Bright spot in DJI camera video output...
727 9 2017-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

I have seen this with my P4, with the P4 P and also with the Inspire 2  X5S .... I include a very short clip... see from about 20 sec - a bright spot appears (somewhat to the right lower part of the image....  What is this?  I'm flying away from the sun and everything is set up correctly...  Ruins a good video!  Any thoughts?

2017-3-11
Use props
Daroga
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Were you in free or follow camera mode as you panned to the right?

If free and the legs/motors/props stayed fixed, then it's low incident sunlight reflecting off of either the left or right gear/motor/prop (not sure what exactly) back and down into the lens...
2017-3-11
Use props
Electro-Nick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5989180 ft
United Kingdom

It's an atmospheric optical effect called Heiligenschein, very similar to The Glory and the Brocken Spectre (look it up on gurgle for more details) .  It always appears at the Antisolar point - 180degrees from the sun.

You won't get rid of it as it's nothing to do with the camera, lens or aircraft. If you absolutely need it to not appear in a particular shot, then you need to plan your shot for a particular time of day to account for the suns position.
2017-3-11
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

Electro-Nick Posted at 2017-3-11 16:25
It's an atmospheric optical effect called Heiligenschein, very similar to The Glory and the Brocken Spectre (look it up on gurgle for more details) .  It always appears at the Antisolar point - 180degrees from the sun.

You won't get rid of it as it's nothing to do with the camera, lens or aircraft. If you absolutely need it to not appear in a particular shot, then you need to plan your shot for a particular time of day to account for the suns position.

.... thank you.....!
2017-3-11
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

Daroga Posted at 2017-3-11 14:53
Were you in free or follow camera mode as you panned to the right?

If free and the legs/motors/props stayed fixed, then it's low incident sunlight reflecting off of either the left or right gear/motor/prop (not sure what exactly) back and down into the lens...

... with raised gear and the camera way down low??
2017-3-11
Use props
Daroga
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-3-11 21:04
... with raised gear and the camera way down low??

Electro-Nick explained it....... (THANKS!!!)

My point was that the aberration was fixed even when you panned, so it likely was coming indirectly from the sun... Sorry for the confusion.
2017-3-11
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for explaining this affect and giving the proper name that associates with it. I have always wondered why this happens at curtain times of the day!

Rich
2017-3-11
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

Daroga Posted at 2017-3-11 21:16
Electro-Nick explained it....... (THANKS!!!)

My point was that the aberration was fixed even when you panned, so it likely was coming indirectly from the sun... Sorry for the confusion.

No problem... at least you replied - much appreciated!
2017-3-11
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, this is correct. Also the reason it looks like that is because at that point the sun is directly behind the UAV thus creating no shadows from things on the ground. If the surface was completely flat, you would not see the bright spot. Also, the center of that spot would be the shadow of your UAV and if you were standing at that spot looking up at the sun you would see something like this.

EDIT: Ok I stand corrected. After googling Brocken Spectra, I do not think this is what you are seeing although, it is what I described. The absence of shadows around the point of direct sunlight. Brocken Spectra deals with water vapor and is more like a rainbow.  

Sun and UAV

Sun and UAV
2017-3-12
Use props
Electro-Nick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5989180 ft
United Kingdom

Brocken Spectre and Glory are similar effects, produced in slightly different ways to Heilegenschein. If you flew in to the antisolal point, you'd see that your shadow did begin to appear at the same location. The effect is caused by moisture and backscatter from vegetation and small dust/atmospheric particles. - it doesn't just need vegetation and can appear over sand too.

BTW, If you could stand at the antisolar point and look back towards the sun, then you'd see the quad in the centre of the sun ;)  
2017-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules