Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO file error 2048
1447 17 2017-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TownerStreet
lvl.1

United States

Shot some stuff in Japan on the OSMO and got back home to find that only 1/3 of the clips I shot are playing back properly. The rest are giving me an error that reads (- Error 2048: Couldn't open the file DJI_0076.MOV because its not a file quicktime understands)  I have tried opening in Quicktime, VLC player, latest Premiere and Final Cut X and have had no luck.  Does anyone have an idea of what I could do to salvage the footage?
2017-3-7
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Just to make sure, did you use the SD card on other products before? If that's the case, you should format your SD card before putting it on Osmo or the file might risk corrupted.
2017-3-8
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

I've had this happen before with other cameras. You might not be screwed, It could just be the quicktime wrapper.  If there's even the smallest error in writing that wrapper, QT throws it's hands in the air and says "I don't know what that is."  

The first thing to do it to look at file sizes in finder.  If they're large (100s of M or a few Gigs) that means you've got the data and there's hope.  If file size says zero, then most likely you've got nothing recorded.  

If you've got data ...
1st - Duplicate all the files to a second drive so that you're not messing with the originals.  Be sure and leave those untouched on the card because it might be a card read issue.
2nd - Change the file extension on one of the copies from .mov to .mp4 and see if that file will playback in QT Player, then VLC. If it does ... lather, rise, repeat.
3rd - If .mp4 doesn't work try .m4v (it's unlikely this will work if .mp4 doesn't but worth a try)

If none of that works repost and I throw some other ideas at you.

BTW - If the file extension change works and you're editing in FCPX, make sure you transcode/optimize on import and it'll convert the files to ProRes and then you should be fine going forward.  

Hope it works for you.  I've been in your position more than once.  Hindsight is 20/20 but if you've got a device along that can read a SD card it's always a good idea to tech check in the field so you can catch this stuff early.
2017-3-8
Use props
TownerStreet
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-3-8 03:05
Just to make sure, did you use the SD card on other products before? If that's the case, you should format your SD card before putting it on Osmo or the file might risk corrupted.

The card has only been used on the OSMO.  The previous off load of the card was fine and so was the latter off load.  It is just this bulk of footage that has this error...All the files have typical sizes for video clips so it seems like the data is there but none of them are playing.  
2017-3-8
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

Good news the data is there.  The file extension rename didn't work?
2017-3-8
Use props
TownerStreet
lvl.1

United States

dr.nick Posted at 2017-3-8 11:11
I've had this happen before with other cameras. You might not be screwed, It could just be the quicktime wrapper.  If there's even the smallest error in writing that wrapper, QT throws it's hands in the air and says "I don't know what that is."  

The first thing to do it to look at file sizes in finder.  If they're large (100s of M or a few Gigs) that means you've got the data and there's hope.  If file size says zero, then most likely you've got nothing recorded.  

Appreciate the suggestion but the file renaming didn't work in either format.
2017-3-8
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

TownerStreet Posted at 2017-3-8 17:00

Is it possible you upload the file to Dropbox or Google Drive so we can download and probably help you recover it? If you does, please share the link with us or PM me

Just  put the SD card aside for now since we don't know if it's the card's issue  and use another SD card in your Osmo, shoot some samples and see if the loss-of-video issue shows again.
2017-3-8
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

If the DJI folks don't pan out I've used this successfully before (but it was couple years ago)  http://grauonline.de/cms2/?page_id=5  

I forgot to ask if you were able to play back any of the files in camera via the app.  If you can, one technique I've used with other cameras is to trim a few frames off the start and end of the shot and that will sometimes fix the wrapper error.  Not sure if DJI app has that function though?

And there's also the Treasured service but it's not cheap.
2017-3-8
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

If you use a new SD card with the Osmo, does this issue show up again?
2017-3-9
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

2017-3-9
Use props
TownerStreet
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-3-9 00:05

A new card has not given me any issues.  Same with the old card, seems to be working fine.
2017-3-9
Use props
TownerStreet
lvl.1

United States

dr.nick Posted at 2017-3-8 22:41
If the DJI folks don't pan out I've used this successfully before (but it was couple years ago)  http://grauonline.de/cms2/?page_id=5  

I forgot to ask if you were able to play back any of the files in camera via the app.  If you can, one technique I've used with other cameras is to trim a few frames off the start and end of the shot and that will sometimes fix the wrapper error.  Not sure if DJI app has that function though?

Thanks Dr. Nick, I sent a file over to Thor but haven't heard anything back yet.  If you or anyone else wants to take a crack at it I will PM a link over to you.  

I tried the suggested video repair tool but didn't have any luck with it.  
2017-3-9
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

If you want to PM me a link to short one I'll have a quick look.
2017-3-9
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

TownerStreet Posted at 2017-3-9 06:09
Thanks Dr. Nick, I sent a file over to Thor but haven't heard anything back yet.  If you or anyone else wants to take a crack at it I will PM a link over to you.  

Hi, I talked with engineers, the sample doesn't have enough information.

Would you please

1. Upload the normal video clip aslo that's shot together with the corrupt files.
2. More samples of the corrupt video files.
3. How you operated it.  Did you click the "start" and "pause" in the DJI Go app while shooting? Or use the Osmo handle only.  Did the operation differ from later ones?(After this event, which resulted in normal videos)
2017-3-9
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

TownerStreet Posted at 2017-3-9 06:09

Hi, I checked with engineers. Your Osmo's firmware version is the earliest version, that might be the reason behind it. A lot of issues have been fixed since that version.

We recommend you do a firmware upgrade.

The video
2017-3-10
Use props
TownerStreet
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-3-10 01:01
Hi, I checked with engineers. Your Osmo's firmware version is the earliest version, that might be the reason behind it. A lot of issues have been fixed since that version.

We recommend you do a firmware upgrade.

It was a rental, I will make sure to pass that info. along, thank you.
2017-3-10
Use props
TownerStreet
lvl.1

United States

TownerStreet Posted at 2017-3-10 06:43
It was a rental, I will make sure to pass that info. along, thank you.

I still haven't found a solution to get playback.  Are there any other suggestions out there?
2017-3-17
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

Sent you a DM.
2017-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules