Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Soft focus? Call me crazy...
1075 8 2017-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sangarone
lvl.3
United States

Admittedly I am very new to the drone world I only received my Mavic about a month ago, and I like many many others am very disappointed in the lack of detail in focus when making videos in 4k (or any resolution). The two main reasons I decided to spend a whopping $1000 on a drone were the compact size making it easy to travel with, and the 4k capabilities. Once I got the hang of flying, I was devasted at the lack of detail in the video peripherals (especially trees).  Ive scoured all the forums and read everybodys thoughts on hardware issues/software bugs/codecs(I dont even know what a codec is)/mbps/sharpen settings etc etc etc.  If someone claims to be an engineer on a message board says its a compression issue or something to do with the codec, fine ill believe him...

But I havent seen a single person bring up aperture... Thinking about the issue in very simple terms, arent we kind of supposed to expect relatively soft details at depths or in peripherals?? No landscape photographer on the planet would ever consider shooting horseshoe bend or the Manhattan skyline at f/2.8, so why do we expect to get professional grade crisp details?

I dunno, I might be dumbing it down way too much but I guess this is just me coming to terms with expectations vs reality.
2017-3-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please clarify your current firmware version? Is the firmware up to date?
If convenient, please upload some original images or videos to dropbox and provide me with the link.
I'll help to check it.
2017-3-8
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.3
United States

Yes newest firmware was updated same day as flying...  I dont use dropbox but here is the google drive link.

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... UVNYdVk?usp=sharing

It will be hard to come to any conclusions using a screen grab like that but just look at the trees in relation to anything with a defined angle (like houses, benches, basketball hoop etc)
2017-3-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Sangarone Posted at 2017-3-9 00:16
Yes newest firmware was updated same day as flying...  I dont use dropbox but here is the google drive link.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-vopH2caf3iNVlwaHhBUVNYdVk?usp=sharing

Could you please do not rename the original images and upload it again?
Were you using manual focus or auto focus?
2017-3-9
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.3
United States

Ok, I only included 2 stills with the default file names out of paint screen grab.

And I was using autofocus, intermittently tapping the screen.
2017-3-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Sangarone Posted at 2017-3-9 01:02
Ok, I only included 2 stills with the default file names out of paint screen grab.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-vopH2caf3iNVlwaHhBUVNYdVk?usp=sharing

Sorry, the files are the screenshots instead of the original files.
Please copy the original images from SD card then upload it again.
It's probably a hardware issue according to the screenshot you send to me.
But without the original images, I cannot make sure of it.
I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear.
2017-3-9
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.3
United States

Thats the link for the video, in cinelike and unedited... I just refuse to believe that DJI could have possibly sent out this many drones with "hardware issues"
2017-3-9
Use props
SnowBirdNL
lvl.1
Canada

Mavic is definitely capable of doing better focus than that!!

What I found works best (you maybe already tried this but just in case for others who might not know):

- Is to enable the Manual Focus mode in settings (which of course gives a button on the screen during flight to switch between manual and auto focus on the "fly").
- Then at beginning of flight, find the furthest object you can find (ascend if necessary)
- Tap on the distance area/object for the "Auto Focus"
- When is dialed in, now switch to manual.
- (FYI, enabling "Peak Focus" setting will add visual indication on the screen of what is focused in. Whatever has the most red around it is considered focused)

Now the focus wont change during flight, and will have sharpest possible for all distances during flight.

Doing this gives me way clearer video than my Phantom 4 which before I already thought was clear as could want!!

Again I apologize if you already tried this..
2017-3-9
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.3
United States

I havent, but I will... I was under the impression that infinity focus would blur anything within 10m of the lens.
2017-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules