Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Release date on new Firmware?
1816 20 2017-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Advocate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Is there any news on a release date for the firmware that will unlock / allow the use of the new terrain follow and gesture modes in DJi Go 4?

Cheers,

Alistair
2017-3-9
Use props
CubbyJonson
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How long is a piece of string??
2017-3-9
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

It will happen when it happens. Beta testers have already alluded to the new features, but no one knows when they will be released.
2017-3-9
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Maxxgold Posted at 2017-3-9 15:31
It will happen when it happens. Beta testers have already alluded to the new features, but no one knows when they will be released.

I've proposed in other posts my view that DJI are in 'catch-up' mode. All of their models now obviously share a common code base, as I evidenced when I tested out the P4 Beta in January (amongst other things, I experienced a problem which I'd only seen before on my P4P).
But releasing new firmware for the P4P as a priority makes best market sense, and common-sense says you don't go Big Bang across the product range. So, we need to be careful what we ask for now. And if you've been reading of experiences with the latest P4P update (including the issue with Litchi and Autopilot 3rd party apps), I'm happy to hold off for some fixes, which should flow down-stream to the P4 update.
2017-3-9
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Maxxgold Posted at 2017-3-9 15:31

Or even "if" they will be released. With the apparent decision to stop production of the P4, DJI may well decide to not proceed with adding any new features.

What we can be sure about if they do release new firmware is :-
. it will happen without any prior notification in these threads ( I suspect the DJI contributors in this thread are frustrated because they also don't find out until the firmware is actually released)
. There may well be undocumented restrictions or other changes which negatively affect our flight experience which will not be included in the release notes.

Hopefully, there is a further release with some new features but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it.
2017-3-9
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

JockC Posted at 2017-3-9 19:47
Or even "if" they will be released. With the apparent decision to stop production of the P4, DJI may well decide to not proceed with adding any new features.

What we can be sure about if they do release new firmware is :-

Well Jock, there's a community of P4s in the wild now running the 2.0.0.12 beta firmware. If DJI don't release a production version of this then they will be leaving a large number of people high-and-dry, and I don't believe they'd do that.
Otherwise, there is no official word that production has stopped - all statements on this have come from the same 'leaked' communication to a dealer. Regardless of whether this is true, DJI are still selling the P4 in their store.
I'm confident we will see new firmware, but then Easter is almost here and I'm expecting the Easter Bunny to bring me some eggs too... :-)
2017-3-9
Use props
Advocate
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm holding out hope that we will see more features added to our P4's via a firmware update.  DJI increasingly see themselves as the "Apple" of the drone world, and swapping to a common codebase and adding features to older models via firmware updates is very "Apple-like"
2017-3-10
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-9 19:55
..... If DJI don't release a production version of this then they will be leaving a large number of people high-and-dry, and I don't believe they'd do that...........
I'm confident we will see new firmware, .....

Another thread is advising that today's DJI Go 4 update appears to have removed those new options which were previously appearing for the P4 (gesture, terrain etc). I have not tested that new version myself at this stage. If the options have indeed been removed then it leads me to believe that DJI may have either a) changed the DJI Go 4 code so that those options don't appear until the correct firmware is loaded (that would make perfect sense) OR b) they have decided not to introduce those features for the P4 at all in which case they may release the beta firmware with bug fixes only but with the new features code redacted. I certainly hope that it's the first scenario because I would really like to have those features but my suspicion is that we may not see any new functionality in the P4.  I hope I'm wrong.
2017-3-16
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

JockC Posted at 2017-3-16 00:39
Another thread is advising that today's DJI Go 4 update appears to have removed those new options which were previously appearing for the P4 (gesture, terrain etc). I have not tested that new version myself at this stage. If the options have indeed been removed then it leads me to believe that DJI may have either a) changed the DJI Go 4 code so that those options don't appear until the correct firmware is loaded (that would make perfect sense) OR b) they have decided not to introduce those features for the P4 at all in which case they may release the beta firmware with bug fixes only but with the new features code redacted. I certainly hope that it's the first scenario because I would really like to have those features but my suspicion is that we may not see any new functionality in the P4.  I hope I'm wrong.

Oh bugger! I've downloaded the new version of GO, but not yet been able to run it up while connected to my P4 to see what has changed. I'll be reading other posts with interest...
2017-3-16
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

This is such a crock of ****. The release notes don't even address the issue. It's just bad form
2017-3-16
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 187493 ft
Canada

All the the options are still there using firmware 2.0.0.12 and GO 4.0.6

I tested using an old iphone fearing they would remove it the latest update.
2017-3-16
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Australia

RobSinfield Posted at 2017-3-16 06:00

That sounds promising. See the other thread which suggests that they were removed.  I'll give it a try myself tomorrow.
2017-3-16
Use props
Advocate
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Maybe the options have been taken out pending further testing? I would imagine that they were put in in the first place as DJI expected an imminent release of the firmware but hit some unexpected problems.
2017-3-16
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

RobSinfield Posted at 2017-3-16 06:00

Hi Rob. That does sound positive. Frankly, if the app is now able to check whether the firmware is capable of supporting the flight modes, and make them invisible if not (in much the same way as the app will do depending on whether you have a P4, P4P, Mavic, or Inspire), then that sounds like a smart move on their part to prevent confusion.
Have you tried operation of the intelligent flight modes on the beta yet? I haven'yt had the chance, and I'd be curious to know whether they still work.

And Advocate, I'm with you. That makes perfect sense.
2017-3-16
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.4
Canada

just tested the flight modes (illegally I might add since Canada has updated the regs) and they still work.

I'm probably going to be selling my drones since it's pretty much unusable here anymore.  Maybe get an extra buck or two due to the firmware
2017-3-17
Use props
fansc01fa879
First Officer
Flight distance : 984436 ft
United States

Why are you saying it's pretty unusable here anymore? I use my drone most the time outside the city, living in Calgary. With the new regs, it still manageable, will be flying at sunrise time...
2017-3-17
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.4
Canada

I'm in Toronto... "outside the city" is the next city... and the next city after that.  It's not worth the effort if I have to drive more than an hour to fly.
2017-3-17
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.4
Canada

fansc01fa879 Posted at 2017-3-17 10:32
Why are you saying it's pretty unusable here anymore? I use my drone most the time outside the city, living in Calgary. With the new regs, it still manageable, will be flying at sunrise time...

Also if you look at 5(d) in the interim order it stats "A person must not operate a model aircraft within controlled airspace"

below is a photo of all the controlled airspace in southern Canada as well as a zoom in on Calgary.  If you're just on the outskirts of town, you're in violation of the rules.
airspace.JPG calgary.JPG

2017-3-17
Use props
fansc01fa879
First Officer
Flight distance : 984436 ft
United States

Thanks. I am addicted to flying my drone and will continue until I get warning or fine. I bet 911 will have serious issue with people calling for drones instead for emergency. Give it a month and this bull**it will melt down
2017-3-17
Use props
Draiter
lvl.3
Flight distance : 39852 ft

Canada

911: what's your emergency.

CALLER:OMG OMG SOMEONE IS TRYING TO ABDUCT A CHILD FROM THE PARKING LOT OF THE MALL. THEY HAVE A GUN AND THEY POINTING IT AT PEOPLE

911: Sorry sir, our officers are all busy.

CALLER: WTF, THIS IS AN ATTEMPTED ABDUCTION WITH A WEAPON

911: I understand that sir, but we have reports of a man and child flying a UAV in their backyard, next to their home and that is a big no no. I'm sure the child being abducted at gun point and his parents wool understand that we have priorities.

2017-3-17
Use props
TexasTurbo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1172484 ft
United States

It's been a long time since a new firmware. As a suggestion DJi two phantom 4's fix the gimbal roll issue in sport mode or windy days in gps. It's a seldom problem but when it happens wow looking at the fpv did my quad just flip over scary lol. Also had both quad copters exhibit the gimbal flop unresponsive. Bring it back home, land it power it off and restart it gimbal works again like it should.
2017-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules