RAW Handling & Workflow // Feature Request
799 5 2017-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joejoe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 194003 ft
Germany

There are two major issues I see with the I2 and X5S Raw recordings.

1.: File Size
2.: Data Handling
3.: lack of Proxies

1.: I think the raw files are way too disk space intense. Within a few flights you´d gather a huge amount of data that you immediately have to archive.
Something like 8 years ago RED had it´s Red One with 4k RAW.

back then SSD Drives weren´t common so you had to record on CF Cards. RED managed to do so. Also the CF cards were reeaaaly small, something like 8GB or 16GB.
Sure: You had to copy your files regularly. But with only 2 x 16GB cards you´ve been able to do accomplish serious shoots on budget. 4k RAW.

2.: The Raw Files of the DJI are really hard to handle. Even the H264 movs are slow as hell when rendered in After Effects.

I think also Windows users need a solution to be able to view and manage and delete their files easily within a small software.

3.: Besides a smaller file size if we had small h264 Proxy named identical to the raw files working would be waaaay easier.
2017-3-8
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.3
Flight distance : 921693 ft
United States

what machine are you on? in specific graphics card and ram?
2017-3-8
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

Why can't/don't you just create a proxy in after effects? then switch back to high res before you export???
2017-3-8
Use props
joejoe
lvl.2
Germany

because it needs some extra waiting time to be able to check the footage. Let´s say you´re outdoors only with a notebook,...

I´m using a PC, Win10, 32GB, Geforce GTX 780 Ti & TitanX
2017-3-8
Use props
raven4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 86194 ft
United States

RAW is RAW. There are compressed variants of RAW, like SLIMRAW, but, any kind of destructive compression process has to be avoided. Negates the reason for shooting RAW. No way around that.
H264/H265 is a highly compressed format that takes some CPU grunt to decompress and playback. Even some of the newer systems, 1080 GTX have problems with RT playback. I've got a workflow that uses CONVERT4 to change H265 to ProRes/DNxHD, before I injest to Davinci Resolve. Note that After FX is NOT an editing system. It's designed for special FX creation, so using it as an NLE is slow and cumbersome.
2017-3-8
Use props
joejoe
lvl.2
Germany

RED has compression ratios you can use. I never used the best ratio of 1:1!

DJI´s H264s are way more cpu-intense than regular h264. To me it just feels there´s something not quite right.

AE is a comping system. So somehow you need to also handle your footage with AE ;)
2017-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules