delete duplicate files, I had 50 my of DJI duplicates, I kept the latest versions.
Regards,
-d
2017-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules