Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Another "flyaway" experience
2796 34 2017-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Schata
lvl.4
Flight distance : 727641 ft
Germany

Hi guys!

Today I my Mavic did something strange. After taking off and pushing the right stick the drone started to fly almost at 100% of speed sideways. It was extremely scary. Then I took the finger from the stick but it continued to fly away. Then I tried to get it under controll by pushing in the opposite direction. Pushing the stick 100% made it slow down and fly in the direction I wanted it to do. When I released the stick again it started an own show and flew away again.
Fortunately I was 5m above the ground and in an extremely wide free field. At a point I simply pushed the left stick down to let it land.
After rebooting everything worked fine again. Now I´m extremely confused about that.
Mavic has the latest firmware, nothing changed since the flight before this fail. A bettery before (turned only off for swapping the battery) I enjoyed a 4km flight without any problem.

The only thing was that I changed the place a put the gimbal clamp into place. When booted the app showed a gimbal overload. Then I removed the clamp and the gimbal initialzed without pushing any button and I did not restart. Then it took off and was doing crazy things.

The screenshots show what it did.

First pic: It shows how it is flying sideways without touch any stick. It was directly after taking off and it hovered fine. Then I slightly pushed the right stick to make it fly in the direction of the red arrow. But it flew sideways. As you can see from the pic no stick is touched.

Second pic: Here it shows how the drone is flying a curve wihtout touching the sticks.

Third pic: Here you can see that I pull the right stick completely down but the drone flies the way it wants.

Somebody else did see that or similar?

Thanks

Alex

Pic 1

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 3
2017-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Really you need to put up here your flight logs you can upload to healthydrones.com or http://www.phantomhelp.com/Phantom-4/#DataLog, once you've uploaded just post the link here, all you have to do go to web site and follow instructions.

Just one point in picture 3 , you were actually holding both sticks down , this is command for backwards and down.
2017-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

This is also a link which will help put up your flight from the app.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008
2017-3-9
Use props
Schata
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-9 08:55
Really you need to put up here your flight logs you can upload to healthydrones.com or http://www.phantomhelp.com/Phantom-4/#DataLog, once you've uploaded just post the link here, all you have to do go to web site and follow instructions.

Just one point in picture 3 , you were actually holding both sticks down , this is command for backwards and down.

I know. At this point I was already about bringing it back to the ground. Vertical direction was correct but it  in horizontal it did what it wanted to.
2017-3-9
Use props
Schata
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-9 08:55

As in many other threads DJI stuff told that healthydrones is useless in detail analyzing, I didnt do it.

But will try it later.

Thanks
2017-3-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sync your flight records and provide your email used with the GO app and I will review the flight.
2017-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Schata Posted at 2017-3-9 09:07
As in many other threads DJI stuff told that healthydrones is useless in detail analyzing, I didnt do it.

But will try it later.

I agree it's ok for some stuff but on the whole not very good.
2017-3-9
Use props
fans7ed87dd9

United States

Same exact thing happened to me... Though it was only the second flight I ever had with it, total flying time of about 4 minutes for the life of the drone... It is now sitting in a box somewhere at the DJI repair center waiting to be fixed. Good luck I hope they're faster for you!
2017-3-9
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I'm not saying this has anything to do with your failure of control.  However, it "might".  You say you did not restart the drone when you got the gimbal free and cleared the error.  I would consider it much better practice to completely reboot  the drone, the app, and the controller anytime there is an error like that.  Shut it down, clear the error, and reboot it.  Don't rush it, just reboot it, especially the aircraft.  Doing the controller and app is just additional assurance that everything gets a fresh start without errors.
2017-3-9
Use props
Shapelizer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12562 ft
Norway

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-9 09:25
Sync your flight records and provide your email used with the GO app and I will review the flight.

Ive experienced the same thing. How do I "sync the flight records"?
2017-3-9
Use props
Schata
lvl.4
Germany

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-9 09:25

Hi Ken,

I sent you a PM but just in case my email is info@lasertack.com

Thanks

Alex
2017-3-9
Use props
Schata
lvl.4
Germany

fans7ed87dd9 Posted at 2017-3-9 10:46
Same exact thing happened to me... Though it was only the second flight I ever had with it, total flying time of about 4 minutes for the life of the drone... It is now sitting in a box somewhere at the DJI repair center waiting to be fixed. Good luck I hope they're faster for you!

Thank you!

It will go back anyway due to a gimbal issue. It was the last flight just to take detailed photos to show the gimbal problem but then that "nice" thing happend.

Good luck to you getting your ones back soon.
2017-3-9
Use props
Schata
lvl.4
Germany

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-3-9 11:29
I'm not saying this has anything to do with your failure of control.  However, it "might".  You say you did not restart the drone when you got the gimbal free and cleared the error.  I would consider it much better practice to completely reboot  the drone, the app, and the controller anytime there is an error like that.  Shut it down, clear the error, and reboot it.  Don't rush it, just reboot it, especially the aircraft.  Doing the controller and app is just additional assurance that everything gets a fresh start without errors.

Sure, it can be done but I simply did not think about a total reboot. I also cannot imagine how a gimbal error may cause a flyaway.
Electronics and codes used arent simple so a "simple" gimbal error may cause a false behavior ending in flyaway. But, again, thats nothing you count with when you get a simple error.
When a blocked gimbal causes flyaways it is a very serious thing DJI need to take care of.
Sent the data to Ken. Maybe they will find out what happened.

Thanks

Alex
2017-3-9
Use props
Schata
lvl.4
Germany

Nice one. I uploaded the data to healthydrones and it prooved to be completely useless (at least in this case).
When I go to "Controls" Rudder Response and Rudder Map shows nothing but "Not enough data to display reliable results. Please try uploading a longer flight.".

What a help
2017-3-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Schata Posted at 2017-3-9 11:54
Hi Ken,

I sent you a PM but just in case my email is

When you open the app, top right corner (three lines) tap that, then Flight Record, then top right (cloud Icon) and tap that and choose the Sync (1 month, 6 months, or all).
2017-3-9
Use props
Schata
lvl.4
Germany

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-9 13:29
When you open the app, top right corner (three lines) tap that, then Flight Record, then top right (cloud Icon) and tap that and choose the Sync (1 month, 6 months, or all).

Hi Ken,

I already did that. All flights are synced. Cant you find the flight?

Thanks

Alex
2017-3-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Shapelizer Posted at 2017-3-9 11:40
Ive experienced the same thing. How do I "sync the flight records"?

2017-3-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Schata Posted at 2017-3-9 13:31
Hi Ken,

I already did that. All flights are synced. Cant you find the flight?

Sorry, that reply was for the other person.
I've looked at the beginning of your last two flights and do not see anything out of the ordinary. Your stick movements match what the aircraft does.
If you go back to the flight record and tap the RC icon it will overlay the sticks then play the record and you will see when you move the stick the aircraft moves in that direction.
When you are at speed it does take some time to correct the direction.Actually I do see in the 2nd flight something.
If you can calibrate the compass and possibly do a IMU calibration to see if it resolves it.
2017-3-9
Use props
Schata
lvl.4
Germany

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-9 13:40
Sorry, that reply was for the other person.
I've looked at the beginning of your last two flights and do not see anything out of the ordinary. Your stick movements match what the aircraft does.
If you go back to the flight record and tap the RC icon it will overlay the sticks then play the record and you will see when you move the stick the aircraft moves in that direction.

Thank you, Ken!

The flight after this crazy one was perfect. Absolutely no sign of something strange.This time I had enough space so it didnt get dangerous but when the space were tighter the drone would have crashed against something or somebody for sure.
How can that happen? It simply flew away.
When compass or IMU were an issue it would have happen the next flight but it did not.

You exactly see that I did not touch anything but the drone flew and when I tried to control it, it flew in the wrong direction, right?

Alex

2017-3-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Schata Posted at 2017-3-9 14:08
Thank you, Ken!

The flight after this crazy one was perfect. Absolutely no sign of something strange.This time I had enough space so it didnt get dangerous but when the space were tighter the drone would have crashed against something or somebody for sure.

It almost seems like the compass is off and causing it. That's why I suggested a compass calibration and maybe even a IMU calibration.
You can also try a factory restore from the Assistant2 and see if that helps.
2017-3-9
Use props
Schata
lvl.4
Germany

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-9 14:31
It almost seems like the compass is off and causing it. That's why I suggested a compass calibration and maybe even a IMU calibration.
You can also try a factory restore from the Assistant2 and see if that helps.

Ok. Thanks.

But as the flight after was perfect I dont really know how to prove whether it helped or not.
2017-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Schata Posted at 2017-3-9 14:35
Ok. Thanks.

But as the flight after was perfect I dont really know how to prove whether it helped or not.

A good exercise when going flying.

Raise your AC 8 feet hover for 30 seconds, fly forward 3 feet backward 3 feet left/right 3 feet up/down 3 feet yaw right yaw left , if AC does as you command and returns to horizontal each time, you will then know you have good compass good IMU and gps, it takes less than two minutes and will give you reassurance that all the basics are operating fine..

Good luck..
2017-3-9
Use props
AESTHETIC VIEWS
lvl.1
United States

did calibrating  compass and IMU help out?
2017-3-9
Use props
Schata
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-9 14:46
A good exercise when going flying.

Raise your AC 8 feet hover for 30 seconds, fly forward 3 feet backward 3 feet left/right 3 feet up/down 3 feet yaw right yaw left , if AC does as you command and returns to horizontal each time, you will then know you have good compass good IMU and gps, it takes less than two minutes and will give you reassurance that all the basics are operating fine..

Thank you!
2017-3-9
Use props
Schata
lvl.4
Germany

AESTHETIC VIEWS Posted at 2017-3-9 14:57
did calibrating  compass and IMU help out?

Did only a reboot. No calibration or something else. Then it worked again as it should.
2017-3-9
Use props
ButchS64
New
Flight distance : 19314 ft
United States

Hi all-
Just had my first flyaway crash today.  Luckily it hit a tree low to the ground and (hopefully) hasn't sustained any major damage.  I flew a short test flight (uneasy, test flight) afterwards and all "seems" ok.  However it is NOT a good feeling because I have no clue why it took off the way it did.
I had it in the air, just trying to practice the 'follow me' mode.  I was successful on my first attempt.  However, on the second, it just took off.  I couldn't regain control.
Could someone look and tell me what happened?  The only thing I see is a drop in Cell Deviation... at that point you can see it just picks up speed and takes off on it's own.
Thanks in advance.  I feel fortunate not to have lost it, and just want to understand why it happened in case it was pilot error.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/BOBN7HJ96Z4D6630RWSR/
2017-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ButchS64 Posted at 2017-5-18 10:11
Hi all-
Just had my first flyaway crash today.  Luckily it hit a tree low to the ground and (hopefully) hasn't sustained any major damage.  I flew a short test flight (uneasy, test flight) afterwards and all "seems" ok.  However it is NOT a good feeling because I have no clue why it took off the way it did.
I had it in the air, just trying to practice the 'follow me' mode.  I was successful on my first attempt.  However, on the second, it just took off.  I couldn't regain control.

Hi Butch564, had a look at your logs doesn't seem much strange in them, there was deviation in cells in your battery don't know if this has something to do with your crash.

Think you should set up your own thread and there are some others around here who can read dat file might be able to give you some more help, I'll leave a link below to where it will show you how to upload your dat file.

https://datfile.net/DatCon/fieldsV3MP.html
Good luck
2017-5-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ButchS64 Posted at 2017-5-18 10:11
Hi all-

Sorry for your crash, Here is the link to send it in and they will perform a flight data analysis to determine the cause. When you said "it took off" did you try to cancekl the Follow Me or would it not let you cancel it.
https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
2017-5-18
Use props
ButchS64
New
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-18 10:52
Hi Butch564, had a look at your logs doesn't seem much strange in them, there was deviation in cells in your battery don't know if this has something to do with your crash.

Think you should set up your own thread and there are some others around here who can read dat file might be able to give you some more help, I'll leave a link below to where it will show you how to upload your dat file.

Thank you for the information!
2017-5-18
Use props
ButchS64
New
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-18 11:00
Sorry for your crash, Here is the link to send it in and they will perform a flight data analysis to determine the cause. When you said "it took off" did you try to cancekl the Follow Me or would it not let you cancel it.
https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area

I tried to cancel- it wouldn't.  Not sure what happened.  It hovered, then spun around on it's own and then 'took off', meaning it just flew on it's own, quickly!  I couldn't gain control.  Wasn't much time to do anything.  Thanks!
2017-5-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ButchS64 Posted at 2017-5-18 11:53
I tried to cancel- it wouldn't.  Not sure what happened.  It hovered, then spun around on it's own and then 'took off', meaning it just flew on it's own, quickly!  I couldn't gain control.  Wasn't much time to do anything.  Thanks!

What's your DJI GO app email and sync your flight records and I will review the flight to see if I see anything.
2017-5-18
Use props
ButchS64
New
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-18 12:50
What's your DJI GO app email and sync your flight records and I will review the flight to see if I see anything.

Thanks Ken-
app email:  1800getbutch@gmail.com
I've attached the .dat file.
And here is the link to the log.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/BOBN7HJ96Z4D6630RWSR/

I started a thread on this and got a reply:

"The problem with follow me mode is it uses your mobile device's GPS  instead of the AC's GPS.  And sometimes a phone or tablet's GPS will  jump around.  When that happens, the drone will fly very rapidly to the  mobile device's GPS position even if it isn't correct.  It's a common  problem.  It's wise to be in an open area and have more than the usual  number of satellites when invoking Follow Me.  Also, it would be wise to  be conscious of how you are holding the mobile device or  controller.  You don't want to hold it so that it's too close to you or  under you thereby blocking its GPS."

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks again!
Butch

2017-05-18 12_01_16.dat.zip

466 Bytes, Down times: 0

2017-5-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ButchS64 Posted at 2017-5-18 13:52
Thanks Ken-
app email:  
I've attached the .dat file.

Your phone's GPS signal may be blocked but the aircraft should cancel Follow me and hold it's position.
For your DAT files to be read, start a ticket with support and the flight data analysis team will review the flight.
But since it's been crashed, you should use the link I gave you earlier and send it in and they will review the flight log directly from the flight data recorder.

That email has no flights associated with it, so either you didn't sync your flight records from the device you fly with or there's another email account.
2017-5-19
Use props
ButchS64
New
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-19 06:54
Your phone's GPS signal may be blocked but the aircraft should cancel Follow me and hold it's position.
For your DAT files to be read, start a ticket with support and the flight data analysis team will review the flight.
But since it's been crashed, you should use the link I gave you earlier and send it in and they will review the flight log directly from the flight data recorder.

Sorry Ken- forgot to sync.  I have done so.
Yes, I will use the link to correspond with DJI.
Thanks again!
2017-5-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ButchS64 Posted at 2017-5-19 15:42
Sorry Ken- forgot to sync.  I have done so.
Yes, I will use the link to correspond with DJI.
Thanks again!

No problem, have a great weekend.
2017-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules