Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to fly mavic safe indoor
12Next >
34272 54 2017-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Air_Owen 10
lvl.3
United States

i want to fly my mavic and shot a video indoor in my office building, its a large ,tall and bright office but i am quite sure the GPS signal is extremely weak. According to some youtube video and advices, i guess the safe way to fly indoor is using ATTI mode (or not).  But there were some videos that people crushed their mavic by flying indoor, which made me confused. So i just want to know how to fly mavic safe indoor without GPS signal? Is obstacle avoid system and front, back sensor will still work indoor without GPS signal? what is your advice for flying safe indoor?
Thanks!!
2017-3-6
Use props
mcd0nald
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3717 ft
Australia

once it hovers, go to 'TRIPOD' mode ....
2017-3-6
Use props
Air_Owen 10
lvl.3
United States

mcd0nald Posted at 2017-3-6 16:37

so basically fly it under the atti mode and switch to tripod mode when it in hovering position? thanks
2017-3-6
Use props
Air_Owen 10
lvl.3
United States

mcd0nald Posted at 2017-3-6 16:37

and i noticed from mavic menu that only use tripod mode when GPS signal is strong. i thought my office GPS signal is very very weak
2017-3-6
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I don't have any experience flying indoors to help you, but you for safety reasons you might want to consider picking up DJI's prop cages when they come back in stock. Good luck!
2017-3-6
Use props
Air_Owen 10
lvl.3
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-6 16:53
I don't have any experience flying indoors to help you, but you for safety reasons you might want to consider picking up DJI's prop cages when they come back in stock. Good luck!

ok, thanks!
2017-3-6
Use props
mcd0nald
lvl.1
Australia

yup, GPS signal is weak, sometimes is none....but it hovers good during tripod mode
i do this almost everyday anyway  

flying this drone is addicted
2017-3-6
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

From what I've been reading, problems appear to be when the Mavic unexpectedly switches from GPS to ATTI mode and people aren't prepared or are unable to control the AC. Unfortunately, there's no way to manually set ATTI mode, and the forum mods feel it's unlikely that there ever will be. Another piece of advice I've read is when inside, make sure to set your Max and RTH height to below-ceiling values and the Remote Controller Signal Loss setting to hover instead of RTH. Object avoidance may need to be turned off, and keep in mind VPS needs good light and a contrasty/patterned floor in order for it to do its job in helping keep the Mavic stable. That's all I can remember gleaning from forum posts.

It's may be safest to fly inside only when you are certain there's no chance of a GPS signal getting in, but perhaps others have found it doable; hopefully they'll weigh in.
2017-3-6
Use props
Air_Owen 10
lvl.3
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-6 17:10
From what I've been reading, problems appear to be when the Mavic unexpectedly switches from GPS to ATTI mode and people aren't prepared or are unable to control the AC. Unfortunately, there's no way to manually set ATTI mode, and the forum mods feel it's unlikely that there ever will be. Another piece of advice I've read is when inside, make sure to set your Max and RTH height to below-ceiling values and the Remote Controller Signal Loss setting to hover instead of RTH. Object avoidance may need to be turned off, and keep in mind VPS needs good light and a contrasty/patterned floor in order for it to do its job in helping keep the Mavic stable. That's all I can remember gleaning from forum posts.

It's may be safest to fly inside only when you are certain there's no chance of a GPS signal getting in, but perhaps others have found it doable; hopefully they'll weigh in.

thank you very much! yes i think the most confused thing is mavic change from gps and atti mode . Your advice is really helpful. thank!
2017-3-6
Use props
Air_Owen 10
lvl.3
United States

mcd0nald Posted at 2017-3-6 17:05
yup, GPS signal is weak, sometimes is none....but it hovers good during tripod mode
i do this almost everyday anyway  

ok, thank you, i will give it a try for sure
2017-3-6
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Long as you have enough light the vps will see the floor and keep in opti/gps mode. You won't even notice when it switches. The easiest way to make sure your flight never goes into atti is throw a flashlight on the floor behind the mavic. I turn off the front sensors too indoors, on older firmware though so it's a bit more sensitive.

The flashlight is the key though. Even in dark rooms, it should stick in position. What machina said about setting the rth to hover is a must too.
2017-3-6
Use props
Air_Owen 10
lvl.3
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-3-6 18:16
Long as you have enough light the vps will see the floor and keep in opti/gps mode. You won't even notice when it switches. The easiest way to make sure your flight never goes into atti is throw a flashlight on the floor behind the mavic. I turn off the front sensors too indoors, on older firmware though so it's a bit more sensitive.

The flashlight is the key though. Even in dark rooms, it should stick in position. What machina said about setting the rth to hover is a must too.

why do you turn of the front sensor?
2017-3-6
Use props
mcd0nald
lvl.1
Australia

oh ya one thing!! just make sure you got enough ambient light....i learnt for very first time when I flew my mavic indoor, it was drifting a bit ...since then yah ... all good
Two mavics, worked same ....one was blurry image issue, got swapped with new one ....the new one has a bit of blurry image as well but much better.
In terms of flying indoors.......mavic is the beast ...i have no worry at all as long i stay with enough ambient light and tripod mode
2017-3-6
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
First Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

To sum up:
RTH set hover
Well lit area
Tripod mode
Max height should be about 3m

2017-3-6
Use props
Air_Owen 10
lvl.3
United States

mcd0nald Posted at 2017-3-6 19:41
oh ya one thing!! just make sure you got enough ambient light....i learnt for very first time when I flew my mavic indoor, it was drifting a bit ...since then yah ... all good
Two mavics, worked same ....one was blurry image issue, got swapped with new one ....the new one has a bit of blurry image as well but much better.
In terms of flying indoors.......mavic is the beast ...i have no worry at all as long i stay with enough ambient light and tripod mode

do you switch to tripod mode when you take off or hovering position?
2017-3-6
Use props
Air_Owen 10
lvl.3
United States

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2017-3-6 20:45
To sum up:
RTH set hover
Well lit area

Thanks, do you switch RTH to hover before you take off or after? thanks
2017-3-6
Use props
budfroggy
lvl.1
United States

Set RTH on disconnect to hover before you T/O
2017-3-6
Use props
mcd0nald
lvl.1
Australia

Air_Owen 10 Posted at 2017-3-6 21:17
do you switch to tripod mode when you take off or hovering position?

during hovering position, i switch to tripod mode
2017-3-6
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
United States

Air_Owen 10 Posted at 2017-3-6 19:22
why do you turn of the front sensor?

I still run older firmware, it's really sensitive. So it's hard to move into rooms without setting it off.

The later firmware they've gimped this down to allow indoor flying with sensor. But the flashlight, it just works. Do it. Unless you've got sunlight coming in, the newer led lighting doesn't work well probably because of a very limited wavelength of light output.

I make flashlights, so I know a thing or two about them lol
2017-3-6
Use props
Air_Owen 10
lvl.3
United States

budfroggy Posted at 2017-3-6 21:29
Set RTH on disconnect to hover before you T/O

ok thanks!
2017-3-6
Use props
Air_Owen 10
lvl.3
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-3-6 21:47
I still run older firmware, it's really sensitive. So it's hard to move into rooms without setting it off.

The later firmware they've gimped this down to allow indoor flying with sensor. But the flashlight, it just works. Do it. Unless you've got sunlight coming in, the newer led lighting doesn't work well probably because of a very limited wavelength of light output.

ok, thanks, i have mine updated
2017-3-6
Use props
travelrikk
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-6 16:53

Affiliate linking is against the rules!
2017-3-7
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Regarding the forward sensors: I have found that sometimes when the Mavic detects an obstacle very close, it applies the brakes to avoid it, but at the same time it kind of locks out your control inputs for a second or more. If you're flying in tight spaces, that lack of control could be enough to cause your Mavic to drift sideways or backwards with nothing you can do to stop it.
2017-3-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

travelrikk Posted at 2017-3-7 00:03
Affiliate linking is against the rules!

Affiliate linking? I just posted the link to DJI's store -- is that slug at the end of the url an affiliate ID?
2017-3-7
Use props
travelrikk
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-7 05:59
Affiliate linking? I just posted the link to DJI's store -- is that slug at the end of the url an affiliate ID?

yep. the link would end at prop cages, the rest of the words is an affiliate ID which is against the rules
2017-3-7
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

travelrikk Posted at 2017-3-7 06:03
yep. the link would end at prop cages, the rest of the words is an affiliate ID which is against the rules

Thanks, had no idea DJI had an affiliate plan but it makes sense with all their other loyalty programs. Fixed.
2017-3-7
Use props
CuaC
First Officer
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Grab it with your hand, start everything up, don't run the motors, hit the record and "fly"
2017-3-7
Use props
Angelo26
Second Officer
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Flying Mavic indoors:

1. FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT !!!! ALL ROOMS HAVE TO BE BRIGHTLY LIT !!!!!

Check carefully if there is ANY passage on Your flight path that is darker or might get dark suddenly.

Before T/O Connect RC with Mavic WALK all the way You want to fly with Your Mavic in Your HANDS (!) and check on Smartie if in any passage on Your prospective flight path Mavic changes from OPTI-mode to ATTI-mode. If so, DON`T fly, Mavic in ATTI-mode is uncontrollable indoors (search for threads on this issue)

2. Once You walked all the potential flight path, check if You could achieve the footage You want by just carrying Your Mavic by hand over Your head and take the footage without flying.

3. If You really have to fly, first get prop-guards from ebay (approx. 30-40 $)

4. Switch on all obstacle avoidance-sensors and after T/O switch Mavic to TRIPOD-mode and walk behind her while taking the footage

5. If - although You carefully checked on Your preflight walk - Mavic suddenly changes to ATTI-mode IMMEDIATELY push left stick down to initiate the landing

Have fun
2017-3-7
Use props
Air_Owen 10
lvl.3
United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-3-7 08:57
Flying Mavic indoors:

1. FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT !!!! ALL ROOMS HAVE TO BE BRIGHTLY LIT !!!!!

thank you, really help me a lot. some post in the front do recommend that i could switch to tripod once it T/O. And the stuff from DJI support told me that i could fly indoor with ATTI mode, but under that mode Aircraft is only stable in vertically, but not horizontally, so it maybe drifting horizontally but with your sensor on, it would stop automatically once its about hitting a wall.
2017-3-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Air_Owen 10 Posted at 2017-3-7 11:36
thank you, really help me a lot. some post in the front do recommend that i could switch to tripod once it T/O. And the stuff from DJI support told me that i could fly indoor with ATTI mode, but under that mode Aircraft is only stable in vertically, but not horizontally, so it maybe drifting horizontally but with your sensor on, it would stop automatically once its about hitting a wall.

Get yourself a little syma, $50 if you can master this indoors you will be able to fly the Mavic

Indoors syma is Atti on speed,
2017-3-7
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
United States

Air_Owen 10 Posted at 2017-3-7 11:36

*sigh* You don't want it to go into atti mode indoors. That's the point. You need to light up the floor so it stays in place in opti and gps modes
2017-3-7
Use props
Air_Owen 10
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-7 12:34
Get yourself a little syma, $50 if you can master this indoors you will be able to fly the Mavic

Indoors syma is Atti on speed,

i can handle mavic indoor , the only reason i am asking here is mavic may drifting front and back even when my hand away from joysticks.
2017-3-7
Use props
Air_Owen 10
lvl.3
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-3-7 14:57
*sigh* You don't want it to go into atti mode indoors. That's the point. You need to light up the floor so it stays in place in opti and gps modes

so basically, there is no way to fly indoor without GPS signal? since dji stuff recommend me to fly under atti mode indoor
2017-3-7
Use props
Angelo26
Second Officer
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Air_Owen 10 Posted at 2017-3-7 17:10
so basically, there is no way to fly indoor without GPS signal? since dji stuff recommend me to fly under atti mode indoor

You DO DEFINITELY DO NOT WANT to have MP change into ATTI mode indoors. I only ONCE did not follow my own advice I posted here and once MP changed into ATTI in a darker area indoors it was UNCONTROLLABLE ! It cost me one rotor-blade ..........................
2017-3-8
Use props
FLwaverunner
lvl.1

United States

I've flown indoors a lot with no problems. These Prop guards are essential to saving your blades. The pre-flight walk through mentioned by angelo26 is a great idea. And don't forget to adjust RTH settings both before and after your indoor flight. Nothing worse then having your MP on a mission out doors and loose signal only to have it stay hovering somewhere until the battery runs out. ; )
2017-3-8
Use props
Air_Owen 10
lvl.3
United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-3-8 03:05
You DO DEFINITELY DO NOT WANT to have MP change into ATTI mode indoors. I only ONCE did not follow my own advice I posted here and once MP changed into ATTI in a darker area indoors it was UNCONTROLLABLE ! It cost me one rotor-blade ..........................

thanks for the advice!
2017-3-8
Use props
Air_Owen 10
lvl.3
United States

FLwaverunner Posted at 2017-3-8 03:34
I've flown indoors a lot with no problems. These Prop guards are essential to saving your blades. The pre-flight walk through mentioned by angelo26 is a great idea. And don't forget to adjust RTH settings both before and after your indoor flight. Nothing worse then having your MP on a mission out doors and loose signal only to have it stay hovering somewhere until the battery runs out. ; )

i get another guard from amazon, same as yours
2017-3-8
Use props
Pabloottawa
lvl.1
Canada

mcd0nald Posted at 2017-3-6 19:41
oh ya one thing!! just make sure you got enough ambient light....i learnt for very first time when I flew my mavic indoor, it was drifting a bit ...since then yah ... all good
Two mavics, worked same ....one was blurry image issue, got swapped with new one ....the new one has a bit of blurry image as well but much better.

I just got the Mavic and tried to set it to tripod mode but it's April  2018 now and the software has been updated many times since 2017.... Hence where is the tripod mode setting. Is it still there?
2018-4-10
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You have an osmo, my advice is use that, safer and not likely to crash.
2018-4-10
Use props
Pabloottawa
lvl.1
Canada

What is an OSMO?
2018-4-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules