Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI OSMO PART 89 Gimbal Remote Extension
2652 5 2017-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanscb179702
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11240 ft
United States

Is this extention only compatible with Osmo and Osmo+? How about Osmo Pro?
2017-3-3
Use props
FauxFilm
lvl.3
United States

Officially it does not work with the Osmo Pro.

Unofficially... it does, and I use the gimbal extension cable with Osmo Pro sometimes.  As-is the locking ring will NOT fit on the X5 camera, it won't engage and turn-to-lock because the ring is too "tall" for that camera.  You'll have to do some machining, carefully remove the ring on the camera end of the extension cable (four tiny tiny screws inside it) and then carefully grind down the top of the ring (it's aluminum) until it will fit the camera.  It took me several (maybe a half dozen) trial and error runs of grinding and re-assembling and testing until I had finally removed exactly enough material to make it fit (this is exactly the same process that some people were doing to the original Z Axis arm to get it to fit with the X5 camera, before DJI created a Z Axis arm specifically for the X5).  

Keep in mind that you are now using a much-heavier camera that only attaches at the point of the connector (unlike the two structural points when you have the X5 on your handle) so I would be careful not to put TOO much stress on it... but it does work.

For what it is worth, you can also daisy chain the gimbal extension cables together... I use two of them connected together for a ten-foot reach.  I'll probably buy another one to stretch that a bit more... I can't GUARANTEE that more can be successfully chained together... but two of them definitely work.
2017-5-18
Use props
doug.upthink
lvl.1
Flight distance : 861621 ft
United States

FauxFilm Posted at 2017-5-18 11:24
Officially it does not work with the Osmo Pro.

Unofficially... it does, and I use the gimbal extension cable with Osmo Pro sometimes.  As-is the locking ring will NOT fit on the X5 camera, it won't engage and turn-to-lock because the ring is too "tall" for that camera.  You'll have to do some machining, carefully remove the ring on the camera end of the extension cable (four tiny tiny screws inside it) and then carefully grind down the top of the ring (it's aluminum) until it will fit the camera.  It took me several (maybe a half dozen) trial and error runs of grinding and re-assembling and testing until I had finally removed exactly enough material to make it fit (this is exactly the same process that some people were doing to the original Z Axis arm to get it to fit with the X5 camera, before DJI created a Z Axis arm specifically for the X5).  

Is it not possible to simply use the X5 adapter? I see reviews of everything working except the video feed. Is this a limit placed by DJI or simply a missing contact on the cable?

FauxFilm - after doing the original trick of machining down the adapter, do you get video feed with the extension?
2017-8-3
Use props
cofhal
New

Colombia

doug.upthink Posted at 2017-8-3 06:45
Is it not possible to simply use the X5 adapter? I see reviews of everything working except the video feed. Is this a limit placed by DJI or simply a missing contact on the cable?

FauxFilm - after doing the original trick of machining down the adapter, do you get video feed with the extension?

It works well, but directly connected the cable to the osmo without the adapter for the X5, for this it is necessary to put an attachment to the X5 to allow to connect the extender
2017-9-6
Use props
lemonlimetwist
New

United States

cofhal Posted at 2017-9-6 13:07
It works well, but directly connected the cable to the osmo without the adapter for the X5, for this it is necessary to put an attachment to the X5 to allow to connect the extender

So using the extension cable with the X5 adapter won't send a video feed to the DJI Go app? But, using the modified extension cable method (FauxFilm's mod) and connect directly to the X5 will send video feed to the app? Can anyone confirm this?

Since I am also looking into using this setup I just want some clarification. I am using an Osmo Pro (X5 + X5 adapter) with the extension cable. I tried this the other day and couldn't get a video feed to the DJI Go app. I was using a 3rd party extension cable so I thought it was just an issue with that brand (it worked with an Osmo+) so I reordered a DJI brand extension. I am waiting for it in the mail but it sounds like from this thread that it might not work either with the Osmo Pro.

It seems crazy to me that the extension connection would disable video function when connected to the X5 adapter. I would have assumed that since the X5 adapter works properly with the handle that the extension would just "extend" those same connections.
2018-10-26
Use props
WebParrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

lemonlimetwist Posted at 2018-10-26 01:29
So using the extension cable with the X5 adapter won't send a video feed to the DJI Go app? But, using the modified extension cable method (FauxFilm's mod) and connect directly to the X5 will send video feed to the app? Can anyone confirm this?

Since I am also looking into using this setup I just want some clarification. I am using an Osmo Pro (X5 + X5 adapter) with the extension cable. I tried this the other day and couldn't get a video feed to the DJI Go app. I was using a 3rd party extension cable so I thought it was just an issue with that brand (it worked with an Osmo+) so I reordered a DJI brand extension. I am waiting for it in the mail but it sounds like from this thread that it might not work either with the Osmo Pro.

LLTwist... be aware.... you're responding to a thread that is over a year old.  :-)
2018-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules