Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Are all P3S poor quality? Disappointing...
2134 35 2017-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Asparuh Nestoro
lvl.1
Flight distance : 195456 ft
Bulgaria

Hello all, I am staring that thread as I am about to return my freshly replaced P3S for a second time.
Before that I had another Phantom 3 standard and had to return it to DJI as it had jello (high frequency vibrations) all over the video and gimabal was tilted. However that previous quadcopter was much stable and much silent in flight that my current one. When I touch it it was much less vibrating but obviously the gimbal was not OK. The old one was flying smothly and more stable. Here it is the old one's video You can notice despite the jello it was fliging smoothly through the air.

I wrote to DJI and they replaced it with a new one. Now the gimbal seem perfect as there is no jello but a low frequency shaking instead which is noticeable when you look at the camera in flight.  That new one is noticeably more nervous in flight, more noisy, definitely shaky and do less smooth flight (even swings and turns along its yaw when descending). The result is now a jello free video but rather shaky and bumpy - example here When you touch its body you can feel those vibrations with hand and its visible when you look at the camera mount in flight - its shaking noticeable like in that video I could not film mine but it almost the same.

Please advice what can be done? Does all Phantom 3 have some kind of problem or all those are just poor quality? I tried balancing the propellers (even bought a special rod for that purpose) but there was just a slight reduce in shaking. I think one or two of the motors are imbalanced as it has vibrations even without propellers.   I have 3 years experience with DIY quadcopters so I did all I could to analize the problem and try to solve it but no luck so far.   Is it possible to access flight logs and check if vibrations are abnormal?  If it is possible to start the motors one by one I can try to balance them?

2017-3-4
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

There are thousands of happy Phantom 3 customers, me included that have no issues at all. So the short answer is NO.
2017-3-4
Use props
Brum Ken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

I also have no problems with my p3s performs very well
2017-3-4
Use props
crash1sttime
First Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

Got a mate who suffered from this, he tweaked the gains to reduce the jello and fitted an ND filter. but yes from what ive read it seems to be an issue that affects some but not all of the P3s units, most owners have sold the P3S and moved to the P3A,  on the subject of gimbal shake i do sometimes see it with my P3A but its not apparent on the videos.
2017-3-4
Use props
Steve-76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

I think your brain is Jell-O my Phantom 3 standard Works beautiful I think it's a bit a user error in not knowing how to calibrate everything if it's done right it works right. And if you expected Perfection why didn't you plug the 1600 down for a phantom 4 plus instead of the cheapest model
2017-3-4
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

My P3S works perfectly, every time all the time.
2017-3-4
Use props
Hoomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231394 ft
United States

I've had mine since late November last year, and it's been fantastic. I keep being amazed by how much the P3S does for a drone that costs under $500.
2017-3-4
Use props
Asparuh Nestoro
lvl.1
Bulgaria

In most of the comments you  do not talk about my problem but blame me that I am not ok. 500$ is not small amount for a quadcopter as I can make a DIY one for half of the amount so I expect a good quality paying double.

I post my videos - do you think my videos are ok and I should be pleased with that quality? If it is so - ok , I have just thought that DJI offer a better product. However if you see the problem in my videos then having 2 of 2 broken makes me think that DJI do not sell a good product.  
2017-3-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Asparuh Nestoro Posted at 2017-3-4 13:55
In most of the comments you  do not talk about my problem but blame me that I am not ok. 500$ is not small amount for a quadcopter as I can make a DIY one for half of the amount so I expect a good quality paying double.

I post my videos - do you think my videos are ok and I should be pleased with that quality? If it is so - ok , I have just thought that DJI offer a better product. However if you see the problem in my videos then having 2 of 2 broken makes me think that DJI do not sell a good product.
The last two clip will not play for some reason.

Have you fitted two of the clear plastic anti-drop pins or just two?

2017-3-4
Use props
Asparuh Nestoro
lvl.1
Bulgaria

Anti-drop pins are just 2

That is the video with my current quadcopter
2017-3-4
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
United States

Asparuh Nestoro Posted at 2017-3-4 14:19

That is the video with my current quadcopter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glqkb1dajIM

Re-cal the gimbal, re-cal the IMU, re-balance the props, replace the two pins with loose fitting nylon ties.
2017-3-4
Use props
Hoomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231394 ft
United States

Asparuh Nestoro Posted at 2017-3-4 13:55

I was addressing your topic title question, on whether all Phantom 3 Standards were of poor quality.

I don't have a suggestion on what to do about the problem you're having. However, the quality of mine has been fine, so no, it's not all of them.
2017-3-5
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

I am amazed at the amout of tech you get for the price with the P3S. Mine was a used unit but tickety boo.

The first thing I would suspect is one of your props being out of balance. Have you tried a different set of props?
2017-3-5
Use props
TheDennisWagner
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136273 ft
United States

Remember the old saying: "You get what you pay for.".. but in this case you get far more than you pay for. I think they are a steal for $399. I have two that work perfectly. They are worth that much in parts, and that's kinda why I bought them. I can use the parts on my P3A's. You will not find a better drone on the market for the money. It actually flies, can live stream and shoot HD video and 12 MP still pictures for way under $500.

Are you bending the props or something?

If you want a better video with the best flying experience buy an Inspire. They fly smoother.
2017-3-5
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Asparuh Nestoro Posted at 2017-3-4 14:19

That is the video with my current quadcopter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glqkb1dajIM

Regarding you last two videos of the current issue in Post #1, they incurred an error, so i'm unable to review them. With the video in Post #10, I don't really see an issue with the footage. Could you happen to shorten the video and indicate where to better identify the problem?
2017-3-5
Use props
eliot may
lvl.4
Flight distance : 245367 ft
United States

I have loved my p3s. No problems
2017-3-6
Use props
DroneSmeg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

No issues with the drone itself. It's my fave toy. It amazes me what it does for the money.
2017-3-6
Use props
Churubusco
Second Officer
Flight distance : 36 ft

United States

Have two P3S both perform flawlessly. Read everything i could about them rather than experiment. Performed all calibrations. Very enjoyable first flights.
2017-3-6
Use props
chainmon
Captain
Flight distance : 2624892 ft
  • >>>
United States

Asparuh,
My P3S vidoe and gimbal work fine. As someone else suggested try changing rpops first to see if that helps with shake. I have not experienced Jelly with mine. I have only had it since nov 2016 and flown just under 50 times
a very short 17 second video of my footage.

2017-3-6
Use props
Betamace
First Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

Mine works great. Considering the price point and number of features and functions, it's really a good deal.
2017-3-6
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Steve-76 Posted at 2017-3-4 12:26
I think your brain is Jell-O my Phantom 3 standard Works beautiful I think it's a bit a user error in not knowing how to calibrate everything if it's done right it works right. And if you expected Perfection why didn't you plug the 1600 down for a phantom 4 plus instead of the cheapest model

That's not a very nice reply is it.

First video shows slight jello .... similar to what mine had because camera leg was incorrectly mounted ... I fixed it myself.

He reckons replacement P3S vibrates and sounds different to first .... that in itself says somethings not right.

Nigel
2017-3-6
Use props
Knobbynomates
First Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

Clearly there's something not right with yours but 'All P3S poor quality' is incorrect. My P3S is excellent and flies like a dream. Have you tried a new set of props all round rather than trying to 'balance them'?  How many drop pins do you have fitted? Something's wrong with yours unfortunately. Nigel (solentlife) usually has some good ideas - give us more info EDIT: I see you have only 2 drop pins, sorry
2017-3-6
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Lets look at how you can get vibration and bad sound ...

1. Damaged props ... any mishap that causes a prop to strike something can lead to problems ... prop may look OK but flexing may show up a weakness in one or other.
2. Unbalanced props ...
3. Cracked motor mount area - look underneath round the screws carefully for hairline cracks.
4. One or more motors screws loose or not tightened down well. They should ideally be secured with BLUE Loctite to prevent loosening over time. Do not use RED or other as BLUE allows maintenance later.
5. Dirty or 'gritty' motors where sand or other may have got into windings etc. General blowing in fact can drive it deeper so careful removal of screws, lift motor and blow out the crap ... then a light machine oil on the back bearings. Replace motors tightening down evenly.
6. Wrong screws used if prop guards removed - longer screws may be just catching internals of motors.
7. Motors may just be bad ... nothings perfect even of a production line.
8. Loose legs, fittings etc.

Anything else anyone else can think of ?

Nigel
2017-3-6
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Steve-76 Posted at 2017-3-4 12:26

He needs to learn to adjust the gimble tilt and left rudder to slow them both.

Then he will get a smoother tilt and rotation.  I have gimble tilt set at 25 and left rudder at 20.

2017-3-6
Use props
JackA
First Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

Asparuh Nestoro:  In your last video I do not see a problem.  The video quality is about as good as I would expect from a Phantom 3 Standard.  If you can reduce the vibrations you are observing please post how to accomplished it here so we all can learn from your experience.
2017-3-6
Use props
Rob Weeks 9
lvl.1

United States

I Knew that you would be impossible to please after reading your last post about this issue. The post where no one else could see the problem but you yet somehow you got dji to send you a new one anyways. Some people are just not possible to please. Particularly the type of person who buys the cheapest model drone a company offers and picks it apart as though they have made this huge investment. Get outta here with that. Nothing was wrong with the first one and theirs nothing wrong with the second one.
2017-3-9
Use props
DronerX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 488192 ft
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2017-3-4 14:30
Re-cal the gimbal, re-cal the IMU, re-balance the props, replace the two pins with loose fitting nylon ties.

I'm also a newbie.  Where do you find instructions on re-calibrating the IMU and gimbal?
2017-3-14
Use props
Goafer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46247 ft
United Kingdom

I too question the quality of the P3S. I had to take my first one back with focus and gimbal issues. I'm hoping that I was just unlucky with the first one (my current one seems fine), but it has knocked my confidence in the build quality a bit, especially after seeing how many people had issues when I googled the problems.
2017-3-14
Use props
RtinTN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 469734 ft

United States

Rough crowd.
Try adjusting the gains in the settings.
Make sure you write down the factory settings though.
And dont adjust the more than 10%.
I only watched the first video, and I did notice the jello.
There are a lot of Richards on here that want to criticize instead of help.
I sent you a message.also.
2017-3-14
Use props
Gstan30117
lvl.4
Flight distance : 228645 ft
United States

I have found that in my raw footage there is an abundance of "stuttering and shaking " etc. But after I run it through a video editor (Wondershare's Filmora) all of that is gone. I love my P3S and just made $900 on a video compilation.
2017-3-14
Use props
TXBiker63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 253 ft

United States

The standard is not so much poor quality as it is entry level. The advance is a lot better than the standard and so on. You get what you pay for in camera quads. Even different manufacturers follow that idea. My yuneeq Q500 is their entry level but a step above the standard as far as video quality. There's plusses and minuses you have to decide what you can live with or go big from the start.
2017-3-14
Use props
Poop Chute
lvl.1

United States

The Phantom 3 Standard 9 is a fine aircraft.  It is essentially an upgraded Vision+ (originally $1259) for only $499 (or less).  The camera is much improved over the V+, as are the avionics, power, & propulsion systems.  With the additions of the Litchi software you can program extremely complex and long range flights & capture some amazing shots.  I have a pair of P3 Standards in my fleet & love both.

2017-3-14
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Taiwan

That footage is simply stunning.  I was sort of dumbfounded but again this is a well planned mission where you know the way points and heights to fly from.
I am not using litchi yet and still enjoy my free flying in the upper atmosphere.  Now at low light level the P3S camera does need to be manually adjusted on the ISO or you can do it post edit.
As I am a numpty on editing this is just raw unedited footage.  Anyways I am learning editing now so better clips can be uploaded. I have lots of content waiting to be used.

2017-3-14
Use props
WilliamM
First Officer
United States

DronerX Posted at 2017-3-14 13:11
I'm also a newbie.  Where do you find instructions on re-calibrating the IMU and gimbal?

The online manual, where else?
Look on this page. http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-standard/info#downloads

2017-3-15
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Taiwan

WilliamM Posted at 2017-3-15 07:17
The online manual, where else?
Look on this page. http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-standard/info#downloads

You download the PDF file and give it a thorough read.
2017-3-15
Use props
Maxi3D
Captain
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

My P3S is also running fine. Have you tightened the screws on the motor mounts?
2017-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules