Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How old are Inspire 1 or 2 Pilots "Vote"
123Next >
5321 86 2017-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Okay I wanted to see if we are different from all the rest....

How Old are You? and why do you have the Inspire series of drones vs the other Phantom and Mavic flyers !

Tell us your short story and how long have you been a flying photographer?  Please vote in the poll and have some fun!

I have been building and flying model aircraft since the age of 7 years old. My brother got me started and he left for the Navy. I never stopped having fun with this hobby. I pursued full size aircraft after graduation from High School completing my single engine land pilot license in my first year of college. The years that followed ending up with lots of ratings including commercial Rotorwing and Chief Pilot of Flight instruction.  I had a Pitts Special S-1D aerobatic plane that was used for sport flying. It was like owning a flying Ferrari with no cop cars to stop you. When DJI started producing Quad copper (Drones) it finally opened up the world of flying video cameras that I have always wanted to do. This has been so much fun learning and flying these machines and will never become boring to me.

Like many of us that participate in the forum, we come from many backgrounds to share our experiences. Please feel free to join in and tell us what got you started.

All the best
Rich
Single SelectVote, Total 185 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

4.86% (9)
18.38% (34)
21.62% (40)
22.16% (41)
21.62% (40)
7.03% (13)
4.32% (8)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-3-4
Use props
JonCahillPhoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15256 ft
United States

34 and on my first aerial device. I took flying lessons from 8-12 years of age, but this is less expensive (hanger space, fuel, insurance, et al). I partake in landscape photography and also to thermal inspections for work, which the Inspire 1v2 with XT helps in for building inspections.
2017-3-4
Use props
Highasakite
First Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

Hi Rich and Jon,  I am a 55 year old certified  pipe welder (TIG)  I also have a welding teacher certificate here in Pennsylvania. Well it all started out innocently enough 15 years ago with 3 channel helicopters then progressed  to 4 channel helicopters,  then 6 channel copters and from120 to 400 size copters. Then as the old eyes and reaction time slowed, I still wanted to fly and started with multirotors WLtoys and Hubsan, Walkera Tali H500 (JUNK) and the awesome Inspire 1 for 3 years. I still fly the Hubsan x4 indoors in the living room in the winter around the lamps and hanging plants for fun and that really keeps the skills sharp! Ken
2017-3-5
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

My name is donnie age 53  , I am a Capricorn , I like long walks on the beaches and quiet sunsets ..........

Uh -Oh .....wrong forum .

Any way , I got into RC as a kid with control line and  powered RC nitro cars , then when I could afford it started off in RC  sailplanes , enjoyed that immensely,  then when I went  to the powered stuff I never knew what the big deal was about a dead stick landing , at our field it was like announcing "heads Up" at a baseball game  and everyone watched to see what was going to happen , for me coming from sailplanes was like no big deal for a dead stick. Then went to 1/4 scale warbirds and RC Nitro helicopters . Then I had a head Injury at work, spent a long time in and out of hospitals , Now I am kinda semi retired but work at my wife's families auto dealerships   Buick - GMC and a Chevroltet store , we live in Michigan  (the Motor City State ) so folks still by these in droves....here anyway .

So once the DJI products came out , I was amazed , I had tried to put cameras on my AC years ago with mixed luck .  

So that is my story and I am sticking to it for Now .

And yes the brain ( head Injury ) would explain why I am so unusual ...

donnie
2017-3-5
Use props
fansbbfdde13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 395581 ft
New Zealand

73 years old, I gained a private pilot licence in 1967 with ratings on all single engines except skis and floats, Can't pass the medical any more so I now have a lot of fun with the inspire1. 250 flights so far its a shame we are limited to 1640 ft AGL.  ,
2017-3-5
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

I have been in the film/TV industry for 25 years and waited since then for the Inspire!   First time ever that you could get filmic images from the air without spending and risking a fortune.

Very exciting times!
2017-3-6
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

I'll be 48 this Sunday.  I've been in the TV/Film industry for 25 years.  Started flying with a modified Phantom 2 from DSLR Pros 2 years ago.
2017-3-6
Use props
SkyLit
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67753 ft
United States

Stan, 22 just graduated college with a degree in history, decided to take the risky path in life and start an Aerial Imaging company.

I have been building and flying UAVs since I was 16 and have flown DJI's ecosystem since I was 18.  Knew I always wanted to get into the business and figured why not do it when I am young and still have the ambition.  
2017-3-6
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

I kinda feel like I am at an AA meeting , My Name is donnie And Have been a RC aholic since I was 12.....
Sorry could not resist

( And no I am not in AA, I am alergic to alcohol , evertime I would drink I would break out In HANDCUFFS " )   
donnie
2017-3-7
Use props
JonCahillPhoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15256 ft
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-7 06:05
I kinda feel like I am at an AA meeting , My Name is donnie And Have been a RC aholic since I was 12.....
Sorry could not resist

lol

I really would like to go back in time and get into RC earlier in my life. Model rockets are/were fun though, too.
2017-3-7
Use props
Highasakite
First Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

Model rockets here too Jon, with grasshoppers in the "payload" really wasn't very nice now that I think about it. And remember the balsa wood gliders and the ones with the rubber bands and plastic props with wire landing gear and plastic wheels?  Ah the simpler times!!   
2017-3-7
Use props
ETA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3032966 ft
  • >>>
United States

51 years old small business owner in 30th year.  Private Pilot, love photography and technology.   Been flying Inspire 1and others for three years.   Recently started a drones services company.  
2017-3-7
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

Highasakite Posted at 2017-3-7 13:19
Model rockets here too Jon, with grasshoppers in the "payload" really wasn't very nice now that I think about it. And remember the balsa wood gliders and the ones with the rubber bands and plastic props with wire landing gear and plastic wheels?  Ah the simpler times!!

Model Rockets here too.  My very first rocket had wings instead of a parachute.  When the parachute charge would go off, the wings would spread out and it would glide down.
2017-3-8
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

Blackwood Posted at 2017-3-8 13:06
Model Rockets here too.  My very first rocket had wings instead of a parachute.  When the parachute charge would go off, the wings would spread out and it would glide down.

Nothin like the smell of a  Estes   Motor  after launch .  The Rocket you refer to is  the "Scissor Wing Transport " from Estes ,I had one myself, LOVED  Estes  Rockets !!
https://www.estesrockets.com/med ... _WING_TRANSPORT.pdf

donnie
2017-3-8
Use props
Dr Jon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

s

My real name is Wing commander Earith (Retired) I joined the RAF from university and enjoyed flying many different craft such as the English Electric Lightening and other such jets as time progressed. My first Model aircraft experience was with single channel R/C and the elastic bands. SO ... Left, centre, right, centre... so much fun. So i can say i have 60 years experience in models and have been hanging film cameras under helicopters for more than 15 years.

I can even remember when folks loved to watch flying models before the I HATE DRONES arrived.      
But i'm jealous of my son who is a serving drone pilot with a camera that is worth more than DJI total value....
2017-3-9
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 914711 ft
United States

Name is Jason from Northern Maine...   Was actually born in Canada and then crossed the river!

I'm 34 Years old.

I started flying gas powered helicopters / planes when I was quite young, My first flying camera was a cheep point and shoot camera strapped to a nitro heli,   You had to guess what you were pointing at and then press the wireless shutter button and hope for the best.     

I then bought the Phantom 2 Vision plus when it came out and then quickly upgraded to the Inspire 1 when it was release.  

Back in early December I pulled the trigger and bought an Inspire 2.  

I do a lot of work for the local TV Studios filming content for commercials,  have done some Real Estate jobs as well.  I also film events and fund raisers.

My primary job though is a Systems Analyst a a local paper mill.

2017-3-9
Use props
Alastair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 96631 ft
United States

I'm 67 and retired from a 34 year career as a television news camera operator.  Maybe I should have said semi-retired, as I pick up the odd shift from a local television station where I currently live.  I'd always had a fascination with RC flying but this machine was the first one I had actually flown.  Like jimhare I was always hopeful of the day that a high quality "flying" camera would be available to the average person.  The release of the Inspire 1 happened to coincide with my retirement plans, so I scooped one up.  Needless to say you can't beat the unique perspective this technology gives you however, the one disappointment for me is the reputation these machines have garnered.  Unfairly I think.
2017-3-9
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-8 13:23
Nothin like the smell of a  Estes   Motor  after launch .  The Rocket you refer to is  the "Scissor Wing Transport " from Estes ,I had one myself, LOVED  Estes  Rockets !!
https://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/001265_SCISSOR_WING_TRANSPORT.pdf

Nope, that's not it.  Mine had spring loaded wings on each side.  The leading edges of the wings were balsa with parachute type plastic forming the main part of the wing when expanded.  The wings folded flat against the sides of the main tube at launch.  I tried a google search, but couldn't find a picture.
2017-3-9
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

Blackwood Posted at 2017-3-9 09:33
Nope, that's not it.  Mine had spring loaded wings on each side.  The leading edges of the wings were balsa with parachute type plastic forming the main part of the wing when expanded.  The wings folded flat against the sides of the main tube at launch.  I tried a google search, but couldn't find a picture.

Wow , I thought the Estes , scissor wing was it for sure . I loved rockets too

donnie
2017-3-9
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 765909 ft
United States

absolute hilarious thread.  I'm 43, but feel and act like I'm 16.  First intro to anything RC was a Tamiya Grasshopper, then I progressed to some cool on road cars, nitro, then I got into girls, left RC for a while, got back into them after college (Team Associated), Married, 4 kids, around the birth of my 4th got into HPI gas trucks, X-Ray onraod etc..always been an avid photographer and last year wife got me a  Yuneec, then it all went south...6 weeks later I had a Mavic and I2.  I have serious GAS, with anything I'm into.
2017-3-10
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

NJ Flying Slow  Posted at 2017-3-10 06:46
absolute hilarious thread.  I'm 43, but feel and act like I'm 16.  First intro to anything RC was a Tamiya Grasshopper, then I progressed to some cool on road cars, nitro, then I got into girls, left RC for a while, got back into them after college (Team Associated), Married, 4 kids, around the birth of my 4th got into HPI gas trucks, X-Ray onraod etc..always been an avid photographer and last year wife got me a  Yuneec, then it all went south...6 weeks later I had a Mavic and I2.  I have serious GAS, with anything I'm into.

Help an old man  of 53 understand this slang :
"I have serious GAS, with anything I'm into."

It just means you go full into something , would that be correct ?

donnie
2017-3-10
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 765909 ft
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-10 10:33
Help an old man  of 53 understand this slang :
"I have serious GAS, with anything I'm into."

yea, basically 'Gear Acquisition Syndrome'...happens many times with photographers or overall gear heads which I think we all are.  
2017-3-10
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Blackwood Posted at 2017-3-6 15:51
I'll be 48 this Sunday.  I've been in the TV/Film industry for 25 years.  Started flying with a modified Phantom 2 from DSLR Pros 2 years ago.

Happy Birthday and thank you for sharing!!

Rich
2017-3-10
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-5 11:56
My name is donnie age 53  , I am a Capricorn , I like long walks on the beaches and quiet sunsets ..........

Uh -Oh .....wrong forum .

Thanks for sharing and the laughs!  

Rich
2017-3-10
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2017-3-6 14:33
I have been in the film/TV industry for 25 years and waited since then for the Inspire!   First time ever that you could get filmic images from the air without spending and risking a fortune.

Very exciting times!

Jim
Thanks for sharing, wow that's lots of experience!!

Rich
2017-3-10
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-3-9 02:58
My real name is Wing commander Earith (Retired) I joined the RAF from university and enjoyed flying many different craft such as the English Electric Lightening and other such jets as time progressed. My first Model aircraft experience was with single channel R/C and the elastic bands. SO ... Left, centre, right, centre... so much fun. So i can say i have 60 years experience in models and have been hanging film cameras under helicopters for more than 15 years.

I can even remember when folks loved to watch flying models before the I HATE DRONES arrived.      

Jon.... WC Earith,

Thanks for sharing your short story!  Amazing history in here with all of you

Rich
2017-3-10
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Thank you all for adding to this post!!! I am enjoying everyone's  comments fully....  I cannot keep responding to all the posts .....  

Thank you again all, please keep up the stories for all to read

All the best
Rich
2017-3-10
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ok, I'll weigh in.

58 years old, had Cox gas airplane when I was 7. Those had a tether with 2 strings on it that changed the flaps when you rotated the handle. NO RC, could only fly in a circle. BORING!!

Went through the Estes rocket phase from 8-12 years old. Built plenty of them and flew a few grasshoppers and even a small frog once. Gee, where was the FAA then? I'm certain we went higher than 400' and nobody ever complained or said anything about permissions or tower clearance!

Then I got bit by the camera bug. First camera was a Kodak Hawkeye Brownie. Used the old 620 film and took decent pictures. Progressed through the ranks up to my first 35mm SLR. When digital came along, I resisted, thinking it could never be as good as Fuji ISO 200 film. First Digital was a Nikon Koolpix. Loved it, then progressed to a Canon Rebel. Never bought another roll of film. (Or paid for processing!) Now, X5 / 4 Olympus lenses and Panasonic GH4.

I remember the first time I stumbled on a drone. It was at a Best Buy store about 2 years ago. A 3DR solo kit with backpack, Gopro Hero. $1000!! I thought that was complete insanity! WHO would EVER pay that much for a toy?

But a seed was planted….. a friend had a Parrot AR he let me borrow. It was shot. Too many crashes and the camera was lousy. Soon after I bought a Syma X8 which completly sucked. I returned it the same day and took a 15% hit on restocking fee.

A week later I got a Phantom 3 Standard. Now I had something!! A week later I sold it on eBay and got a P3P. That held me for about a month. Inspire 1, T601 / X3 next. A month later upgraded to the X5. Then began collecting lenses.

Yes, I have been bitten by the bug! But I love every moment of it. Having been a photographer for 40+ years, drones fell right in line offering a never before seen vantage point. In a year I logged over 450 flights on the I1. No major crashes!!! (Did hit a tree once and broke some props.)

Once I tried to achieve ‘aerial’ type photography by strapping a 12 foot step ladder to my pickup truck to get some ‘lofty’ pictures of a Christmas Tree lot that I was running. The main intent was to have record of the setup details for the following year’s setup. The following year, I shot awesome layout pics with the P3S.

Ever since then…. It’s been ‘ON’!!

xxxfp.jpg
2017-3-12
Use props
SixtyMike
lvl.3
United States

56.  Having read everyone elses replies, many replicate my experience and life with aviation.  I started building and flying RC and rockets as a kid.  Did a little hang gliding as well.  Got into photgraphy and film developing at school when I was 15, my first SLR was a Canon FTB.  Started working on my private pilots license in high school and finishsed just after graduation.  The helo bug bit me in college, so I joined the Army and flew H-60s all over the world for 27 years.  Flew my first toy quad in 2010.  Graduated to an Inspire in 2015 and just got a Mavic to play with.  Still flying helos as a commercial pilot and the quads under 107.  
2017-3-13
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

SixtyMike Posted at 2017-3-13 10:46
56.  Having read everyone elses replies, many replicate my experience and life with aviation.  I started building and flying RC and rockets as a kid.  Did a little hang gliding as well.  Got into photgraphy and film developing at school when I was 15, my first SLR was a Canon FTB.  Started working on my private pilots license in high school and finishsed just after graduation.  The helo bug bit me in college, so I joined the Army and flew H-60s all over the world for 27 years.  Flew my first toy quad in 2010.  Graduated to an Inspire in 2015 and just got a Mavic to play with.  Still flying helos as a commercial pilot and the quads under 107.

Mike - That is awesome , You and Member Rich both fly full size Helo's .  I would love to go back in time and have learned to fly Helicopters , that is a lifetime dream of mine .

Most members here  on the Inspire forum are in there  40's and 50's,  I would have thought much younger BUT it is a moderately expensive piece of Kit and in My 20's there would be NO Way I could afford to spend 3 grand plus for a RC  system.

Thanks for your service too by the way .

donnie
2017-3-14
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-3-10 16:50
Happy Birthday and thank you for sharing!!

Rich

Thanks you!
2017-3-14
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-3-12 08:08
Ok, I'll weigh in.
58 years old, had Cox gas airplane when I was 7. Those had a tether with 2 strings on it that changed the flaps when you rotated the handle. NO RC, could only fly in a circle. BORING!!
Went through the Estes rocket phase from 8-12 years old. Built plenty of them and flew a few grasshoppers and even a small frog once. Gee, where was the FAA then? I'm certain we went higher than 400' and nobody ever complained or said anything about permissions or tower clearance!

Totally awesome!! Thanks for sharing   

Rich
2017-3-14
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

SixtyMike Posted at 2017-3-13 10:46

Thanks for sharing (fellow rotary wing pilot)

Love it!
Rich
2017-3-14
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

You are welcome

The chart is looking like a bell shaped curve   need more people to vote and give us some new stories!

Rich
2017-3-19
Use props
Dreamer1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7801565 ft
United States

I'm 28 and I have been flying/bulding model planes and copters since I was about 10 years old. I grew up in chicago and my grandma worked at an airport(Chicago O'hare) and would always take me to see planes. My Mother would also take me to the tarmac to watch the planes land and take off.
2017-3-19
Use props
C0rt3x
New

United States

An injury made walking difficult so I decided to fly instead. Walking ratings have dropped drastically since.
2017-3-19
Use props
C0rt3x
New

United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-7 06:05
Sorry could not resist

I had to give up on AA. as it interferes with my drinking.
2017-3-19
Use props
Dreamer1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7801565 ft
United States

Accidentally hit enter and posted half my reply, then tried to edit and took to long and deleted everything I wrote.....TAKE THREE. :0

I'm 28 and I have been flying/building model planes and copters since I was about 10 years old. I grew up in Chicago and my grandma worked at an airport(Chicago O'Hare) and would always take me to see planes. My Mother would also take me to the tarmac to watch the planes land and take off. This sparked a fire in me that could only be handled one way...start a hobby! I started getting into building and flying model aircraft. I then did everything I could to surround myself with anything that had to do with RC tech...planes, cars, copters...you name it. When my family and I moved to Seattle in 2000(I would be 13 at this time) we had a neighbor was also heavily into model aircraft. I quickly made friends with this gentlemen and he taught me quite bit about flying model aircraft. I flew a wide variety of gas and electric based propulsion systems in that time. Flying a little gas powered, fixed wing plane going 120mph is pretty darn exhilarating and scary.

For as long as I can remember, I knew I was going to make a career out of flying...someway...somehow. I logged hours in a cesna(single engine) and wanted to be an actual pilot but those dreams were a far reach for me due to the amount of money it takes to get privately licensed. I went on flying for hobby for years and years until finally, one day drones started to make an appearance and becoming more of a reality for commercial use.

I had the idea of starting a business about two years ago. I remember because my daughter was born and I bought a little syma x5 to play around with in my down time of long hours at home taking care of the new baby. I quickly excelled at flight operations and was eager to move up. Funds did not allow for this much with the new baby so I started thinking about a business. It was like a strong gravitational pull, pulling me into the industry. Almost like it was pure instinct to do so. I have spent quite a few hours getting to know my I2 and overcoming obstacles  just like you all have. I just have yet to be active in any forum till now. I do still have my 9-5er which I am currently trying to kick once my partner and I get our business off the ground(pun intended)  I love being a part of this industry and I want to give back as much as I can sharing knowledge and insight. I'm excited for what the future holds in this this amazing industry!
2017-3-20
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dreamer1 Posted at 2017-3-20 00:29
Accidentally hit enter and posted half my reply, then tried to edit and took to long and deleted everything I wrote.....TAKE THREE. :0

I'm 28 and I have been flying/building model planes and copters since I was about 10 years old. I grew up in Chicago and my grandma worked at an airport(Chicago O'Hare) and would always take me to see planes. My Mother would also take me to the tarmac to watch the planes land and take off. This sparked a fire in me that could only be handled one way...start a hobby! I started getting into building and flying model aircraft. I then did everything I could to surround myself with anything that had to do with RC tech...planes, cars, copters...you name it. When my family and I moved to Seattle in 2000(I would be 13 at this time) we had a neighbor was also heavily into model aircraft. I quickly made friends with this gentlemen and he taught me quite bit about flying model aircraft. I flew a wide variety of gas and electric based propulsion systems in that time. Flying a little gas powered, fixed wing plane going 120mph is pretty darn exhilarating and scary.

Thanks for sharing!!   I can relate to the expense of flying full scale and the sacrifices needed to make it happen.  In my younger years my parents worked for Westcoast airlines out of SeaTac airport. I remember riding up front with the pilots in many aircraft DC6 was one of them.....  Cant do that anymore

Rich
2017-3-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hey Rich53, I don't own an inspire yet , but will be purchasing this year I2, can't push the button, so maybe you could post some of results so far, thank you..
2017-3-21
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules