Samsung Galaxy Mega Phone "[SOLVED]"
1277 7 2017-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 48146 ft
United States

I have an older Samsung Galaxy Mega Phone android ver 4.4.2.
I tried to download the DJI GO 4 app & it said my device is not supported.
The phone works great for video & i thought it would be great not to have to use my I phone 6plus.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to look for in a used phone with a nice screen?
I dont want cell service just want ot use it for flying.

2017-3-7
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Snapdragon 400 is just too old

You need a phone with a CPU more powerful than Snapgragon 801
2017-3-7
Use props
JohnMcL7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15295 ft
Belgium

The Galaxy Note 3 and Note 4 are both officially supported by DJI and have fairly decent screen sizes, as they're older now they should be fairly cheap.  I've been using a Sony Z Ultra which is very similar to the Galaxy Mega with a 6.44in screen but a more powerful Snapdragon 800 although it's not officially supported by DJI and some people have reported frequent crashes with it.  I've had the odd crash but it's generally usable, it's difficult to tell with Android and DJI Go as people seem to have varying experiences.

If I was buying a dedicated device for the Mavic, I'd go for an iPad Mini 2 16 GB cellular as you can get refurbished ones pretty cheap and they seem to work consistently well with the Mavic and DJI Go.
2017-3-8
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
United States

Will the IPad Mini 4 or Mini 2 fit in the controllers loving arms?

Is the cpu & ios OK for the DJI Go 4 app on each of the above?

Do i need to be connected to Cell Service as long as i don't need to change my area ie. (Airports -Air Strips) that might be yellow.

Does it mater if the GPS on the phone only works with Cell Service & is that a true statement?

Does the phone need GPS at all?
2017-3-8
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

I tried using a Samsung Mega as well. I had the same issue as you, couldnt download it from the Play Store. What I did was I download the app from the web and installed it on the device. It runs, but very slowly. It lags a lot just opening the app and accessing the settings. Since it didn't run well I decided not to fly with it so I wouldn't be able to tell how the video feed looks. Its a shame because it would have been a great big screen device to use with the Mavic controller
2017-3-8
Use props
JohnMcL7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15295 ft
Belgium

Rick-Becco Posted at 2017-3-8 09:58
Will the IPad Mini 4 or Mini 2 fit in the controllers loving arms?

Is the cpu & ios OK for the DJI Go 4 app on each of the above?

The Ipad Mini 2/4 will fit within the controller's arms although you'll probably want to get a 90 degree lightning cable so the cable isn't sticking straight out the side.  If you have a look on Youtube you'll find videos of the Mavic controller with the Ipad Mini.

The CPU and IOS are fine for DJI Go 4 on both the Mini 2 and 4, the Mini 4 is newer and likely supported longer.

You don't need to be connected to the cell service all the time, the reason I mentioned the cellular version is because it has a GPS receiver.  GPS isn't a requirement, it's only used if you want to fly the drone to your current position automatically.
2017-3-8
Use props
Wes1977
lvl.2
Flight distance : 363862 ft
United States

I can't get the Samsung Tab 4 7" to work anymore.  I think the list of compatible was not for the dji go 4 app.  Take a look at this:  http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid688015

It's bigger than a normal phone and fits in the controller nicely.
2017-3-8
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
United States

Well i got lucky I went to Fred Meyers today & they had the iPad mini 4 - 16gb WI-fi for $279.00. I took the plunge & now have to get it up & running.

Thanks fore advice.
2017-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules