Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Camera face towards left instead of facing center.
2146072484 2146072484 2017-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans04eda3a1
lvl.1
United States

Camera face towards left instead of facing center and I have tried all gimbal calibration, Cold IMU calibration on a flat surface but nothing seem to work. I am dissapointed that my first drone is unable to navigate straight. It is highly impossible for me to shoot in narrow spaces. Also I do get horizon tilt when i yaw as well as at times during going straight as well.Please help.
2017-3-6
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha fans04,

Are you flying in windy conditions?  Is you gimbal set to follow or FPV?  As an alternative, have you changed the order in which you are calibrating your gimbal and IMU?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

This issue may occur if the gimbal is skewed due to shaking in transportation, and the rubber gimbal ring moves toward one side. To fix this issue, manually rotate the gimbal in the opposite direction of the tilt until it reaches its limit. Do this several times, and the gimbal should be centered.
2017-3-7
Use props
umatillagarry
New
United States

DJI Natalia
This issue may occur if the gimbal is skewed due to shaking in transportation, and the rubber gimbal ring moves toward one side. To fix this issue, manually rotate the gimbal in the opposite direction of the tilt until it reaches its limit. Do this several times, and the gimbal should be centered

Can you be more specific about how to do this? Is P4 powered up or not? Do you actually force gimbal to yaw side to side by physically grabbing and turning the camera all the way to the left and then all the way to the right? My camera is tilted to the right slightly maybe 5 degrees or so instead of pointing straight ahead. Thanks for you help.
2017-3-8
Use props
fans2f49b364
lvl.1

Uzbekistan

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-7 02:02
This issue may occur if the gimbal is skewed due to shaking in transportation, and the rubber gimbal ring moves toward one side. To fix this issue, manually rotate the gimbal in the opposite direction of the tilt until it reaches its limit. Do this several times, and the gimbal should be centered.

Natalia when drone is off or on??
2017-3-8
Use props
fans2f49b364
lvl.1

Uzbekistan

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-7 02:02

can you give more information how to do it??
2017-3-8
Use props
fans04eda3a1
lvl.1
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-7 01:30
Aloha fans04,

Are you flying in windy conditions?  Is you gimbal set to follow or FPV?  As an alternative, have you changed the order in which you are calibrating your gimbal and IMU?

Hi.. Is there a specific way I should follow? also which is better FPV?
2017-3-8
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans04eda3a1 Posted at 2017-3-8 17:00
Hi.. Is there a specific way I should follow? also which is better FPV?

Aloha fans04,

FPV will tilt your horizon when the wind blows hard or you bank hard.  Follow will level your horizon the best it can under all conditions.  

The calibration for IMU and gimbal have a logical and intuitive sequence but my bird is not intuitive or logical.  You would think to calibrate the IMU first and then follow with the  gimbal, but that leaves my gimbal way out of wack.  If I calibrate my gimbal first and follow with the IMU calibration, everything ends up level.  Go figgah!

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-8
Use props
fans04eda3a1
lvl.1
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-8 19:28
Aloha fans04,

FPV will tilt your horizon when the wind blows hard or you bank hard.  Follow will level your horizon the best it can under all conditions.  

Thanks buddy for your valuable inputs.. I shall try that Cal especially. I think I have it at FPV. I will change it to follow.
2017-3-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

umatillagarry Posted at 2017-3-8 09:32
DJI Natalia
This issue may occur if the gimbal is skewed due to shaking in transportation, and the rubber gimbal ring moves toward one side. To fix this issue, manually rotate the gimbal in the opposite direction of the tilt until it reaches its limit. Do this several times, and the gimbal should be centered

Please power it off , then hold gimbal by your hand and rotate it to the left until it reaches its limit for several time since your camera is tilted to the right slightly.
Then please calibrate gimbal with the drone sitting on it's back, so the camera is pointing to the sky directly (assume the direction that the normal-functioning-camera is pointing to as front).

2017-3-9
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-9 00:23
Please power it off , then hold gimbal by your hand and rotate it to the left until it reaches its limit for several time since your camera is tilted to the right slightly.
Then please calibrate gimbal with the drone sitting on it's back, so the camera is pointing to the sky directly (assume the direction that the normal-functioning-camera is pointing to as front).

Aloha Natalia,

This is interesting.  Will this technique work on all the newer Phantoms (P3A, P3P, P4, P4 Pro) or just the P4?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-9
Use props
fans2f49b364
lvl.1

Uzbekistan

thank you for your help
it works perfect now
2017-3-9
Use props
fans04eda3a1
lvl.1
United States

Thanks Natalia. I will give this a shot.
2017-3-9
Use props
fans04eda3a1
lvl.1
United States

Hi Natalia, This issue is resolved now. Thanks for the support. But Horizon tilt seems to persist occasionally. Is there any suggestion for it...
2017-3-9
Use props
fans04eda3a1
lvl.1
United States

Hi Natalia, This issue is resolved now. Thanks for the support. But Horizon tilt seems to persist occasionally. Is there any suggestion for it...
2017-3-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans04eda3a1 Posted at 2017-3-9 13:54

Glad to hear it's solved.
For the horizon tilt issue, please calibrate the IMU in a very level surface firstly, then calibrate gimbal or adjust the Roll, then check the performance again.
2017-3-11
Use props
umatillagarry
New
United States

I'm confused by this part... Then please calibrate gimbal with the drone sitting on it's back, so the camera is pointing to the sky directly (assume the direction that the normal-functioning-camera is pointing to as front).
What do you mean by "drone sitting on it's back" ? Do you mean drone is sitting on all 4 of it's motors ? What did you mean by "assume the direction that the normal-functioning-camera is pointing to as front).
Please clarify this for me... sorry for being so dense Thank you
2017-3-21
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

I think she means upside down from how you would normally do it.
2017-3-21
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Grizz 1 Posted at 2017-3-21 08:10
I think she means upside down from how you would normally do it.

Natalia referred to the camera looking at the sky. I assume that she means that you sit the craft at 90 degrees on it's rear motor arms. But then I'm yet to try this to see if it calibrates OK that way...
2017-3-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-21 15:05
Natalia referred to the camera looking at the sky. I assume that she means that you sit the craft at 90 degrees on it's rear motor arms. But then I'm yet to try this to see if it calibrates OK that way...

Your interpretation would be correct.
2017-3-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

umatillagarry Posted at 2017-3-21 07:10
I'm confused by this part... Then please calibrate gimbal with the drone sitting on it's back, so the camera is pointing to the sky directly (assume the direction that the normal-functioning-camera is pointing to as front).
What do you mean by "drone sitting on it's back" ? Do you mean drone is sitting on all 4 of it's motors ? What did you mean by "assume the direction that the normal-functioning-camera is pointing to as front).
Please clarify this for me... sorry for being so dense Thank you

Sorry I did not make myself understood.
As Punchbuggy mentioned at 19#, please do it like that.
@Punchbuggy, thank you.
2017-3-22
Use props
umatillagarry
New
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-21 15:22
Your interpretation would be correct.

But how would you have it on it's rear motor mounts and have it level like it wants for a gimbal calibration? Would you somehow prop it up to make it as level as possible while having it sit on it's rear motors?
2017-3-22
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

umatillagarry Posted at 2017-3-22 12:40
But how would you have it on it's rear motor mounts and have it level like it wants for a gimbal calibration? Would you somehow prop it up to make it as level as possible while having it sit on it's rear motors?

While waiting on DJI's advice, I'd suggest that doing a gimbal calibration using this technique is purely just to get the camera properly centred (left-right axis) on the gimbal again. Remember that up to here you've basically forced the rubber ring to re-seat itself back into correct positioning.

My guess is that, once you've got the ring re-seated correctly and the camera is now centred on that axis following calibration at the 90 degree angle, you put the craft back down 100% flat (as per normal) and do a normal gimbal calibration to get the other motors calibrated properly (the gimbal uses 3 in total). Happy to be corrected here though - I'm just using logic.
2017-3-22
Use props
umatillagarry
New
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-21 15:05

Natalia a picture is worth a 1000 words.. could you please give us a picture of a P4 sitting in the configuration you mean for the gimbal cal to take place in??

Thanks in advance.
2017-3-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

umatillagarry Posted at 2017-3-23 13:11
Natalia a picture is worth a 1000 words.. could you please give us a picture of a P4 sitting in the configuration you mean for the gimbal cal to take place in??

Here is  a picture for your reference:
S.png
2017-3-27
Use props
umatillagarry
New
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-27 23:35

Thank you for the clarification.
2017-3-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

umatillagarry Posted at 2017-3-28 13:08
Thank you for the clarification.

You are welcome, hope that helps.
2017-3-29
Use props
XXTechMoXX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 403530 ft
United States

That worked for me! Thank you so much!
2017-4-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

XXTechMoXX Posted at 2017-4-23 09:54
That worked for me! Thank you so much!

Great, glad to hear it helps.
2017-4-23
Use props
omegas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23757 ft
Russia

Hello, i think i have the same issue. I'am calibrate all parts on precisely leveled surface, but my cam looked some left. And i don't understand how many power of my hands i need to use for this procedure... Help me, may be someone have video?

2017-4-23
Use props
MDMAN
New
Flight distance : 115046 ft
Germany

I have the same issue... But I don't know how I can fix it. I make the same procedure like @XXTechMoXX but my Gimbal is not in the Center. It have 5 Degrees left.

Also like @omegas ...

An Video is a good Idea. Can someone make an Video for us?

Thanks a lot...
2017-4-24
Use props
fans88ccc2f5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 801099 ft
United Kingdom

Had the same problem with mine. Followed the above steps and all seems to be OK, but haven't flown since this 'fix'.

I would like to know if this is something that I should expect to have to do frequently? The aircraft is new and has done around 20 flights - I didn't encounter this gimbal issue until after a few flights, so is it likely to happen again?
2017-4-26
Use props
Brian Liem
lvl.2
Flight distance : 882113 ft
United States

Natalia, in theory the idea works. After flying and landing softly ;) the gimbal was back to pointing to the left 5-10 degrees. I'm a drone tech so far as hardware is concerned, so I have no fear of removing the gimbal completely. Is there is a permanent "fix" or adjustment that can be done internally? The only reason I havent done this on my own is this particular drone is fairly new and still under warranty.  Any thoughts?  
2017-4-26
Use props
Mike_97
lvl.1
Flight distance : 210715 ft
United States

My camera also points a few degrees left of center. Not a problem when I'm flying at altitude, but I noticed how severe it was flying indoors, trying to fly straight down the hall and having to compensate with a little left input on the right stick (slew or crab left).

Could we get an additional software gimbal calibration feature, just like the gimbal-tilt adjustment, but make this a gimbal-yaw adjustment?
2017-4-26
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Natalia!! THANK YOU!! I have been plagued by this issue for a while and wondered what was wrong with my unit.. It was repaired and sent back to me with a separate issue regarding the gimbal.. Since I have gotten it back I have no longer had the original issue at hand but have noticed it pointing to the left every since..

I did the calibration you suggested today and everything is dead square on.. It was a little precarious balancing the drone on a level surface as shown but I watched the calibration and noticed a FEW MORE CALIBRATION MOVEMENTS not normally associated with the gimbal calibration.. Lo and behold my camera points dead on straight now!!! Took her for a few flights and still straight!! Thank you!!!
2017-4-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-4-27 16:33
Natalia!! THANK YOU!! I have been plagued by this issue for a while and wondered what was wrong with my unit.. It was repaired and sent back to me with a separate issue regarding the gimbal.. Since I have gotten it back I have no longer had the original issue at hand but have noticed it pointing to the left every since..

I did the calibration you suggested today and everything is dead square on.. It was a little precarious balancing the drone on a level surface as shown but I watched the calibration and noticed a FEW MORE CALIBRATION MOVEMENTS not normally associated with the gimbal calibration.. Lo and behold my camera points dead on straight now!!! Took her for a few flights and still straight!! Thank you!!!

Pretty nice, glad to hear it performs fine after you tried to calibrate in that way.
Enjoy and hope you have a great time on flying the drone!
2017-4-29
Use props
fans3e584ba0
New
United Kingdom

I've just done this and it has worked! Hurray
2017-4-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans3e584ba0 Posted at 2017-4-29 00:53
I've just done this and it has worked! Hurray

That's great!
2017-4-29
Use props
Paulo Paulino
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2774265 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

This information comes in very handy, thanks.
2017-4-29
Use props
Brian Liem
lvl.2
Flight distance : 882113 ft
United States

Natalia, Please see attached photos

P4Pro

P4Pro

P4Pro

P4Pro
2017-5-4