Sony Xperia XZ incompatible with Phantom 3 Adv?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans0c72b373
lvl.1
Flight distance : 223468 ft
Canada

I recently upgraded my phone to a Sony Xperia XZ, with Android 7.0. Since then I cannot connect the phone to my Phantom 3 Advanced.

When I turn everything on and open the DJI Go app, the Phantom 3 Advanced screen just shows "How to Connect".

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Go app. I have restarted my phone. I have ensured that USB debugging is turned on. I have upgraded the P3 firmware to the latest version. I have tried several USB cables, including the original. Nothing works.

Is there anything else I can do? Or is my phone just incompatible with DJI? I have seen others on the forum that have the same problem with a Sony Xperia X Performance and an XZ. Has anybody used this combo successfully?

2017-3-4
Use props
SimonH78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi,

I use the Sony Xperia X and my P3A with no problems works really well
2017-3-4
Use props
Viridis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2383556 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's the X, the XZ is not compatible with dji controllers
2017-3-7
Use props
SimonH78
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

True but the X is not on the list either but works great - I'm sure the XZ is a better device than the Z3 one listed here -
Android: Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, SONY Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD.

Check the turn-on routine - TX then DRONE then APP... see what happens. also check the cable used !!
2017-3-7
Use props
orerocks99
lvl.1
Canada

Thanks. I think I have tried all the permutations, resets, cables, I can think of. I have used the same aircraft with Sony Xperia Z1 and Z5 phones with no problem. Hopefully support can provide assistance. @SimonH78 does your X have Android 7?
2017-3-8
Use props
SimonH78
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes its running Android 7
2017-3-9
Use props
Ben_san
New
Flight distance : 37510 ft
United States

Hi, Following the thread... I had a Xperia M now a Xperia XZ and I can't connect to the remote, I have exactly the same issue and tried everyting.  But the very first time I tried the phone detects the remote. Since then, nothing. Will there be an update for these phone ? I've heard that it comes from the USB-C cable...
2017-3-10
Use props
orerocks99
lvl.1
Canada

Here's the response from DJI support: unhelpful. I think you might be right about the USB-C issue.
Thanks for the response,

Basically there could be a compatibility issue with the Mobile Device that you're using. Currently not all android devices
are supported by DJI Go App. You might want to try to use a different device which is in Recommended list.
Please see below.

Here is a list of compatible devices:
iOS:
iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPod touch 6, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular,
iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular,
iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular.
*This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.

Android:
Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, SONY Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD
*Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues.

2017-3-11
Use props
SimonH78
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

All i know is my current Xperia X i use is fine and so was my earlier phone a Xperia M also worked....on my Advance it does say - *Support for additional Android devices available - if it runs the app it should connect??
2017-3-12
Use props
orerocks99
lvl.1
Canada

I contacted Sony support and received their standard response:

In regards to your inquiry, we are sorry to hear you're having trying to connect a device with your phone, unfortunately we do not recommend 100% compatibility with third party devices or Apps.
Guess I have to buy a new phone just for my drone.
2017-3-17
Use props
SimonH78
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I also lent a friends Xperia XZ and that works also it must be your cable that's dodgy !! - or they way you turn them all on.
2017-3-17
Use props
Hpehlivan
New
Flight distance : 49442 ft
Turkey

XZ not working...
2017-4-2
Use props
Mitcon
lvl.2
Australia

Might be a silly question and irrelevant but have any of you tried changing USB input protocols? Normally when connecting to a computer or device it goes by default in charging mode or MTP (media transfer protocol) and selecting/toggling to PTP (picture transfer protocol)? I was having similar issues getting my Samsung Tab A to work with my P3P, after playing with different developer options and trying different cables all sorts of different start-up/boot sequences and was about to give up.

Then for some reason trying MTP to PTP or other way round it connects right away then and camera button turns blue and is good to go.
2017-4-2
Use props
fanse27e4c17
New
Flight distance : 4406 ft
France

Hi, i've just made my first flight yesterday with a Sony Xperia XZ, all worked fine for 15mn, and the app Dji Go 4 freezed... and my phone was impossible to use... the mavic was near but no respond to any action.... Finally respond by press the "pause" button on remote... pfff. Now i'm looking for the reason it freezed.. Regard Jean-Claude
2017-4-22
Use props
SimonH78
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Go4 app prob does needs more grunt - were talking about the normal Go app running a P3 Advance and the Xperia X phone works great - no problems.
2017-4-22
Use props
orerocks99
lvl.1
Canada

Still struggling with this. Just got Android 7.1.1 update on my Xperia XZ so I tried everything again. DJI GO still unresponsive. Tried different boot sequences. Tried all the PTP-MTP-Charging protocol settings, in different combinations. Tried USB debugging on & off. Worked through lots of the other Developer Mode Options. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Nothing. It sounds like it works for some people, so I wish them well, but I'm not going to chase it.

Xperia Z1 and Xperia Z5 both worked fine. Plugged in a friend's Samsung Galaxy Note 4 running Android 6 and DJI Go works perfectly without changing any settings. So I picked up a used NVIDIA Shield K1 tab running Android 7.0, and DJI Go seems to work flawlessly too with no settings changes, so it's now my new flight controller.

It's about time DJI supported a larger selection of modern Android phones.
2017-4-25
Use props
ibrahim cengiz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 165007 ft
Turkey

is this problem related with android 7 or sony xperia xz?
2017-4-27
Use props
JC Mch
New
Flight distance : 4406 ft
France

orerocks99 Posted at 2017-4-25 07:40
Still struggling with this. Just got Android 7.1.1 update on my Xperia XZ so I tried everything again. DJI GO still unresponsive. Tried different boot sequences. Tried all the PTP-MTP-Charging protocol settings, in different combinations. Tried USB debugging on & off. Worked through lots of the other Developer Mode Options. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Nothing. It sounds like it works for some people, so I wish them well, but I'm not going to chase it.

Xperia Z1 and Xperia Z5 both worked fine. Plugged in a friend's Samsung Galaxy Note 4 running Android 6 and DJI Go works perfectly without changing any settings. So I picked up a used NVIDIA Shield K1 tab running Android 7.0, and DJI Go seems to work flawlessly too with no settings changes, so it's now my new flight controller.

I'm in the same configuration with Sony Xperia XZ and mine freeze after 15mn, 2 tests on 2... perhaps you right, time for me to change to an iPad mini 2... thx.
2017-5-2
Use props
djiuser_DY8LGig
New
Flight distance : 15804 ft
Philippines

My Xperia XZs too won't work. I guess this is because of the new usb type c right? I was forced to buy a used Ipad Mini 2 and it works like charm. I just hope DJI will include the Xperia XZ series in their supported devices.
2017-8-12
Use props
hward51
lvl.1
Flight distance : 144 ft

United States

Had the same problem.  Ditched Go App. and try Litchi on the phone, or Get a Nvidia Shield K1 tablet and Litchi.  You'll be a lot happier.
2017-8-14
Use props
clarkey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 860243 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had a similar experience with an android device. Turn off the Cache to device in the menu... this worked for me. Just means you can't edit the pics/vids in the Dji app easily...

Also on my phantom 3 pro I had to go by a strange routine, where I turned controller on, then aircraft, plugged in cables and worked fine.... Any other way wouldn't work???
2017-9-1
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

People also tend to forget that Official Google Android is only up to 6.x ..... later versions are 3rd party and only have to comply with certain parameters to use the Android system ... and is why you have all these silly names like Jellybean etc. Each brands version has small differences that can make or break it working with other items.
It is not uncommon for various apps / devices to not work with higher versions of Android than 6 ...

Personally I chose the Nexus 7 vers 2 - as that uses Official Google ASUS Android ...

Nigel
2017-9-1
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

See video latest fw - Xperia X (model F5121) connecting just fine, and flies just fine as well  - phone spec the Xperia XZ has a similar XZ-phone-spec
- these are more than capable of running the GO3 app with no problems -

2017-9-3
Use props
djiuser_nu3xLo8
New

South Africa

Buying a new phone is not the solution for me, will return the drone for a refund
2017-9-9
Use props
djiuser_nu3xLo8
New

South Africa

Will return my Spark for a refund. Buying a device just for the DJI sounds like a bad option
2017-9-9
Use props
fans565c979d
New

New Zealand

Similar issue. Sony Xz f8331 and p4p no connection.
2017-9-24
Use props
Tonynorge
New

Japan

I have Sony xperia xz1 AND When i try to find the wifi from my drone.. my mobile try to find THE IP adresse... when i think is connected then try again..... and again.....
When THE drone is ni THE air... sometimes loose the connection...
Any help please?
2018-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules