20,000 LEAGUES ABOVE THE SEA...
1940 30 2017-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Had some fun trying to break through the clouds today.  At max height and just breaking through but some good footage.

Enjoy

2017-3-6
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

There is a problem with your thread title!

From Wikipedia: "The title refers to the distance travelled while under the sea and not to a depth, as 20,000 leagues is over six times the diameter, and nearly twice the circumference of the Earth. The greatest depth mentioned in the book is four leagues. The book uses metric leagues, which are four kilometres each."

Your Phantom can't fly that high!
2017-3-6
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

The world is easy to pass over 6 times.

WORLD MAP

WORLD MAP
2017-3-6
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

With all due respect: Nobody is impressed with how high you can fly. What IS impressive is personal integrity and safety consciousness.
2017-3-6
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

RSW Posted at 2017-3-6 16:15
With all due respect: Nobody is impressed with how high you can fly. What IS impressive is personal integrity and safety consciousness.

Well I am sure about safety and integrity.  I am not flying over people or houses.

I fly in the mountains where I live.  This was a nice mileage flight and I was just able to clear the clouds to see the surrounding mountain peaks. If you watch to the end you see I fly from a platform that overlooks the valley below.  Some of it is cultivated into tea farms the rest is wilderness.  

Also when flying above low level clouds you cannot tell what the altitude is or how high up these mountains are. DJI Drones have a built in height limit in any case.
2017-3-6
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Yes, nobody will be impressed with the height when he is still well below the mountain tops!  However we can be impressed by the scenery and as long as it is captured legally and safely then there is nothing to worry about.

Different countries have different laws and different safety cultures, just because you are not allowed to do something or cant do it safely doesn't mean that others cant.
2017-3-6
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

People need to remember, other members don't live here in the US under FAA rules. Not everyone needs to be below 400' (120m) in other countries.
2017-3-6
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

WilliamM Posted at 2017-3-6 17:34
People need to remember, other members don't live here in the US under FAA rules. Not everyone needs to be below 400' (120m) in other countries.

Italy has a 700m limit above launch site.  200m above the drones max 500m self imposed restriction

Maybe those who want to judge my disregard for flying rules in their countries might want to first view my flight logs.  See any people down there or homes?  Nah didn't think so.  

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/2IA5ZCIRXU3VY12IJRR9/
2017-3-6
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

Wow. You don't even ask, but jump right into assumptions and passive aggressive attacks. You don't know the altitude of his launch point or the maximum ceiling allowed where he is flying. As for "personal integrity and safety consciousness," I hope you've never driven your car over the posted speed limit in your area, not that legally flying a drone over remote countryside is at all as dangerous as speeding. Stones, glass houses and such.
"With all due respect..." With all due respect, nobody believes you are displaying all due respect.
2017-3-6
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Maybe RSW would like to comment on this flight.  Flying backwards. Flying below launch level with negative height.
run away run away run away from the clouds chasing my drone yet increasing my height above the receding ground level.
I still have several thousand feet altitude though.

2017-3-6
Use props
gbmarsh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 75692 ft
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-6 21:33
Maybe RSW would like to comment on this flight.  Flying backwards. Flying below launch level with negative height.
run away run away run away from the clouds chasing my drone yet increasing my height about ground level.
I still have several thousand feet altitude though.

Man, all I can say is... you sure fly the #$%^ out of that Phantom. Bravo to you, sir and keep on taking those awesome videos. As soon as the weather cooperates, I'm planning some mountain flights around my locale.
Here's a hint: IMGP1549.jpg

2017-3-6
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

gbmarsh Posted at 2017-3-6 22:21
Man, all I can say is... you sure fly the #$%^ out of that Phantom. Bravo to you, sir and keep on taking those awesome videos. As soon as the weather cooperates, I'm planning some mountain flights around my locale.
Here's a hint:

Sweet now that would be fun to fly around. Yes had my drone about 6 weeks now and have put around 14 hours flying time on it.  I actually started deleting any distances less than 500m from healthy drones and just keep the longer trips. PM me when you have your video up.  Where is your mountain?  Hopefully next winter here I get up to do Yushan when covered in snow.  Although taking your drone up to 3000m plus heights in winter is chilly to say the least.

YUSHAN IN WINTER

YUSHAN IN WINTER
2017-3-7
Use props
gbmarsh
lvl.2
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-7 02:22
Sweet now that would be fun to fly around. Yes had my drone about 6 weeks now and have put around 18 hours flying time on it.  I actually started deleting any distances less than 500m from healthy drones and just keep the longer trips. PM me when you have your video up.  Where is your mountain?  Hopefully next winter here I get up to do Yushan when covered in snow.  Although taking your drone up to 3000m plus heights in winter is chilly to say the least.

Slesse Mountain is part of the Cascade range in south west British Columbia, just north of the US border.
Lots of big rocky peaks in this area with glaciers and alpine lakes to add to the scenery.
2017-3-7
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

gbmarsh Posted at 2017-3-7 02:54
Slesse Mountain is part of the Cascade range in south west British Columbia, just north of the US border.
Lots of big rocky peaks in this area with glaciers and alpine lakes to add to the scenery.

Are you allowed to fly them?  In Taiwan I am allowed to fly in Yushan National Park and other national parks.  Of course there are restrictions in some places but mostly we are free to fly wherever we want to.
2017-3-7
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

DroneSmeg Posted at 2017-3-6 20:58
Wow. You don't even ask, but jump right into assumptions and passive aggressive attacks. You don't know the altitude of his launch point or the maximum ceiling allowed where he is flying. As for "personal integrity and safety consciousness," I hope you've never driven your car over the posted speed limit in your area, not that legally flying a drone over remote countryside is at all as dangerous as speeding. Stones, glass houses and such.
"With all due respect..." With all due respect, nobody believes you are displaying all due respect.

You sure read a lot into my simple statement that just wasn't there. I jumped to no conclusions. My statement stands alone and applies to everyone, but particularly those who boast about how high they fly, regardless of their actions.
2017-3-7
Use props
Tom24nh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 174239 ft
United States

Nice video keep it up
2017-3-7
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Taiwan

RSW Posted at 2017-3-7 08:56
You sure read a lot into my simple statement that just wasn't there. I jumped to no conclusions. My statement stands alone and applies to everyone, but particularly those who boast about how high they fly, regardless of their actions.

Yeah, sure. Everyone else read into it, too. Everyone is wrong. You're right. LMAO. I think drones may not be your thing. Perhaps a temperence movement? How about this: don't suggest anyone is breaking laws, lacks personal integrity or is behaving dangerously when you don't know what you're talking about. Do that and I won't need to read into anything anymore.
2017-3-7
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

RSW Posted at 2017-3-7 08:56

So how high did I fly then Mr Residential Solid Waste?  Please do tell.  

This guy isn't flying very high.  Maybe I too should fly in sports mode.

2017-3-7
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-7 09:56
So how high did I fly then Mr Residential Solid Waste?  Please do tell.  

This guy isn't flying very high.  Maybe I too should fly in sports mode.

Not only did he crash during the slowest and lowest part of his flight, but there were some burnt out cars from his last trip along the highway

I think that if your P3 lost power at 20,000L altitude and fell on top of someone in your almost deserted area it would still do less damage than he would have done if he had hit one of his crowd of spectators!
2017-3-7
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-3-7 10:58
Not only did he crash during the slowest and lowest part of his flight, but there were some burnt out cars from his last trip along the highway

I think that if your P3 lost power at 20,000L altitude and fell on top of someone in your almost deserted area it would still do less damage than he would have done if he had hit one of his crowd of spectators!

I'm sure RSW is one of these people that apart from patronizing others about how they go about their flying comes out and says we don't like your kind.  He probably sends a copy of my flight logs enshrined in some little folder to someone in authority somewhere to study in black and white issues about my personal integrity and my safety consciousness.

So there's only one thing you can keep doing it's to keep flying and ask our buddies to come along so we can fly in harmony.  He might think it's an organization of drone pilots flying way too high for his liking. Looky here it's another drone pilot passing me in his drone ship speeding by at 10200ft.  There's nothing RSW can do about it even with the video as evidence against us. Of course he has read page 54 of the P3S user manual for flight rules in Taiwan.

2017-3-7
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231394 ft
United States

Have you had any problems with moisture build-up flying through the clouds?

Watching that, it occurred to me that it really forces the pilot to depend on his map display on the controller. Can't see anything but clouds on the camera feedback, and not able to see the Phantom through the clouds.
2017-3-7
Use props
gbmarsh
lvl.2
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-7 05:57
Are you allowed to fly them?  In Taiwan I am allowed to fly in Yushan National Park and other national parks.  Of course there are restrictions in some places but mostly we are free to fly wherever we want to.

Most of these mountains are public land that is not part of any park system. No maintained roads so getting to them is the fun part.
2017-3-8
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

Hoomi Posted at 2017-3-7 20:34

Watching that, it occurred to me that it really forces the pilot to depend on his map display on the controller. Can't see anything but clouds on the camera feedback, and not able to see the Phantom through the clouds.

I get a bit of moisture on the drone but not on the lens and the props do push quite a bit of thrust.

OK when flying you can see I pay attention to the mountains to the south ( closest mountain ) and put some decent distance between my done and the mountain.  I am also above them in height so hitting one of them is not an issue and if I was to lose RC signal the drone would RTH at the present altitude.  

Never really used the map.  I could see on my phone app where I was.  What I did need to pay attention to was my friend Dronespeg and we flew in different directions and at different altitudes and chatted with each other about where we were flying.  Stop, hover, rotate, also works.  That's Captain Dronesmeg speeding past me at beginning of video.
2017-3-8
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

gbmarsh Posted at 2017-3-8 00:19
Most of these mountains are public land that is not part of any park system. No maintained roads so getting to them is the fun part.

Yup we have some places up here you need to hike to.  I wont invite RSW as he would perhaps get altitude sickness.  Also I would need to fly below my launch point and that would get him all confused. Imagine I have to launch to fly out and get some nice shots. It would look like I am really up there, which in terms of altitude I would be but in terms of flight I would be at negative to launch.
WINTER CLOUDS.jpg
2017-3-8
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

You just never can tell where someone really took some photos from, drone or not.
CLOUDS TO RANGE.jpg
2017-3-8
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Taiwan

blackcrusader photo bombed me pretty good in some of the shots in this video:

2017-3-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I keep smiling, watching these flights above the cloud cover...

The nearest mountain range to here, is easily a couple of hundred kilometers away.  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-8
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Taiwan

Hoomi Posted at 2017-3-7 20:34

Hi,

Flying through the fog did seem to have made the lens a little blurry for a short while after breaking through (note how the sun appears smudgy for a little bit after ascending). Otherwise, there were no ill effects.

2017-3-8
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

I plan on going back maybe Monday morning.  Around 1 hour drive prior to here they are blocking the road to traffic as too many tourists are coming up.  So tourists need to park their cars and take tour buses up.

Also for the locals like me, there are some other roads we can take to avoid road blocks, plus I can flash my ID card and government issued country vest and get through.

I need an early morning climb to do a nice sunrise.  Maybe on Monday or Tuesday morning my time.
2017-3-11
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-8 20:27
I keep smiling, watching these flights above the cloud cover...

The nearest mountain range to here, is easily a couple of hundred kilometers away.  ;-)

You can come visit us here in Taiwan
2017-3-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-11 05:00
You can come visit us here in Taiwan

Visit? Don't temp me, because, after seeing some of the awesome pics you shared, I may buy a one way fare, to paradise, and never want to leave. Hahaha

It's been a real eye opener for me, seeing some of the wonderful scenery, culture and your awesome people. Before reading your delightful posts, I had no idea, what a beautiful country you lived in. I think we often take for granted our locations in life, and traveling, is the only simple way to learn about others and their magical lands. The pics and videos you shared, certainly capture that atmosphere extremely well for me. ;-)
Please keep it up, and continue along that interesting well worn path.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules