Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
App crash during flight?
1883 28 2017-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneSmeg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

I had a weird experience yesterday. Mid-flight, my device screen went black. I could exit the app and see that it was the app playing up and not my device. Anyway, eventually, the app screen returned, but grey with no live feed from the camera. I wasn't overly concerned about the drone, as it was in visual range and I saw that I still had connection via the controller. Camera view wouldn't return, though, until I shut down the app and restarted it. Has this happened to anyone else?
2017-3-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha DroneSmeg,

Yes, it is all your friend's fault!  You guys.  

Actually, some of us are having similar problems.  I know I am but it is entirely manageable.  The weird thing for me is it usually happens when I have landed or am about to land.  Not a real problem because I still have stick command, just no video.  So, I land.  It might be my parabolics blocking my signal.

It appears that severe interference issues are causing the app to crash.  DJI is working on it and the best we can do at this time is restart the app.

What is your device and OS version?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-4
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Yup happened to me.
2017-3-4
Use props
DroneSmeg
Second Officer
Taiwan

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-4 01:58
Aloha DroneSmeg,

Yes, it is all your friend's fault!  You guys.  

Ok, so it is occurring to others and DJI is aware of it. Cool.

I'm using HTC m9 running Android 6.0
2017-3-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

What are you flying?
2017-3-4
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Taiwan

Dronesmeg and I are flying P3S
2017-3-4
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

What device are you using to run the app?
2017-3-4
Use props
DroneSmeg
Second Officer
Taiwan

Maxxgold Posted at 2017-3-4 07:46
What device are you using to run the app?

I mentioned that earlier in the thread.
2017-3-4
Use props
JackA
First Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

P3S, Nividia K1 Android 5.X GO APP 3.1.3 FW 1.8.10  I was experiencing "APP Crash" pretty frequently so decided to change my Android device from a tablet running Android 4.2 to an Nvidia K1.  So far I have had no APP Crashes.  I still see the occasional interference warning but have not lost control or video link yet.  I did strip the Nvidia K1 of all the unneeded APPS and turned off every thing that I could find that was not needed by the GO APP.  One good feature of the Nvidia K1 is that it does not have many Bloat APPs included.  In fact I think Google Play was more to blame than the manufacturer, because after the initial sign in to Google APP Store, all their name branded APPs appeared...
2017-3-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Okay P3S, Android, the 2.4 FPV is almost certainly causing the crash which is probably obvious already.  Solution is to get a better Android with more memory.  I used to have my app crash all the time.  It almost always crashed at the edge of 2.4 range as it tried to deal with the pixelating FPV.  I now use the Nvidia Shield K1 and have had only one app crash in the past several months.  Android Marshmallow 6.0.  
2017-3-4
Use props
DroneSmeg
Second Officer
Taiwan

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-4 08:44
Okay P3S, Android, the 2.4 FPV is almost certainly causing the crash which is probably obvious already.  Solution is to get a better Android with more memory.  I used to have my app crash all the time.  It almost always crashed at the edge of 2.4 range as it tried to deal with the pixelating FPV.  I now use the Nvidia Shield K1 and have had only one app crash in the past several months.  Android Marshmallow 6.0.

My phone has tons of memory and marshmallow, so it can't only be that.
2017-3-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Tons of memory does not necessarily equal better Android.  

As you can see from this listing, your phone is not a proven device to use with the Go app:  http://www.phantomhelp.com/Tips/18/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go

I suggest you try a device that is either recommended by DJI or recommended by PhantomHelp.

2017-3-4
Use props
DroneSmeg
Second Officer
Taiwan

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-4 10:17
Tons of memory does not necessarily equal better Android.  

As you can see from this listing, your phone is not a proven device to use with the Go app:  http://www.phantomhelp.com/Tips/18/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go

The list isn't a "proven" device list, only a list of recommended devices. It isn't exclusive or exhaustive.  How could it be with all the models out there and constantly being released. The name on the device isn't as important as the components inside it. As far as that is concerned, my phone has an eight core processor and 3 gigs of ram. This is very current and quite a bit more than necessary to run the app. I also run the latest Android version available for my device.

It has performed well until this one anomalous event. Also, the drone wasn't at the edge of range when the crash occurred either. It was actually quite close to home.

I don't think your diagnosis here is correct.
2017-3-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

I suspect the pilots who are using devices recommended by DJI are not having the problems you're having.  What can we conclude from this?  I leave it to you.
2017-3-4
Use props
DroneSmeg
Second Officer
Taiwan

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-4 10:55
I suspect the pilots who are using devices recommended by DJI are not having the problems you're having.  What can we conclude from this?  I leave it to you.

Look, I appreciate your attempt to be helpful, but seriously, stop doubling down.

For one, your description --i.e., on the edge of range-- doesn't match with the symptoms of what happened in my case.  

Two, someone else has already chimed in and said that there is a problem and DJI are working on it. His description-- landing or about to land-- also more closely resembles what happened.

Third, component-wise, my device is equal to or better than most on the list you keep mentioning. Performance has not been an issue. It doesn't get hot, run slowly or behave strangely when running DJI Go. When the app acted up, I was also able to easily enter and exit the app, check wifi connection and other things. The phone was not laggy or slow. That is how I know it was the app only.

You'll forgive me if I don't go out and spend hundreds of USD because you alone said so.
2017-3-4
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

Sorry for not reading through the thread to see what your device was.

I use an Ipad mini 2, and I have no issues, and I haven't had even one app disconnect problem. Hopefully that will continue, but. If I were you, I would get a device that works, as the device you are using now, clearly is having problems. You can put your head in the mud and tell us  how awesome your device is all you want too, but the bottom line is that I wouldn't want to fly my drone with a device that loses connection.  
2017-3-4
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

DroneSmeg Posted at 2017-3-4 11:14
Look, I appreciate your attempt to be helpful, but seriously, stop doubling down.

For one, your description --i.e., on the edge of range-- doesn't match with the symptoms of what happened in my case.  

Before going to my Nexus 7, 2nd.gen tablet. I used a HTC ONE M8 (not on their list) and it worked just fine last year with the Go app. Now I haven't used it much in the last seven months as I use the tablet exclusive now. So I haven't tested it with the last few versions of Go, but it did work well from Feb. 2016 up till July 2016 when I got the tablet.
2017-3-4
Use props
Focus4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2436886 ft
United States

I fly my personal P4 with an iPad Air 2. In several hundred flights I have experienced an app crash one time. It was mid-flight and I relaunched the app within seconds. It never affected the flight nor my control of the craft. BUT, in the flight records, the first part of the flight ended 266' AGL at 20 mph. The next 500 feet of flight was unrecorded (this was concurrent with the app crash). Upon relaunching of the app, the remainder of the flight was recorded as a completely separate flight. I have no idea why it hiccuped, and it hasn't done it again.
2017-3-6
Use props
fans3a4a8a1c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 163301 ft
United States

The same thing is happening to me to gentlemen and I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus. My brand new phantom advance will only go no more than 1000 feet tops before I lose video reception and then triggers the RTH. I don't know what to do!!!
2017-3-13
Use props
DroneSmeg
Second Officer
Taiwan

fans3a4a8a1c Posted at 2017-3-13 21:06
The same thing is happening to me to gentlemen and I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus. My brand new phantom advance will only go no more than 1000 feet tops before I lose video reception and then triggers the RTH. I don't know what to do!!!

My issue doesn't sound like yours. It was a weird anomaly where the app just suddenly shut and when it came back on, the camera view wasn't working until I restarted the app. Anyway, it only happened once and hasn't happened since, so I'm writing it off as some non-defined glitch.
2017-3-14
Use props
fans66d40b4c
lvl.3
United States

Ok my turn to Chime in here I am using the K1 Shield that is recommended, How ever also flying the P4 and love it. But recently was forced to up grade the Go app.
Now Like the guy was saying above The App just stopped working and I had to use the RTH button to bring her home safe.
So DJI needs to figure out what the heck is going on. We all know IOS is good but a lot of us are droid users
So DJI just needs to hurry with a fix. Some of us fly to make an income. But if DJI is going to keep changing go APPS they need to be tested before release.
Ron   
2017-3-15
Use props
fredq2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

P3P, Samsung Tab S2, Android 6.01, DJI Go 3.1.3. I used to have app crashes and tablet restarts which were pretty alarming (losing FPV) so I backed up the tablet and wiped it, then selectively reinstalled apps. Problem went away.
2017-3-15
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Taiwan

I found that deleting my Phones Cache helped a lot. The app also stores video on your phone. I delete all that also.

Seems to help.
2017-3-15
Use props
fans00ac0998
New

Spain

Nvidia shield k1, app 3.1.3, phantom3pro 1.10.90, RC 1.8.0. App crashing every now and then since upgrade, but that's not the worse: almost impossible to receive any clear video at all since RC upgrade, no downgrade possible. As you can guess, I'm not very happy... {:4_154:}
2017-3-19
Use props
SioÜ
lvl.1

Hey guys!!!
I watch the thread with great interest...
I also experienced an app crash but unfortunately for me the drone was lost.
Here how things happened.
At 1930 local time i took off with the appropriate home point.
After approximately 07 min of flights while i was adjusting the shutter speed taking photos at about 80m altitude and distance 110m the app crashed.Moreover i was not able to acquire it visually.
I dont know if the lights went off or not...but the fact is i could not have a visual contact.
I tried to move in order to acquire it, restart but without results...
The next thought was to simply wait until it RTH...But it did not came back within 15 min.
So i climbed to a higher place to seek it...
I finally saw it far away but i could not say with precision the distance it was...that was a posit i never expected to see...
Shortly the drone began its emergency landing inside poulated area...
I run towards it in order to see that noone was harmed...
I searched there and the day after but with no result.
The drone is lost but fortunately noone was harmed...
Be careful...guys
2018-10-16
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Captain
Flight distance : 3372566 ft

DroneSmeg Posted at 2017-3-14 00:05
My issue doesn't sound like yours. It was a weird anomaly where the app just suddenly shut and when it came back on, the camera view wasn't working until I restarted the app. Anyway, it only happened once and hasn't happened since, so I'm writing it off as some non-defined glitch.

I had that same issue last week. So far every time it had lost signal I would get the camera view back when RTH kicked in and it regained signal. Last week for the first time ever, it didn't get the camera view back. I got scared because I'm waiting and waiting and no camera view, thought I had lost it at first, was just about to start packing up and go try and find it when I heard it coming back. No video feed until after it landed and I restarted the drone and controller.
2018-10-16
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

SioÜ Posted at 2018-10-16 20:24
Hey guys!!!
I watch the thread with great interest...
I also experienced an app crash but unfortunately for me the drone was lost.

Even if you lose the app, you still have control of the drone.
It sounds like your drone was just hovering because you gave it no control input.
You could have flown it back or initiated RTH with the controller.
Or as a last resort, you could have switched off the controller which would also have initiated RTH.
2018-10-16
Use props
SioÜ
lvl.1

Greece

Labroides Posted at 2018-10-16 22:45
Even if you lose the app, you still have control of the drone.
It sounds like your drone was just hovering because you gave it no control input.
You could have flown it back or initiated RTH with the controller.

My friend I have a flying experience of  1500 hours.
There is nothing you said and did not do it...
After loosing contact I did no inputs to the controller in order to have a SA where the drone is left hovering...
The strange is that I hit the RTH button but nothing happened, moreover the controller did not make the characteristic RTH sound.
My friend I lost a drone without my fault.
The company gives me back 30% of the drone cost.
That is the story.
Once again guys BE CAREFUL in URBAN environment
2018-10-28
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

SioÜ Posted at 2018-10-28 00:14
My friend I have a flying experience of  1500 hours.
There is nothing you said and did not do it...
After loosing contact I did no inputs to the controller in order to have a SA where the drone is left hovering...

The strange is that I hit the RTH button but nothing happened, moreover the controller did not make the characteristic RTH sound.
If you have really lost control signal, hitting the RTH button won't initiate RTH so that's not strange at all.
But if the drone initiates RTH and control signal is reconnected, hitting the RTH button will cancel RTH.
2018-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules