New GPS module arrived today amazing
1893 19 2017-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dr Jon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

I have the DJI external GPS module as i needed a very accurate location. The iPad was always +/- 1 metre this is now +/- 100cm. I tried walkabout and the GPS home location was excellent.

GPS module fitted on R/C

GPS module fitted on R/C
2017-3-3
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

I know that I'm getting on a bit, but "The iPad was always +/- 1 metre this is now +/- 100cm." doesn't seem like that much of an improvement?  
2017-3-3
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
China

Farnk666 Posted at 2017-3-3 23:54
I know that I'm getting on a bit, but "The iPad was always +/- 1 metre this is now +/- 100cm." doesn't seem like that much of an improvement?

sorry numbers have an extra zero; this is based on the GPS data its showing on the screen with iPad and then with GPS module. I don't want to use an expensive Ipad with GPS / GSM when i don't need to buy one.  

The reason this is for another project i'm working on as i need the GPS data from the module  plugged in one R/C which will be sent to another that is really controlling the A/C.
2017-3-4
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-3-4 00:27
sorry numbers have an extra zero; this is based on the GPS data its showing on the screen with iPad and then with GPS module. I don't want to use an expensive Ipad with GPS / GSM when i don't need to buy one.  

The reason this is for another project i'm working on as i need the GPS data from the module  plugged in one R/C which will be sent to another that is really controlling the A/C.

Is there a CAN bus connector on the cable? Like to plug in my focus as well and there is only one port on the RC.
2017-3-4
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
China

YES its a module halfway down the cable from the GPS module, fits by velcro under the port module on the R/C
2017-3-4
Use props
raven4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 86194 ft
United States

wow, I've been waiting since January for mine to ship.
2017-3-4
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

I was waiting since December I gave up last week and cancelled the order "they keep putting the shipping date back 1 week at a time"
2017-3-4
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Australia

Jon, Does the Tablet extender fit the IPad pro 12.9 inch? 220.6mm height?
2017-3-4
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
China

Coigreach Posted at 2017-3-4 07:45
Jon, Does the Tablet extender fit the IPad pro 12.9 inch? 220.6mm height?

I measure the gap at 222mm but you would have to insert the iPad in sideways because of the retaining segment at the top of the extender and of course you cant have the back case fitted. The top clip is very thick so you could remove an odd millimetre and make it any easier fit. It was only a few $ from ebay and works perfect with my 9.7" iPad Pro. Only problem is COG is now way off so you need to be careful when you use a neck strap.
2017-3-4
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Australia

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-3-4 17:54
I measure the gap at 222mm but you would have to insert the iPad in sideways because of the retaining segment at the top of the extender and of course you cant have the back case fitted. The top clip is very thick so you could remove an odd millimetre and make it any easier fit. It was only a few $ from ebay and works perfect with my 9.7" iPad Pro. Only problem is COG is now way off so you need to be careful when you use a neck strap.

Did you get this form ebay? I have seen the smaller ones only but won't fit the IPad pro 12.9'
Thanks
Karl
2017-3-4
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
China

I buy from Tabao here in China and i have seen exactly the same thing on ebay from same supplier. i will try to find later today.
2017-3-4
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi. Dr. Jon. I need some help understanding exactly what this does - if you dont mind:Is there not a GPS Receiver in the Remote Controller?
Is this accessory a complete GPS Receiver, or is it an external Antennae for the exising receiver?

Thanks!
Allan

2017-3-9
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
China

allanart Posted at 2017-3-9 00:35
Hi. Dr. Jon. I need some help understanding exactly what this does - if you dont mind:Is there not a GPS Receiver in the Remote Controller?
Is this accessory a complete GPS Receiver, or is it an external Antennae for the exising receiver?

Its a complete GPS receiver with a much higher accuracy than that in the R/C or even the iPad. The iPad is +/- 1 meter this is better than 200 cm.

As an example if your in a chasing car mode and you need to A/C to come "home" you can even get it to land on the roof of the car you are using as it will track the forward motion of the GPS almost in real time. I have used it to land on a speed boat when it was in motion all i needed to do was bring it down and the forward motion was controlled by the GPS information being sent. For the cost involved i like it very much, but i suppose it depends on your needs. For some reason all my assignments involve some sort of action or motion. I'm sure you get the idea.
2017-3-9
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the clarification Dr Jon - much appreciated.
Do you know for sure if there is actually a GPS Receiver in the R/C? Its occurred to me that the system *might* be relying entirely on the GPS in the A/C. I use an iPad Mini2 which doesn't have GPS. I'll probably buy the Ext GPS option when I place my next order..
Thanks again for your help!
Allan
2017-3-9
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
China

allanart Posted at 2017-3-9 03:21
Thanks for the clarification Dr Jon - much appreciated.
Do you know for sure if there is actually a GPS Receiver in the R/C? Its occurred to me that the system *might* be relying entirely on the GPS in the A/C. I use an iPad Mini2 which doesn't have GPS. I'll probably buy the Ext GPS option when I place my next order..
Thanks again for your help!

There is NO GPS in the R/C it relies on the mobile device if it has one. The A/C has its own of course and the GPS module will tell the A/C where is home. If this just happens to be a moving target then the GPS module is a worthy investment.
2017-3-9
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-3-9 02:28
Its a complete GPS receiver with a much higher accuracy than that in the R/C or even the iPad. The iPad is +/- 1 meter this is better than 200 cm.

As an example if your in a chasing car mode and you need to A/C to come "home" you can even get it to land on the roof of the car you are using as it will track the forward motion of the GPS almost in real time. I have used it to land on a speed boat when it was in motion all i needed to do was bring it down and the forward motion was controlled by the GPS information being sent. For the cost involved i like it very much, but i suppose it depends on your needs. For some reason all my assignments involve some sort of action or motion. I'm sure you get the idea.

Dr Jon, re: higher accuracy, I am a bit confused about this statement, you are indicating the iPad has +/- 1 meter, so that would be within 200 cm, so how accurate is the GPS module? In order for it to be better it needs to be less then 200cm? Am I misunderstanding?  
2017-3-9
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
China

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-3-9 06:29
Dr Jon, re: higher accuracy, I am a bit confused about this statement, you are indicating the iPad has +/- 1 meter, so that would be within 200 cm, so how accurate is the GPS module? In order for it to be better it needs to be less then 200cm? Am I misunderstanding?

20cm sorry...
2017-3-9
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Wow, 20cm accuracy that is amazing, Will order for sure. Thank you for the clarification.  
2017-3-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Good to hear it's working out for you,
2017-3-10
Use props
Dr Jon
lvl.4
China

One minor thing, when you attach the GPS module it needs a short time to provide an accurate location and you need to be in open sky to get a real fix. (DJI logo facing the sky)
I find its best to turn on the R/C with the GPS module fitted first. Then go prepare the I2 for flight and do all your safety  checks. You can then look at the GPS display of the mobile device and you should see both R/C and the I2 sharing the same location. Sometimes takes a minute or two for this to fully align especially if you have moved a significant distance from the last time you used it. If you zoom in on the GPS map you will see how accurate the GPS module behaves.
2017-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules