Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
IPad mini
1366 17 2017-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Asflyboy
lvl.1

United States

Does the iPad mini need to have a data plan to work with the Magic Pro?  Or will a wi fi iPad work just as well?
2017-3-11
Use props
SteveDickin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As I understand it, if you don't have the data plan like on a phone, then the feature "follow me" cannot work.  Although I use the iPad Mini without a data plan and "Active Tracking" works great and is much better than follow me in my opinion.  There may be some other small areas that are affected, but in short, No you don't require a data plan.
2017-3-11
Use props
Haz (albuquerqu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 497421 ft
  • >>>
United States

You just need the Gps thats built-in the ipad mini with celluar for follow me to work. The wifi mini does not have gps . You do not need a data plan, you just need a tablet with gps to be able to use all the flight modes.
2017-3-11
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

No data plan : I tried my Mavic for the first time this afternoon (amazing object !!!) with an ipad (to enjoy a greater screen instead of my smartphone) not connected to the internet and it worked perfectly

I first thought to use my smartphone to share data connection, but really wasn't necessary (except if you want to show the map maybe ?  in my case, it was a white screen with the home point and the drone : enough I would say)
2017-3-11
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

not much to loose as the maps are pretty poor anyway, and not worth having on screen almost,  and as op said active track works fairly well.  
2017-3-11
Use props
JmIsenberg86
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2454 ft
United States

A wifi one will work, it is what I use.  You just can't upload anything on the spot to say Facebook, until you're in an internet area.
2017-3-12
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never heard of the" magic pro" who makes it??
2017-3-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

i have an ipad mini 3 with cellular option, but I do not have any service plan/have the cell enabled. The Ipad mini 3 has a functioning GPS inside even without cell service activated.

https://www.lifewire.com/ipad-air-2-mini-gps-1683577

If I MUST have live internet connection when using it? I just hotspot it to my Iphone via the Bluetooth option
2017-3-12
Use props
Asflyboy
lvl.1

United States

Ooops typo.  Should be Mavic Pro
2017-3-12
Use props
High FlyerCokie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 701109 ft
New Zealand

M_str Posted at 2017-3-11 07:53
No data plan : I tried my Mavic for the first time this afternoon (amazing object !!!) with an ipad (to enjoy a greater screen instead of my smartphone) not connected to the internet and it worked perfectly

I first thought to use my smartphone to share data connection, but really wasn't necessary (except if you want to show the map maybe ?  in my case, it was a white screen with the home point and the drone : enough I would say)

I recently purchased iPad Mini 4 (wi-fi only) and the maps works for me. Cellular is another couple hundred.
2017-3-12
Use props
Haz (albuquerqu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 497421 ft
  • >>>
United States

High FlyerCokie Posted at 2017-3-12 14:24
I recently purchased iPad Mini 4 (wi-fi only) and the maps works for me. Cellular is another couple hundred.

I got a used ipad mini 4 with cellular for $300 (cell service not needed ) like i said the cellular version has GPS and you can use the follow me function which works better for me than active track and you can also change your home point while flying ,it will RTH where ever the RC is . Just more options for the mavic using a device with gps built-in.
2017-3-12
Use props
High FlyerCokie
lvl.2
New Zealand

Haz (albuquerqu Posted at 2017-3-12 15:32
I got a used ipad mini 4 with cellular for $300 (cell service not needed ) like i said the cellular version has GPS and you can use the follow me function which works better for me than active track and you can also change your home point while flying ,it will RTH where ever the RC is . Just more options for the mavic using a device with gps built-in.

$800 NZD 32 GB
2017-3-12
Use props
High FlyerCokie
lvl.2
New Zealand

My apologies forum users. Only reason my maps were working was because I had Wi-Fi. I have since experienced the blank screen and it sucks. So yes cellular (gps) or data is the only way to go.
So it either means back to my Z3 or anybody want to buy a cheap iPad Mini ............and I can upgrade.
2017-3-17
Use props
fansd3f41f6a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17802 ft
Canada

I have had the dji go app crash several times using Android phone and tablet so I am contemplating an iPad mini. Can anyone comment on a comparison between the iPad mini 2 or 4 (WiFi only).
2017-3-18
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

High FlyerCokie Posted at 2017-3-17 14:22
My apologies forum users. Only reason my maps were working was because I had Wi-Fi. I have since experienced the blank screen and it sucks. So yes cellular (gps) or data is the only way to go.
So it either means back to my Z3 or anybody want to buy a cheap iPad Mini ............and I can upgrade.

You can download maps in advance so I assume that is the solution.
2017-3-18
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

fansd3f41f6a Posted at 2017-3-18 05:31
I have had the dji go app crash several times using Android phone and tablet so I am contemplating an iPad mini. Can anyone comment on a comparison between the iPad mini 2 or 4 (WiFi only).

I believe the processing power of the Mini 2 can be underwhelming when compared to the Mini 4.  I think the screen brightness of the 4 vs. the 2 is a little higher but it may not matter that much.  The Mini 4 is available with 128 GB of RAM while the Mini 2 is much more constrained on RAM.

While the Mini 4 is more money than the 2, in the sense of longevity in usefulness, I went with the Mini 4 w/128 MB of RAM.

YMMV.
2017-3-18
Use props
High FlyerCokie
lvl.2
New Zealand

rick39 Posted at 2017-3-18 05:38
You can download maps in advance so I assume that is the solution.

Hi rick 39
Please do you know where to find the imformation about downloading as I ahve been told thios also from the DJi agent i bought my drone from but are still inthe dark about where how when? thanks
2017-3-19
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

I'm using Android, but hopefully it'll be the same for IOS.
Open the DJI GO 4  app, Tap the drop down icon top right (3 horizontal bars). One of the four headings should be "Offline Map". Choose your country and region. Most states will be around 280mb, the whole of the USA is 5G.
Just realised you're in New Zealand: only 241mb for your map.
2017-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules