Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic won't hold altitude long
8984 26 2017-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans45d5ae19
lvl.1

United States

I found that my Mavic I've had for only a little over a week won't hold altitude. When flying i try to just have it hover and it will either move up or down on its own and I have to adjust to compensate to get it back to were I had it. When it moves on it's own it doesn't show the height change at all on the controller.I recalibrated the IMU and it still does the same thing.I tried turning off the obstacle avoiding on front and the bottom and that just makes it worse!Is there something wrong?Also it starts off showing the correct height on take off, but after I go up and down a few times it doesn't register right it will drone it is 6' high when it is only 3' high!Any help would be greatly appreciated,Thanks!
2017-3-8
Use props
AACY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518012 ft
China

When you turn the Mavic on, do you noticed if the ultrasonic sensors are on? They are at the bottom of the device and emit a fast clicking sound.
2017-3-8
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Did it just start or it was happenning since you got it? Make sure you took the sticker off the bottom of the 2 VPS. Last resort do a COLD IMU calib. leave the AC outside in  the cold for at least 1/2 and then when you bring it back start calibration on 100% level surface.
2017-3-8
Use props
Pandakev
Flight distance : 548763 ft
Australia

My mavic is the same, i think this is a firmware issue. did this happen before the latest firmware for you? also were their any wind?
2017-3-8
Use props
AACY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518012 ft
China

Altitude is not hold by the optical sensors, the altitude is being hold by the ultrasonic sensors up to 10-15meters after that the barometer takes over. The visual sensors only work to hold the drone in the X and Y axis.
2017-3-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Please try with dronist's advice and could you please let me know your current firmware version?
2017-3-8
Use props
fans45d5ae19
lvl.1

United States

I have the latest firmware.Im not home so I can't give the exact but I updated it 3 days ago it was the one for gimbal calibration.This is when flying indoors at a max height of about 8 ft!If I bring it up to 4 ft and let it sit it will slowly climb up 1-3 feet, this does not show on my go 4 app!Then I'll bring it back down to 4 feet and move it up a little and it say it's at 6-8 feet!When I first did my first update after it was done it said sensor error, when I turned it off and restarted it , it went away! Also yaw seems to slowly rotate clockwise!I saw Athena. Where a guy had the same issue and DJI had to replace the core board! I called customer service last night and the guy said this was normal!!This is not Normal my P3S doesn't do this!!
2017-3-9
Use props
Phan-TOM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 61184 ft
  • >>>
United States

Iv'e been noticing erratic flight behavior in my Mavic and decided to  try and recalibrate everything.  The issue persists even after firmware  update today, and fresh  IMU and compass calibration.. I have a 600 foot  long nearly flat paved  driveway with trees on both sides. The driveway  is a straight line to  the road.  I'm simply trying to fly up to the  end of my driveway and  back, by flying straight up the center of the  driveway at about 6 feet  off the ground ...   I am flying faster than  tripod speed, but nowhere  near the max speed  in non-sport mode.  Doing  this seems to go fine for  about 50 feet or so, and then the drone will  entirely on its own  suddenly lose altitude to the point of scraping  the  driveway unless I compensate and save it. It will also  suddenly  move  laterally right or left entirely uncommanded, and on one  occasion  flying a straight line it actually suddenly climbed to about  25 feet  altitude  barely missing the canopy of the trees overhead  because I  caught it in time but I had to hold full down stick to get it  to stop climbing.  Occasionally when flying forward in a straight line  at about  half speed when I go to stop it won't just stop and hover, but  will stop and then fly backwards or sideways about five or 6 feet.    Obviously the  small deviations are no big deal when you're 300 feet in  the air over  an open scenic area, but when you are trying to  fly  precisely in a  confined area these uncommanded deviations could  result in a crash very  easily. (I also tried to do a stick calibration  on the transmitter, but it wont let me.. every time I try to start the  calibration it just pops up a warning to be sure to return sticks to  center before hitting start, obviously they are centered, because they  are self centering sticks.
2017-7-18
Use props
maxmavic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 357792 ft
United States

Hey I'm experiencing a similar issue. I just received my mavic back from DJI repair because the gimbal stopped moving and they said that it was covered under warranty. (My original mavic was flying Perfectly right out of the box) But this one they sent me back was not mine. this one WONT hover steady. it either goes up or down. wont  hold altitude. I did all troubleshooting steps and I almost lost it. It kept climbing up high on its own over 400 feet it got me scared I thought thats it Im losing my mavic, I called DJI and they said to send it back for replacement. I'm worried whatever they are going to send me is going to be used and with issues. I paid for a brand new one just 4 weeks ago and the gimbal issue wasnt my fault. why now I have to deal with a used (short life) mavic. I hope you can tell me how you fixed yours. thanks  
2017-8-14
Use props
maxmavic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 357792 ft
United States

maxmavic Posted at 2017-8-14 16:25
Hey I'm experiencing a similar issue. I just received my mavic back from DJI repair because the gimbal stopped moving and they said that it was covered under warranty. (My original mavic was flying Perfectly right out of the box) But this one they sent me back was not mine. this one WONT hover steady. it either goes up or down. wont  hold altitude. I did all troubleshooting steps and I almost lost it. It kept climbing up high on its own over 400 feet it got me scared I thought thats it Im losing my mavic, I called DJI and they said to send it back for replacement. I'm worried whatever they are going to send me is going to be used and with issues. I paid for a brand new one just 4 weeks ago and the gimbal issue wasnt my fault. why now I have to deal with a used (short life) mavic. I hope you can tell me how you fixed yours. thanks

NEW UPDATE :{ I Crashed my Mavic in the tree but it didn't break in pieces. just bruises and dents. I lost control over the Mavic when i turned low it was going lower in its own till it hit the tree branch and fell 19.

Now I don't know would this be covered under warranty or dji care refresh but I prefer not to waste my 2  other chances where its completely my fault not the aircraft's, lets see what happens
2017-8-16
Use props
fans3d9e1631
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69528 ft
United Kingdom

I have the exact same altitude drifting. Using latest firmware 2days ago. It appears to happen where the downward sensors change to barometer for altitude. First short flight of the day appears ok after that the drifting starts. Sometimes I have to pull throttle stick fully down to initiate landing, which luckily it does!  I don,t trust it anymore, so this needs fixing please!
2017-9-3
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans45d5ae19 Posted at 2017-3-9 04:46
I have the latest firmware.Im not home so I can't give the exact but I updated it 3 days ago it was the one for gimbal calibration.This is when flying indoors at a max height of about 8 ft!If I bring it up to 4 ft and let it sit it will slowly climb up 1-3 feet, this does not show on my go 4 app!Then I'll bring it back down to 4 feet and move it up a little and it say it's at 6-8 feet!When I first did my first update after it was done it said sensor error, when I turned it off and restarted it , it went away! Also yaw seems to slowly rotate clockwise!I saw Athena. Where a guy had the same issue and DJI had to replace the core board! I called customer service last night and the guy said this was normal!!This is not Normal my P3S doesn't do this!!

I believe the vertical adjustments are occurring because the mavic is using the downwards vision sensors to maintain height when it's below 50ft, flying indoors if the floor is an even color it has difficulty in discerning where it is. Also the low light indoors would not help the vision sensors
2017-9-3
Use props
Riplex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 226125 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Same Problem here with new Mavic and Firmware 1000. The Mavic flys and then the VPS goes to N/A and the mavic climb on its own. I have to pull the left stick down so the mavic starts landing.
2017-9-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Riplex Posted at 2017-9-3 02:34
Same Problem here with new Mavic and Firmware 1000. The Mavic flys and then the VPS goes to N/A and the mavic climb on its own. I have to pull the left stick down so the mavic starts landing.

There are a few things that might be causing this: for example, something attached like a tracker or landing gear extension or debris in the bottom sensors. Remove any attachments and check and remove any debris that may be present. If that doesn't help then try calibrating the VPS system using the tutorial video below. And lastly, if that still doesn't fix the problem then upload a DAT file from a flight where this behavior occurs and I'll check to see if it's a problem with the sensors being faulty.

DAT files are stored on the Mavic and the instructions for retrieving them are here. The correct file will have a timestamp that corresponds to when the flight occurred and be at least tens of megabytes in size. Once you've retrieved the file you'll need to upload it to DropBox and provide a link to it in this thread and I'll take a look.

In the meantime, here's the VPS calibration tutorial video:

2017-9-3
Use props
Riplex
Second Officer
Flight distance : 226125 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I already calibrated the VPS System with the DJI Assistant 2 Software. There are no DAT files saved on the drone. Maybe Firmware 1000 bug ?

Edit:

Now i tried to reinstall the Firmware and do a factory reset. Then i go and make a testflight.
No chance. The Mavic starts and continiue climbing until i press the left stick down.
When i disable VPS in the settings then i can fly without problems but many flightmodes are not working
without Vps.
2017-9-3
Use props
fans3d9e1631
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69528 ft
United Kingdom

I have just carried out IMU calibration exactly as App procedure on a 100 percent flat surface. Mavic was cool at about 12deg C. Battery fully charged and cool. Launch App and immediately carry out calibration before Mavic warms up. Figures on sensors are close to zero. Also calibrated compasses, one was poor although not prompted to calibrate. Flew yesterday tho windy and appears OK, had leg extenders on. Did notice altitude display on controller occasionally displayed 0 feet tho Mavic was about 10 feet height?
2017-9-7
Use props
Reclaimer106
lvl.3
Flight distance : 427382 ft
Netherlands

I got same problem. Did you solve it? I opened a thread to describe my problem here : https://forum.dji.com/thread-159270-1-1.html. Does this look familiar to you guys? Should I request a repair or await DJI staff to reply?
2018-7-30
Use props
Stephen Lewy
lvl.1

Indonesia

i Have some problem with the altitude hold.  The mavic air position could not hold the position,  drone move away any where, up an down,  right and left,  backward and forward.  Is this normal condition if we flight in the night?.  I did many calibration,  remote calibration,  comoass,  imu,  but still the same.  This trouble suit doesnt declare in the manual book.  Makes many people confuses
2018-7-31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Stephen Lewy Posted at 2018-7-31 16:52
i Have some problem with the altitude hold.  The mavic air position could not hold the position,  drone move away any where, up an down,  right and left,  backward and forward.  Is this normal condition if we flight in the night?.  I did many calibration,  remote calibration,  comoass,  imu,  but still the same.  This trouble suit doesnt declare in the manual book.  Makes many people confuses

Hi, sorry for the troubles that it caused, I would like to ask if your this issue occurs during the daytime?  Please keep us posted for further help.
2018-8-1
Use props
Stephen Lewy
lvl.1

Indonesia

I did it at day night
2018-8-1
Use props
Stephen Lewy
lvl.1

Indonesia

Brother and sister,  could i be advised about the fcc mode? Cause i could not move from ce mode setting to fcc mode.  My issued eas,  i got nothing notification to confirm OK or CANCEL,  when we launch tha dji app.  Any one of u had that same issued?
2018-8-1
Use props
Stephen Lewy
lvl.1

Indonesia

Hi,  could i be advised about fcc mode setting?  I failed to set fcc mode from CE Mode.  My issued was,  i got nothing notification OK or CANCEl,  while we launch the dji app. Did any one of u had the same issued?
2018-8-1
Use props
Stephen Lewy
lvl.1

Indonesia

Does it caused by update firmware,  so fcc mode could not be set up?
2018-8-2
Use props
Stephen Lewy
lvl.1

Indonesia

Hi all,  i had got my fcc mode setting yesterday.  The conclusion was, new update firmware still could be set as a fcc mode.  
2018-8-3
Use props
Aaron Dallas
New

United States

Hopefully this helps anyone experiencing altitude drift... Mavic pro was running perfect,, went out of town for a week and left battery out.  Went to fly and experienced lateral and altitude drift.. recalibrated everything several times and no luck..  Hard reset and no luck..  I began to think it was a harware failure..  took it back up again and verified altitude sensors vps etc were functing..  Before issue began,the only thing i did was leave the battery out.  So I charged a battery, recalibrated drone then left battery in for 24 hours..  Took it up and no issues... I'm not  a techy and it could be coincidence.  Hope it's not and this helps spome folks out... Repost if this fix worked for you.
2019-12-4
Use props
fans078bde96
New

Finland

I am having the same issue with Mavic 3 elevating on its own. I was flying over frozen lake and a sunny day. This hasn’t happend before. The M3 elevates on its own in C and N mode but not on S-mode. Since S-mode does not use obstacle avoidance system could be because if that? Starting to get pi**ed off with all the issues with M3. Still have my M2pro. I think I will stick to that.
2022-1-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Captain
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If  you do a google search for this problem and the M3 it is likely that you will find several relevant threads in various forums.
2022-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules