Vent my stupidity
1465 26 2017-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bnmjy1
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Well, got my drone yesterday, earlier on, it was a little dark, but being a show off I wanted to show my friend it in action, I takes off, it comes direct at me, not really used to the controls yet, I panics to correct it, crashes in to a fence.

Damaged two propellers, and scratched the unit, but a saving grace, I forgot to take the gimble cover off, so luckily the gimble survived.

It's still dark now, going to check it out in the morning, I'm such a doughnut

Moral of the story, be smart, don't be me.
2017-3-3
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

next time just take yourhands off of the sticks. It will stop and stay right where it is
2017-3-3
Use props
Bnmjy1
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-3-3 16:27
next time just take yourhands off of the sticks. It will stop and stay right where it is

I know there is no sense crying over spilt milk, but I wanted this drone so bad, it is my pride and joy. I'm so mad at myself
2017-3-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bnmjy1 Posted at 2017-3-3 16:30
I know there is no sense crying over spilt milk, but I wanted this drone so bad, it is my pride and joy. I'm so mad at myself

Removing your fingers from the sticks will insure you can do no more wrong, it's always good to have this in the front of your mind.

Just a tip if you are a new flyer, when flying try to keep back of the AC facing you, the AC flys at the same speed forwards backwards and sidwards, it will also give your brain a chance to get used to left is left back is back and so on, when you've mastered this, try it opsite way around.

Don't worry about the little tip, it happens to us all, doing it early concentrates the mind, hope everything else is ok, Good Luck..
2017-3-3
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

REad the manual first, practice in the academy, try all kind of scenarios and then use the beginner mode in an open area and follow what Hall mark said and you should be OK.
2017-3-3
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The 'pause' button also stops the drone dead in its tracks...  
2017-3-3
Use props
molyvos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74610 ft
Greece

You are not alone!

Flew mine sideways into a tree first time out. Gimbal cover was on so the camera was safe. I did need to go home for a ladder to retrieve the Mavic.

Lots of egg on face, dented pride and 2 chipped props. But a valuable lesson.
2017-3-4
Use props
Njw83
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89767 ft
United Kingdom

Bnmjy1 Posted at 2017-3-3 16:30

I felt exactly the same two days ago when I flew it into my own house!! Put me in a bad mood for a whole 24 hrs... my poor wife had to put up with me lol

2017-3-4
Use props
Aaticri
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213022 ft
United Kingdom

It's the stuff of nightmares. You won't do it again.....
2017-3-4
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Wellsi Posted at 2017-3-3 23:47
The 'pause' button also stops the drone dead in its tracks...

I second this. The Pause button stops the Mavic amazingly well, and I recommend everybody practice using it to the point that it becomes second nature to reach for that magic button when things are looking a little sketchy :-)
2017-3-4
Use props
Bnmjy1
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I got to learn to walk before I run I suppose, open fields and use of begginer mode i think.
2017-3-5
Use props
Flyboyz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 142615 ft
Singapore

I feel u, i have the similar eperience but i fly in-door....lucky everything is ok except some scratches on the propellers
2017-3-5
Use props
Bnmjy1
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-3 16:58
Removing your fingers from the sticks will insure you can do no more wrong, it's always good to have this in the front of your mind.

Just a tip if you are a new flyer, when flying try to keep back of the AC facing you, the AC flys at the same speed forwards backwards and sidwards, it will also give your brain a chance to get used to left is left back is back and so on, when you've mastered this, try it opsite way around.

Thanks for the tips, but it was all totally my fault, when I takes off I usually just let it hang for a minute (jus admiring it I suppose) but I took off just from my front door, and I got a canopy, and it was a little windy

When I took off it came direct at me, I'm by the door under the canopy, so it was going hit the canopy ceiling, panicked, ascended up to clear the canopy( I did) but it was still pitching back, so even more panicked, tried going forwards, or something, wrongly went left directly into my fence.

Think the wind at something to do with it, it was just all round stupid on my part, you think I got money to burn
2017-3-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bnmjy1 Posted at 2017-3-5 07:35
Thanks for the tips, but it was all totally my fault, when I takes off I usually just let it hang for a minute (jus admiring it I suppose) but I took off just from my front door, and I got a canopy, and it was a little windy

When I took off it came direct at me, I'm by the door under the canopy, so it was going hit the canopy ceiling, panicked, ascended up to clear the canopy( I did) but it was still pitching back, so even more panicked, tried going forwards, or something, wrongly went left directly into my fence.

No worries, when you say you take off and just hover for a minute, here's a tip.

Hover at 10 feet for 20sec go forward about 3 feet backward 3 feet up 3 feet down 3 feet yaw left yaw right, then if you have no problems and aircraft is staying level you will then know you have good IMU good compass and good gps reception, takes less than two minutes, and your ready to fly.

Good Luck...
2017-3-5
Use props
Bnmjy1
lvl.1
United Kingdom

And just little update just hovered it in my garden yesterday,check the settings and stuff.

seems fine the unit,but it actually managed to break 3 props, put the two spares,kept the least broke one in to hover it,  least damaged one is intact but got a little crack in it.

So need some more props
2017-3-5
Use props
Sdpaddler50
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for posting your stories. I got mine out of the box yesterday and doing the basic set up, while it is sitting on my desk as I read through this forum and watch videos. I am very tempted to start flying this thing, but will resist the urge awhile longer while I get a clue.
2017-3-5
Use props
Aaticri
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213022 ft
United Kingdom

Everyone has had these moments.
2017-3-5
Use props
Bnmjy1
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Sdpaddler50 Posted at 2017-3-5 09:42
Thanks for posting your stories. I got mine out of the box yesterday and doing the basic set up, while it is sitting on my desk as I read through this forum and watch videos. I am very tempted to start flying this thing, but will resist the urge awhile longer while I get a clue.

It's so clichéd, but yeah, wide open areas.

Should listen to my own advice actually.
2017-3-6
Use props
Thudd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624787 ft
United States

Fly too close to the ground and you get the  Jimmy Buffett.
2017-3-6
Use props
ngvuanh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

I just don't know why a lot of people saying you don't need to fly a cheap quad before flying this expensive one and of course can cause injuries.
2017-3-6
Use props
Bnmjy1
lvl.1
United Kingdom

ngvuanh Posted at 2017-3-6 09:24
I just don't know why a lot of people saying you don't need to fly a cheap quad before flying this expensive one and of course can cause injuries.

A friend had a little cheap one, don't think it is even possible to practice at all with the one in question, it couldn't hover, totally erratic, just goes where it wanted to.

Then my other friend got a Parrot 2, it's definitely a step up, and that could be used as sound practice, but that will set me back about £400 I think.

I've made the plunge with the Mavic now either way, rest assured I've learned of my early mistake. I got a long way to go to get the control I desire, but I'll master it, with this one( fingers crossed)
2017-3-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bnmjy1 Posted at 2017-3-6 11:49
A friend had a little cheap one, don't think it is even possible to practice at all with the one in question, it couldn't hover, totally erratic, just goes where it wanted to.

Then my other friend got a Parrot 2, it's definitely a step up, and that could be used as sound practice, but that will set me back about £400 I think.

The Syma is a great started drone to learn on and it's about the same size as a Phantom.
2017-3-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your crash. For a beginner, I would not fly at night and only fly in a LARGE open area and not close to the ground.
Also, in inexpensive drone like a Syma is a great way to start.
2017-3-6
Use props
Bnmjy1
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-6 11:58
Sorry for your crash. For a beginner, I would not fly at night and only fly in a LARGE open area and not close to the ground.
Also, in inexpensive drone like a Syma is a great way to start.

Thanks for the reply, Ken, I will have a look at the Syma  drone see how reasonable it is.

But how I bought this drone was, well I wasn't even interested in drones at all, I think I'm going to speak on behalf of millions of people now, but when I seen the Mavic, I was sold instantly, I was like take my money I want my hands in this thing from the future! Haha

So yeah I just had to buy the Mavic, it's a great piece of technology.
2017-3-6
Use props
garnets88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 286611 ft
United States

You are not alone. I am sure every new drone pilot will have a bad moment.
2017-3-6
Use props
Kalibr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 59416 ft
United States

My recommendation to any novice is to fly in Beginner Mode until you become accustomed to the aircraft and the controls. And, definitely, do not fly indoors!
2017-3-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Bnmjy1 Posted at 2017-3-6 12:22
Thanks for the reply, Ken, I will have a look at the Syma  drone see how reasonable it is.

But how I bought this drone was, well I wasn't even interested in drones at all, I think I'm going to speak on behalf of millions of people now, but when I seen the Mavic, I was sold instantly, I was like take my money I want my hands in this thing from the future! Haha

The Mavic brought out tens of thousands of people who never know anything about drones. That's how amazing and cool the Mavic is, everyone wanted one. The ordering webpage kept crashing for several days trying to keep up with the amount of orders. They were selling for up to $3,000 on Ebay because people didn't want to wait.
DJI really knocked it out of the park with the Mavic.

The Syma is ubder $75 and really does fly well.
2017-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules